Experimental SPO-10

Frederf

I noticed there is no discussion of the new experimental SPO-10.

I noticed no red night filter or test button but I'm sure this is not a priority when looking at experimental behavior of the primary function.

The lights were flashing in different sectors, flashing more times as the distance decreased. Overlap of two sectors was quite small only 5-10 degrees making direct fore-aft-abeam rare.

This issues regarding lights were already reported: https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=916

And I'm happy to report back that issue with switching it off and on, test button function and filter have been fixed. We will be tomorrow submitting fixes to the ED.

As for the system functioning, yes, its feedback and reports that we're looking. Bring it on :)

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I don't want to bug report the experimental SPO-10, I want to discuss it generally. What's new, how is it used practically? When I see certain lights flash, what information should I be understanding?

What are people's thoughts about it? Is it easier to use? What tactics are different?

I know my comments sound like bugs but that's because that's all I know about it.

I think the only real huge change is that you still get the direction of a target, even if its locking you, so you still know where it is compared to you. Small change but huge impact for practicality.

There was somewhere a small webapp that showed how it works exactly and there it was also explained in much detail. In general the dots just give you the direction and they lighten up everytime it detects a radar beam going over your aircraft. Very simple. I think it can also detect the range somewhat, the amount of beeps (between 1 and 3) are changing on how intense the radar signal is you're detecting? At least thats how i understood it, so maybe i'm wrong about that thing.

Servus! :smilewink:

My DCS:World-Modules:

A-10C, UH-1H, F-86F, Fw-190D9, MiG-21bis, P-51D, Mi-8MTV2,Bf-109K4, MiG-15bis, L-39C, Hawk, NTTR, Mirage 2000C, SA342M Gazelle.

Wishlist:

P-40, F-104G/S, Saab J-35 Draken, A-1H Skyraider, Su-17/22M4. :music_whistling:

There seems to be a hardcoded maximum detection distance of about 50km, both for a radar in search mode and lock. Tested against F-18 and F-16, as well as MiG-29. It directly starts with 2 beeps after that. If I understand it correctly, the number of beeps should give you the intensity, so I would rather expect the first beeps to be single and maybe at a further distance. Have only tested against fighters yet.

Direction in lock works now up to very close.

I am unsure yet, what a Fox 3 does to the RWR, but I think it will only be detected very close from impact, without any time to evade.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No patchnotes if they don't send that to ED, but if it works, its nice to hear.

Servus! :smilewink:

My DCS:World-Modules:

A-10C, UH-1H, F-86F, Fw-190D9, MiG-21bis, P-51D, Mi-8MTV2,Bf-109K4, MiG-15bis, L-39C, Hawk, NTTR, Mirage 2000C, SA342M Gazelle.

Wishlist:

P-40, F-104G/S, Saab J-35 Draken, A-1H Skyraider, Su-17/22M4. :music_whistling:

I guess we forgot to add the line to patchnotes. But code was submitted on Monday, so it should've made it. I didnt have time to download newest patch yet.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

I tried the new experimental spo-10 in multiplayer and I don’t see any difference to the behavior it did before. When I was locked up all four lights came on and I had no indication of the direction the source was coming from. Am I doing something wrong? The experimental box is checked. :helpsmilie:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I havent seen any significant reports except for some feature improvements such as making it louder. I'll ask our programmer to make it standard.

Yes, I havent seen any significant reports except for some feature improvements such as making it louder. I'll ask our programmer to make it standard.

:thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Done. It wont be in the upcoming update (which apparently as Bignewy says is today) but we've got that change on our track now.