Multiplayer Chat

skunkrider2

Afternoon all,:helpsmilie:

Ive just started using multi player online to play DCS. I cannot understand how you open messages (a small envelope on left hand side of screen while playing) as well as chatting to other players?

Also is there a easy guide on how to set up headphones so you can actually talk to other players while flying?

thanks in advance.

Tab is the default hide/show buttom for the chat if if my mind doesn't play tricks on me.

There is no built-in VoIP. Third party software is needed and which one is up to the server. Some use TS3, some use Discord, some (most? :]) use SRS. Some uses a combination of multiple. Check the server briefing/description on what VoIP software to use :)

Tab (open the chat window) - no text input line, really only used to toggle the chat on/off

Tab+CTRL (Write to Team-only)

Tab+SHIFT (Write to all players on the server)

You can also hit that little switch near the buttom area inside the chat window (it is yellow afaik) to switch between "team-only" and "all players".

The chat controls feel a little weird at first but they will feel natural after some time :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm been venturing a little on MP, but the communication aspect of it has been the most intimidating part. I did install SRS, but it doesn't seem to work for the I-16 that I fly on the WWII servers (I-16 doesn't have a radio, so I imagine SRS is not supported). Does the chat window work in VR??

13 hours ago, Doc3908 said:

Does the chat window work in VR??

Yes... but typing in VR is rather difficult because you have to lift your headset every time (unless you know how to type blindfolded).

A little side option is to use the Scratchpad plugin and then type in the scratchpad with the onboard keyboard, select your text with the mouse, ctrl-c (mouse copy doesn't work) and then copy/paste that into the chat (again no mouse so you have to use ctrl-v to paste). 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

8 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Yes... but typing in VR is rather difficult because you have to lift your headset every time (unless you know how to type blindfolded).

A little side option is to use the Scratchpad plugin and then type in the scratchpad with the onboard keyboard, select your text with the mouse, ctrl-c (mouse copy doesn't work) and then copy/paste that into the chat (again no mouse so you have to use ctrl-v to paste). 

Thanks, Lange_666. SRS is the way to go, but it doesn't work for all aircraft and I feel awkward when people are talking to me and I can't reply. 

What about manually setting SRS radio to a certain freq in the I-16 via the radio overlay?

FC3 aircraft have radio's but these can't be set in the cockpit.

But you can set any frequency you want via the overlay, might work for the I-16 too (can't test it, don't have the I-16). 

Edit: Although i'm not sure the radio overlay is visible in VR, if not, it would put you back to square one...

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

18 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Edit: Although i'm not sure the radio overlay is visible in VR, if not, it would put you back to square one...

Just tested:

This overlay

image.png

isn't visible in VR so you can't tune the radio's from in there.