Update for A-10

Bloodhound57

Hey guys,

It has been mentioned that the A-10C will be getting some "love" from ED in the form of an update. What are you guys expecting for this update?

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

For me, the worst aspect of the A-10 is the almost illegible HUD ... I hope they will improve it :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well what I'm going to say isn't necessarily about the upcoming update that nobody knows when it's coming out but these are the things I would like to see in the update (assuming this update will be released in order to improve some of the technologies and not bring new items to the game);

Better textures (especially the cockpit), new weapons textures, new flight model for some bombs (JDAM) and possibly the AGM-65, better sounds, new lighting (NAV lights for example) are some of the things I would like to see. But what I'm expecting is new textures, that's it.

Hopefully, it's more than that... :)

No big update should coming without approval of USA air forces. A10C was released becauses there is a professional version made for US Air National Guard and US Air Forces Reserve, that's why we've got the A10C. If I remember well there is a closure between ED and USAF, they cannot modify A10C, that's why we cannot have "updates"

Boy the cockpit needs work. I have been flying the FA-18C for a couple weeks, and over the weekend I was just frustrated so decided to hop in the trusty Hog and blow some shit up. I could not fly the jet. Bearing in mind I am on a very low spec system, but coming from the Hornet cockpit that I can read to not even being able to make out the HUD properly in the Hog. I don't actually know how I flew it with my old eyes in the past. I had to go on memory to remember what button does what and got spoiled in the Hornet being able to actually read the cockpit.

Can't wait for ED to update the graphics in the Hog, it will be like a whole new jet and fun to get back into.

I cant understand what the issue with the hud is? It's clear and no problem to use for me, and always has been?? Also looking forward to an update, i'd like to see some up to date skins and models, pave penny removed etc

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

HUD scaling

A correctly scaled HUD when in VR would be wonderful please

This. Scaling in VR seems off. It is too big. I've read that in the real jet the pilot must move his head to see all of it, but i don't think is suppose to be everything. Right now I have to lean and sink my head in order to see the nose symbol or raise my head quite a bit to see the heading tape at the bottom.

Also, fix thermal imaging and better resolution for cockpit of course.

I cant understand what the issue with the hud is? It's clear and no problem to use for me, and always has been?? Also looking forward to an update, i'd like to see some up to date skins and models, pave penny removed etc
I am on a very low spec machine and battle to see the HUD very well. Can not read any labels in the cockpit, I go from memory. I zoom close to the HUD which feels a little un real. If they get the A-10 to look like the Hornet it would be so cool. I miss the 30mm when flying the Hornet.

Will pull a screen shot of each tomorrow for comparison.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm on a very average rig using Track IR and what I do is lean back just a little when I center my TIR and then reset my seat location and I can easily see all the HUD info. Is that not possible with VR? Textures have to be on high or else displays and placards are soft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

That's gun camera video, not a video from the pilot's perspective.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, but my point about forcing the pilot to move around to be able to see all of the information on the HUD still stands.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, but my point about forcing the pilot to move around to be able to see all of the information on the HUD still stands.

Pretty sure our resident crew chiefs have confirmed that's the way it is? Or maybe the behavior you are describing is more pronounced. There are a lot of posts here regarding HUD/cockpit scaling, in 2D and in VR, with comments covering the spectrum of "100% accurate/realistic" to "completely wrong." That indicates to me that there is a lot of variation in the way we are all configuring our systems and settings. I just got all of my stuff unpacked and set up this week, after six long months of moving/renovating, so I hope to start sorting through this issue for myself soon.

dcs_sig.jpg

I always fly in VR and looking at some of the 2d videos, on YouTube, there does appear to be a difference between the two. The vertical scaling in VR, in particular, appears to be off, with there being no chance of seeing the bottom and top of the HUD information from the default, or any other, viewpoint.

I always fly in VR and looking at some of the 2d videos, on YouTube, there does appear to be a difference between the two. The vertical scaling in VR, in particular, appears to be off, with there being no chance of seeing the bottom and top of the HUD information from the default, or any other, viewpoint.

What I'm saying is that there are people reporting all possible states (perfect in VR, useless in VR, perfect in 2D, useless in 2D, everything in-between). If all are to be believed, then there must be a way to achieve positive results.

dcs_sig.jpg

What I'm saying is that there are people reporting all possible states (perfect in VR, useless in VR, perfect in 2D, useless in 2D, everything in-between). If all are to be believed, then there must be a way to achieve positive results.

There is a sweet spot that you *have* to work to find. And it depends on how good your eye sight is. And it depends on the horsepower of your PC.

So there's a lot that can give such conflicting results/reports.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Subjectivity is always going to be an issue, but when in the default view, although the text on the HUD is perfectly readable, the HUD is simply too big. If I move the pilot's position forward, to where it was for years, then I can indeed see the whole HUD, but that puts the pilot right on top of the joystick.

Although some users might be OK with this, there are obviously others that are not, otherwise ED would not have moved the default to a more realistic position. When they moved it however, they appear to have done just half of the job, as they do not appear to have accounted for the fact that the HUD projection screen effectively appears smaller, the further away you are from it.

Subjectivity is always going to be an issue, but when in the default view, although the text on the HUD is perfectly readable, the HUD is simply too big. If I move the pilot's position forward, to where it was for years, then I can indeed see the whole HUD, but that puts the pilot right on top of the joystick.

Although some users might be OK with this, there are obviously others that are not, otherwise ED would not have moved the default to a more realistic position. When they moved it however, they appear to have done just half of the job, as they do not appear to have accounted for the fact that the HUD projection screen effectively appears smaller, the further away you are from it.

Yeah, seems they did not take the perspective change into account?

Since the HUD is focused at infinity, moving back away from it will reduce the apparent size of the HUD frame relative to the projection, so you will see less of the projection. Seems like an easy fix, which means it probably isn't. I dunno.

dcs_sig.jpg