Metric-Imperial Change at Any Time

Frederf

Please add the function to change the units used in the GUI from imperial to metric during mission run time and in the mission editor.

It is common for flying users and mission makers to wish to change systems of units while flying or designing flight plans for different aircraft which naturally use one system or the other.

Currently the only way to change unit systems is to return to the main menu which is completely disruptive to single player, mission editing, and multiplayer.

Hopefully the change of run time unit would be accomplished by a key combination similar to the method of changing geographic coordinate formats. In cases where a key combination is impractical (mission editor) a clickable GUI button could be added.

• Like 1

+1

I cannot stress how extremely useful this would be, at least in the mission editor, it would also be helpful to have this for ATC, but mind you the latter is in need of a major overhaul anyway.

And it shouldn't just apply to coordinates, it should also apply for distances/altitudes (feet, miles, nautical miles, kilometres, metres) and also speed (m/s, kph, mph, kts) and these ideally should be available especially when mission editing, maybe by way of a drop-down box/boxes

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

+1

Beeing able to change the unit system for distances at any time using a key combo, just like it is possible to change the coordinate system would be great!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes please! I keep running into having the wrong system selected all the time. Quickly measure target elevation to calculate a bomb deliver profile for the F-5E? Great, I have metric selected. End mission. Plotting waypoints for the Viggen? Great, I have imperial selected. Close the ME.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

+1 we also need the coordinate display to be changeable direct from F10 map or at least in options on the fly, it's soooo annoying when you switch from US planes to Mirage.

MB for pressure would be nice as well but it's easy to print out a conversion sheet so not a big deal.

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

I am curious, how do you change the geographic coordinate system while in flight? Thanks!

Not sure DCS has this available - but most modern jets IRL allow you to work in whatever coordinate system you want usually with a push button on the UFC. You can have DDMM.MM or DDMMSS or MGRS or UTM, etc.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

We also need millibars added for the ME weather / briefing. Currently we only have In.Hg. and Torr. I have to do conversions every time I fly the Viggen or Mirage.

I would love to have ATIS and Tower winds in kts/hr rather than m/s.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I would like to see units on awacs/gci calls. Is it nm or km? ft or m?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 6 months later...

Just so we're on the same page, the mission editor allows you to switch between metric and imperial without closing it. Under the top, select 'view' and it allows you to select imperial or metric.

Unfortunately it isn't available within missions themselves.

That said I would still like to be able to customise units - some aircraft use mph for speed and not knots or kph. For fuel it might be useful to have volume measurements (most soviet/russian aircraft seem to use litres instead of kg - obviously it should still tell you the fuel mass).  

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There is a keyboard shortcut to switch in flight the units. At least I have this recollection that Wags himself mentioned it somewhere.

IMHO it should be a button in the editor at bottom left corner to swap out without menu. And in flight it's same thing, make it at bottom left in F10 map or the status bar.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.