Alerax's LSO AI Script

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the clarification.

Will it work if I just set the radio to the carrier's frequency without calling inbound ?

arkroyale048 - Yep. There is no need to actually call the Carrier (unless for the Carrier to turn on landing lights).

Alerax,

Thanks for this new dimension in DCS. I was wondering if anyone was going to do this.

I agree with some of the feedback where people said it would be nice if you can tell if the LSO was triggered or not. In the usual pattern, I also think a good place would be in the abeam position, if the LSO can say "paddles contact" or even if just a subtitle shows up saying LSO activated. Same with if you are flying a straight in such as in Case III. I've flown a whole pattern all the way to the trap without a single LSO call (and I did have it tuned in) so I never knew if it was working or not. Once the only call I ever got was "call the ball" (because I'm THAT good in the pattern, haha) and then coaching to the wires--so I never knew it was working until I was in the groove.

If you want to do a straight in trap, do you still need to fly starboardside of the carrier to trigger the LSO? If so, can we change that?

Also it would be nice if the LSO calls were louder to begin with. I changed the audio settings to what you advised but I think in general it would still be nice.

Someone else suggested adding more audio calls, a la FSX vLSO. I agree. Your calls are great, but I can see one hearing them all over time and them getting repetitive.

I have a video on YouTube of a carrier landing in FSX using vLSO if you;d like to hear some of their calls (and see what they've been doing in FSX for an LSO). PM me if you'd like the link.

Great job overall, and looking forward to new developments with it.

v6,

boNes

v6,

boNes

Hi boNes-

In this release version I'm working on, the LSO will call "Check-in Clear" when you are flying starboard (right) side before the break. This will let you know that you have correctly triggered all the requirements.

Yes- I have added an ability to do both break pattern and straight in this new version as well.

Happy to see the link for the vLSO. Maybe I can add some more calls. However, my concern with more audio calls it the size of the mission file itself. Right now the new version has 84 different audio calls and the mission size is ~2mb. I'm afraid if we add more it would be difficult to load in MP.

Thanks for your feedback!

Where are the last 15 recorded? Is this something that can be exported for tracking purposes? I’ve read through this thread but I can’t find anywhere the last 15 are noted.

I know I can see them through the F10 menu, it would be nice if the data could be exported.

Hi TonyG- new version will include an export script. Stay tuned!

Hi TonyG- new version will include an export script. Stay tuned!

Awesome, thanks!!!

Any way of scripting something if you stay in the pattern? After launch, gear stays down, <800’, then you can circle for another pass? It would be good to be able to add in carquals without having to leave the patttern and reenter.

Awesome, thanks!!!

Any way of scripting something if you stay in the pattern? After launch, gear stays down, <800’, then you can circle for another pass? It would be good to be able to add in carquals without having to leave the patttern and reenter.

Hey TonyG- Yes. New script version will ability to do a straight-in approach. This means, no need to do overhead break for LSO calls. It also means that there will be no Long in the Groove calls, etc.

If you want to practice approaches, I suggest you leave the hook up. You'll get the bolter calls, but the script will still give your performance/grading report.

Alerax,

Iunderstand your concern re: filesize. I just checked vLSO'S sounfdiles and they total ~4 MB for 144 wav files.

Keep up the great work!

v6,

boNes

PS I 2nd the motion of having the grades recorded somehow

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Alerax,

I'd second the more stuff from the VLSO, for our dedicated squadron server the mission loads up very quickly, so I wouldn't see it being an issue to update it with more sounds if the scripts can support it.

One note however for feedback, when you're in the groove flying the ball with the IFLOS, I've noticed that the LSO will occasionally tell me I'm a little high even though the ball is centered. Maybe the deck is pitching, I can't be sure, but the high calls do seem a little too strict.

Thanks for your contribution, it's a great piece of work.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your insights mdhoover- agree with the unit conversions, it was really for me when thinking about flight parameters. Also, not necessarily with the velocity vector. It depends on what you want to get assess.

May want to reconsider that atan(Z/X) you use when trying to work out the angle between carrier and aircraft (in carrier model reference frame, divide by zero).

az = atan2(X,Z)*rad2deg;

if az < -90 then az = az + 180;

if az > 90 then az = az - 180 ;

Looking forward to see what you do for the case3 marshall stack

Edited by mdhoover

This sounds awesome!

Does this script break the integrity check in MP?

No, I tested both Open Beta and Release, and does not break the integrity.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

Hi all, I am one of those wishing to make the calls slightly louder. I used Audacity (which is free software) to batch-edit all the files. In my case, +15 dB amplification was enough to approximately match loudness of default ATC voice.

And one more suggestion to enhance LSO even further. It seems that LSO orders me "power" only after I go below certain angle (2.5 degrees I guess). Can he probably call "power" or at least "power back on" if I am still within reference range, but sinking through it at dangerous vertical speed, say 900 fpm?

For example, this is video of my landing in high wind and 3 m/s turbulence. Around 3:00, combination of random turbulence and my power correction dropped me at 900 fpm. If I didn't go almost afterburner I would have surely hit the ramp. I guess that experienced LSO could spot this tendency and shout "power" in advance.

Edited by abak

Hi all, I am one of those wishing to make the calls slightly louder. I used Audacity (which is free software) to batch-edit all the files. In my case, +15 dB amplification was enough to approximately match loudness of default ATC voice.

And one more suggestion to enhance LSO even further. It seems that LSO orders me "power" only after I go below certain angle (2.5 degrees I guess). Can he probably call "power" or at least "power back on" if I am still within reference range, but sinking through it at dangerous vertical speed, say 900 fpm?

For example, this is video of my landing in high wind and 3 m/s turbulence. Around 3:00, combination of random turbulence and my power correction dropped me at 900 fpm. If I didn't go almost afterburner I would have surely hit the ramp. I guess that experienced LSO could spot this tendency and shout "power" in advance.

I started thatand stopped mid way..

do you mind sharing the files ?

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I started thatand stopped mid way..

do you mind sharing the files ?

Hi there i done the same think just +10 dB

sounds.rar

303 & Friends discord

Hangar :

JF-17 Thunder, F-16C Viper, I-16, Christen Eagle II, F-14 Tomcat, Supercarrier, WWII Assets Pack, F/A-18C Hornet, AJS-37 Viggen, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E Tiger II, M-2000C, MiG-15bis, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst, Fw 190 D-9 Dora, F-86F Sabre, Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D Mustang, A-10C Warthog,SA342 Gazelle, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Black Shark II, Persian Gulf Map, Normandy 1944 Map,

Hi there i done the same think just +10 dB

Thanks tees for doing this.

FYI for all- the new script I'm working on has updated sound files with +10db gain in audacity. Right now it's going through some MP testing for stability and robustness for handling weird situations (e.g., player quitting/leaving etc.).

I wanted to release this updated script this past weekend, but hit a snafu on some DCS limitations. Now that it's ironed out, expect something for this weekend.

-Alerax

All-

I want to give the community a quick update. We're running a lot of tests in MP to ensure the new features of the LSO script incorporates well with extended MP sessions and missions.

Features being tested:

- Case I Marshal stack procedures and calls

- Procedures to enter pattern without Marshal stack

- Procedures for straight in approach

- Grading export to txt file

- Weather conditions requests

- MP unit join/leave server script stability

- Tweaking LSO calls (building framework to increase LSO sophistication)

I really appreciate all your feedback so far. All these changes are from the community requests, so I look forward to hearing more once v2.0 is released.

Thanks,

Alerax

Thanks Alerax!

Awesome addon for the game but for some reason when i run a mission with your script my keybinds double up on some of the controls.

Any ideas why this is happening?

I should note that any other mission without your script my controls are normal and my friends also have the exact same problem.

Thanks again!

Something we encountered today is that my buddy got waved off (too close abeam) but the message got stepped on by my receiving a "roger ball." This left us wondering why the LSO wasn't talking to him any more until I checked the grades and saw the waveoff. Talking to the guy in the groove should take priority, but it would be great if messages to other aircraft in the pattern still played fully.

Also, could we ask for a "carrier quals" mode that doesn't require the full break pattern? Going off what I can find on youtube, it's entirely normal to go straight from the catapult to the downwind if you're just trying to do some traps rather than returning from a mission. Sorry if this has already been requested.

Just wondering. After a trap (successful or not) is there a way to trigger the LSO again? Because if not, then you have to fly all the way around to come up the initial on the starboard side of the boat to get an LSO again. It would be nice to be able to trigger the LSO on deck or off the bow in addition to the starboard side.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

If you bolter, the LSO will still work without having to re-enter the 800ft pattern, so if you want to stay in the landing pattern without going around, just keep your hook up.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you bolter, the LSO will still work without having to re-enter the 800ft pattern, so if you want to stay in the landing pattern without going around, just keep your hook up.

...bit confused. Did you mean keep your hook in the landing configuration? Normally after a bolter, I'll remain in the pattern (up BRC, turn downwind at interval, 600', onspeed), and not touch any of my gear/flaps/hook again until trapped on deck.

Regards,

Curveball

VFA-113 STINGERS #302