DCS Bf 109K-4

Psonally I'm more a 109 guy usually but agree that the Dora is more pleasant to fly atm (which is a pitty since I really had high hopes for the 109 to become my favourite ride).

Obviously it (the K4) still lacks some final touches here and there, especially the FM (at least in my opinion). It feels good and solid but has some strange aerodynamical behaviour to it I ave not seen on any plane so far. It drove me to do what I try to prevent most, modify my joystick curve in order to take off and fly it somewhat more stable.

I remember the 190 being very tailheavy during it's early beta stage and how this was patched later on and I hope the same to account to the 109 some day.

Creator of the

Immersive Daimler Benz Soundmod

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psonally I'm more a 109 guy usually but agree that the Dora is more pleasant to fly atm (which is a pitty since I really had high hopes for the 109 to become my favourite ride).

Obviously it (the K4) still lacks some final touches here and there, especially the FM (at least in my opinion). It feels good and solid but has some strange aerodynamical behaviour to it I ave not seen on any plane so far. It drove me to do what I try to prevent most, modify my joystick curve in order to take off and fly it somewhat more stable.

I remember the 190 being very tailheavy during it's early beta stage and how this was patched later on and I hope the same to account to the 109 some day.

May I ask, how much throttle do you fly with?

If you stick to 1.2 ATA it is pretty stable.

With 1.2 ATA and +1 trim, you hardly need to touch the stick at take off, only the rudder.

At 1.2 ATA I can fly it safely under bridges, for me it is hard to do the same in the Dora.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

May I ask, how much throttle do you fly with?....

Odd, the Dora is very stable for me at neutral trim positon. I barely need to retrim it to keep a certain flight attitude since the FM was patch.

Without going too deep into detail (I know it's no FM discussion) the K4 has a weird pitch angle behaviour I noticed during Takeoff and sub cruise speeds (<400 km/h) mainly in the 1.0 -1.42 ata range. Usually I take off and fly with the 2 frontheavy trim position and only retrim it while on landing approach to counter it's uppitch habbits.

In my tests it flew level and fine while having a horizontal attitude with noseheavy trim. However once increasing the pitch angle above like 5° and centering the stick the plane shows a very noticeably tendency to "automaticly" keep increasing the picth angle. If you push the nose down to an horizontal anle it will overreact and wobble till it's perfectly level again and trim does it's job keeping it straight.

As I said it's a weird behaviour I have not seen before on any aircraft (including my real flight expirience). I'm not an aeronautic engineer but sth tells me it's not quite right.

Anyway after adjusting the pitch curve to this (I really hate to do this as it often ruins the "natural" feeling of an airplane) it felt more controllable even at positive pitch angles.

4wmci5h3.jpg

Edited by 5tuka

Creator of the

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Odd, the Dora is very stable for me at neutral trim positon. I barely need to retrim it to keep a certain flight attitude since the FM was patch.

I didn't mean I couldn't do it in the Dora, for me it just feels more comfortable in the 109.

It was a way of describing how stable it feels to me. :)

Without going too deep into detail (I know it's no FM discussion) the K4 has a weird pitch angle behaviour I noticed during Takeoff and sub cruise speeds (<400 km/h) mainly in the 1.0 -1.42 ata range. Usually I take off and fly with the 2 frontheavy trim position and only retrim it while on landing approach to counter it's uppitch habbits.

In my tests it flew level and fine while having a horizontal attitude with noseheavy trim. However once increasing the pitch angle above like 5° and centering the stick the plane shows a very noticeably tendency to "automaticly" keep increasing the picth angle. If you push the nose down to an horizontal anle it will overreact and wobble till it's perfectly level again and trim does it's job keeping it straight.

As I said it's a weird behaviour I have not seen before on any aircraft (including my real flight expirience). I'm not an aeronautic engineer but sth tells me it's not quite right.

Anyway after adjusting the pitch curve to this (I really hate to do this as it often ruins the "natural" feeling of an airplane) it felt more controllable even at positive pitch angles.

4wmci5h3.jpg

Well, as I understand, it was a tail heavy aircraft, and probably more so with full tanks in the body.

As I understand, there were also limits to how much nose heavy it could be trimmed, because you would then get difficulties pulling out from a dive.

And, from other discussions on the subject, I believe ED has researched quite a bit into the 109's behaviour, including interviews with both current pilots as well as with a veteran from WW II.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of setting up curves to change an aircraft's behaviour.

I'd rather try to learn to master it as it is. :)

I try to fly at around 1.1 - 1.3 ATA (mostly at 1.2) and trim from +1 to +2 depending.

I also experiment a bit with the manual propeller pitch, for me it makes a difference, and is useful to trim better.

But, good luck with it. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Yea, I don't like it either. It doesn't feel like a tailheavy CoG (which would effect the planes stability at any pitch angle) but more like a CoL / lift polar issue as I can't think of anything else possibly causing this seemingly "unnatural" behaviour.

I do practise ingame and in reality quite a lot and as I said it meets many of my expectations well but only this particular issue. I'll probably have to wait until it's finished to be able to adopt a more suffisticated solution.

Still thx for your help.

Creator of the

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

Can i use rockets on Bf 109 ??

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• 3 weeks later...

HI all.

I have been searching the web with no luck and I was wondering maybe to ask here. Those anyone can share some info of the measurement of the BF 109 k4 specific.... wing size, length...etc. What I have get are randomly numbers.

Thanks A bunch.

<S>

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

after the last, i think, 1.5.7 patch Bf got new glass on instruments, hopefully it will be add in to 2.1 and rest of WWII planes soon, really like it :thumbup:

Screen_170716_123315.thumb.jpg.b0981fc126895e0d9e26b158b361b774.jpg

Screen_170716_134553.thumb.jpg.7f75c30d6d3dd18551bf221154a1d869.jpg

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Yes, indeed saburo!

I re-installed DCS World last week, the 1.5 Open Beta ( I do not own v2 ) and the 109, Spitfire and UH-1H, and was very positively surprised by various changes since I last had used DCS World, including the scattering in the cockpit and the instrument reflections! They're all great and had no impact in the smoothness of the sim on my old rig!

Actually, I feared I might feel the effect of some of the updates on this rather old i5 2500, but DCS appears to be running even smoother than before !

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...