Hardware and DCS

I am considering getting an SSD for DCS, and I have a few questions.

What do I need to do to get DCS to run again on the new hard drive? Or just a fresh install?

Do I need to un-register my computer somehow with current DCS because it will detect different hardware?

Last, how will an SSD help with DCS in general, will it increase load times on bigger maps with more objectives on it, etc.?

Thanks

Assuming your using standalone, you just move it over to the new drive. That's what I have done twice now (first to SSD then to NVME). If you have Steam it's a bit more complicated, but you can still get it moved over.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/move-steam-games-another-drive-folder/amp

I have also used this method.

Finally, you can use a Windows function to ''redirect'' calls for files to the new directory location, which I have also done for KCD. So, you have options. For DCS, it's not difficult and doesn't require a reinstall.

And yes, putting it on a SSD is an extremely good idea. It solves a lot of minor performance issues, and also vastly improves load times.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I never tried it, I played it safe, but apparently as others are claiming that storage devices aren't part of the ... HWID? ... apparently so changing them won't change anything for the copy protection.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I started playing DCS in November 18 using a mechanical HDD (didn't believe the hype i suppose).

After seeing a 240gb SSD for £25 i bought one and compressed my C: from around 700gb to just 215gb. All it contained was the OS, ETS2 ATS and of course DCS.

WOW!!!! i was blown away by the speed of it. I cannot understand why it took my close to 4 years to put an SSD in there after all i built the thing. Think i put all my cash into the CPU/GPU.

I've since bought a 1tb Samsung 860 evo and have all my games installed on it.

Buy it it was the best upgrade since building my PC in 2015 very easy to move everything across to it too.

VR capable

Gents:

I just confirmed my pd is 67mm. That is within the 54 - 72. However, it is on the wide side:<( I am going forward with updating my TrackerIR setup ... I want to c what the COsmos, the Index and oe other will offer.

I currently operate the following:

4770 K not oc. I am waiting for my deliding/reliding kit.. I want to oc to 4.2. I will use liquid metal between the chip ad the IHS.

I have only 15 gigs of mem

I have a Dell 30" 50Hz 2560 x 1600 monitor which I am swapping with a work station for the Asus 24" 144Hz, 1 ms .. downside is it is only 1080 reso.

SLI GTX 970 (2).

TM HOTAS Cougar upgraded

Should receive my new TrackerIR 5, the new Tracker side mounted IR tracker, I found my other one:<),,, And I ordered the new TrackerHat tracker... it looks great and has great reviews.

My flight chair needs to be rebuilt. It looks like a baby chair with side mounts for the Hotas, adding a mouse mount on left, I am widening the arms out to give me more comfortable leg room....

Well, I did it without issue and can confirm that all I needed to do was copy and paste and then create a new shortcut for the game to play on my desktop. The SSD did solve my stuttering issue with VR and taking long load times when cycling through F2 or loading maps with lots of AI.

Which graphics card would be a good choice for DCS for the next 5 years, if you are not using VR? I have a two years old 1050 TI and I wonder when it is a good time to buy a new graphics card for about 200-300€.

Both the gtx 1660ti and the Vega 56 offer 1070-like performance in 1080 or 1440p . Both would be a substantial step up from your 1050ti , and both are within your budget .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Which graphics card would be a good choice for DCS for the next 5 years, if you are not using VR? I have a two years old 1050 TI and I wonder when it is a good time to buy a new graphics card for about 200-300€.

Answer is always the same. The most powerful GPU that fits your budget.

There's a new AMD GPU coming in July (by all reports). So if nothing else, it may help drive down some of the GPU prices.

But it *certainly* won't be a good choice for the next 5 years. I mean your 1050 is only 3 years old and you're looking for an upgrade. I don't know if any GPU is a "keeper" for 5 years unless you don't mind staying put DCS version and performance wise.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, if the price for the Vega 64 drops at around 300€ in the following weeks, I could take that instead.

But it *certainly* won't be a good choice for the next 5 years. I mean your 1050 is only 3 years old and you're looking for an upgrade. I don't know if any GPU is a "keeper" for 5 years unless you don't mind staying put DCS version and performance wise.

Yeah, but the 1050 has always been a rather low budget card. Now I am ready to buy a mid or high budget card. As long as the FPS do not drop below 40 in DCS, I will be quite happy with it.