First VR Experience in Odyssey +

Eaglewings

OMG! A 4 minutes pleasure ride.

My Samsung odyssey plus came today and I did my very first flight in the cockpit of the FA-18C, unbelievable experience. I cannot believe what I seeing and my body is feeling. Absolutely phenomenal.

The cockpit is so different from what we see on 2D desktop screen, like the real hornet cockpit.

The weird thing I noticed is that I am sitting on my gaming seat and I roll and turn and you would literally feel you are moving on your seat. That is so cool.

In all the article I have read and youtube video I have watched on VR, none has come close to describing how VR really is. It takes being there.

I am slightly nauseated. I have not change any setting. Just tried on my laptop with a low spec and quickly came to the forum to say how great the experience was.

However, I am getting 25 FPS and that could be causing the nausea.

Laptop Spec

GPU= GTX 1060 max Q

CPU= i5 77300HQ 2.5hz

RAM= 16G

Storage= SSD

My desktop system, unfortunately, has the same spec but would be looking for a fairly priced RTX2070 or 2080. I did not see any stuttering or glitch in that few minutes ride but I will appreciate any tweaking in setting to make the experience on this low spec system better

I most certainly see myself saving for a high-end rig setup to get the most out VR.

This just amazing.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

My Samsung odyssey plus came today and I did my very first flight in the cockpit of the FA-18C, unbelievable experience. I cannot believe what I seeing and my body is feeling. Absolutely phenomenal.

The cockpit is so different from what we see on 2D desktop screen, like the real hornet cockpit.

The weird thing I noticed is that I am sitting on my gaming seat and I roll and turn and you would literally feel you are moving on your seat. That is so cool.

In all the article I have read and youtube video I have watched on VR, none has come close to describing how VR really is. It takes being there.

I am slightly nauseated. I have not change any setting. Just tried on my laptop with a low spec and quickly came to the forum to say how great the experience was.

Laptop Spec

GPU= GTX 1060 max Q

CPU= i5 77300HQ 2.5hz

RAM= 16G

Storage= SSD

My desktop system, unfortunately, has the same spec but would be looking for a fairly priced RTX2070 or 2080. I did not see any stuttering or glitch in that few minutes ride but I will appreciate any tweaking in setting to make the experience on this low spec system better

I most certainly see myself saving for a high-end rig setup to get the most out VR.

This just amazing.

Welcome to the "can never go back" VR club! :D

While ED is getting the FPS optimization code ready, do check this thread out:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3559379&postcount=1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Welcome to the "can never go back" VR club! :D

While ED is getting the FPS optimization code ready, do check this thread out:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3559379&postcount=1

Thanks a lot Hansangb.

I now see why it is often said that once you go vr, it hard to go back to 2d screen. On a different scale entirely.

The future would be great for flight sim if this amazing piece of gadget is further developed. Mehn, seriously fancy my hand on the HP reverb with its advertised high resolution.

I would meticulously go through your linked thread.

Cheers.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I loved Apollo 11 Landing. And believe it or not, Minecraft in VR is pretty cool. Positively claustrophobic when you're digging that tunnel! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Congratulations! These 'First time in VR' posts never get old :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I kept putting my left forarm out to rest on the edge of the cockpit and pretty-much tilted over. Chair arm is lower. :)
I did my first VR free flight in my odyssey plus last night, omg I could not believe what I was experiencing. It is phenomenal.

What I could not get is the feeling you get when in a turn, you seat would feel like it is actually moving with you.

Absolutely way to go in flight sim

:thumbup:

Yeah never gets old reading these posts.

Installed my Rift CV1 on Jan 15th 2017, and I still get very excited each time - and that is using it almost daily.

I have not done any gaming on my monitor since.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yep , no one who has never experienced it has any clue of what it's like . And no one who has experienced it can adequately describe it . Congrats !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah, what Hans said. Welcome to the never-going-back-to-pancake-club! :D:joystick:

Try a helo in VR. Will be your second amazement. :P

Sure thing with the helo. I have the KA-50

Thanks fellows. It is a blast.

VR is actually worth it.

Thanks

How's the odyssey plus compared to the oculus as far as clarity? I've been thinking of upgrading my oculus rift to the new model S or to an Odyssey plus.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Laptop Spec

GPU= GTX 1060 max Q

CPU= i5 77300HQ 2.5hz

RAM= 16G

Storage= SSD

This just amazing.

You should not worry about the nausea.... It goes away. i stoped flying a month, when I came back, nausea again one day or two. i recomend you to fly smooth, eat something before, and short periods. In 4 o 5 days youll be fine

You should not worry about the nausea.... It goes away. i stoped flying a month, when I came back, nausea again one day or two. i recomend you to fly smooth, eat something before, and short periods. In 4 o 5 days youll be fine
Thanks ESAc-matador.

I think the nausea may have come as a result of playing crossed-eyes. I set my IPD to the farthest on the head set and was not aligned with the windows mix portal remaining at 63.5m.

Now it seems to have gotten better after aligning both to as close to 67mm which is my ipd.

Just did the kegetsy vr mod to improve fps.

I was sick till this morning.

Now I am okay.

Oh yes, the nausea effect on the first time is like a punch into the stomach.

This will go away and never come back, when you get used to VR.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

I played several months with a 1060 3gb, you could improve your experience with a 1080 in case new RTX are beyond your budget.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Yea, the people that say VR is just a fad have never put one on and gone for a flight, or drive, or just stood there in a heavily modded Skyrim and took it all in.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I played several months with a 1060 3gb, you could improve your experience with a 1080 in case new RTX are beyond your budget.
The experience is just too good. I would be aiming for the rtx 2070 or 2080.

How's the odyssey plus compared to the oculus as far as clarity? I've been thinking of upgrading my oculus rift to the new model S or to an Odyssey plus.

We should be getting some reports since the S started showing up. On paper, it, rift S, seems pretty close to Odyssey+.

Are you near microsft Store? You can try out Odyssey+. But since they won't have DCS, they do take returns back.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Here's another tip: find your IPD in whatever setup program Odyssey uses (I think you wrote 67?), then go to Options in DCS, to the VR Settings tab, then click the box "Force IPD" then set the IPD number to whatever you found in Odyssey settings. You'll find the world scale is now perfect!

The scaling slider in DCS has nothing to do with your physical IPD. Mine is set nearly 20 units off to get accurate scaling. Here's another tip, the odyssey's IPD isn't accurate either, move it to where your sweet spot is best, and ignore the numbers.

For those wondering about the O+ vs the Rift S -

I would say as an O+ user, that HMD is good, not great.

On tracking - With a lighted room, the head tracking is good with some occasional glitches.

The resolution is good in cockpit - I can read all gauges and DDIs; the AMPCD is a mess with the map up, but fine with the map off; the hud and JHMCS is good as well.

Spotting outside is ok. planes at distance (~10-15nm) are visible though very small (think size of a pixel); The anti-sde screen makes details fuzzy. Once aircraft move to 1-7km, I still can't visually discern aircraft that look similar shape wise, which is frustrating. Ground targets are near impossible to spot, and buildings are visible, but make sure you have your objects setting to better than high, ultra, or extreme or they disappear at ~7-10nm on high (this feels very short at +20K ft in altitude).

I can make out the iflos at 1km but really seeing clearly is a challenge until I am almost at the wires.

All of this seems on par with what I've heard so far with the Rift S. I think the head tracking may be better with the Rift S, but the resolution sounds similar, so I don't think it would be worth moving to the Rift S from an O+ for me. YMMV

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs