How to set T.A.R.G.E.T Thrustmaster throttle 3-position switch ( pulse? hold? press?)

bin801

About 3 position switch, what are the real functions meaning for "pulse" ,"press" and "hold"?

Please help, just put the setting examples for

none spring-load

3-position Flap switch:

3-position Boat switch:

spring-load

3-position China Hat:

Especially, how to use “press" "release" pulse" "hold" ?

Appreciate!

• Hold is traditional button behavior, down when physically pressed and up when physically released.
  • Press (release) is a half command doing only the down (up) behavior. If a press is activated then the button will remain on.
  • Pulse is a programmed brief down followed by an up. This sequence happens in the programmed way once activated regardless of how the button is physically held.

In the scripting language the commands relate in this way. The value shows the output during a press and release of the button over time of "_---_".

[table=head]GUI|Script|Value

Hold||_---_

Press|DOWN+|_----

Release|UP+|_____

Pulse|PULSE+|_-___

[/table]

Do yourself a favor and don't use the target GUI software. Use the script editor. It's much better. Takes a bit of reading off how to use it but if I can do it.......

I respectively disagree. Start with the GUI. It is much easier than writing scripts by hand.

I have found very few limitations. One will need knowledge of both but script writing just like in the real world today is kept to a minimum using a GUI.

Read both the scripting manual and the GUI manual.

The three position switches are used as a pulse and return a different pulse any time the switch is moved into a new position. They can be configured similar to anything else.

In the TYPE field:

Pulses are like a key press. Good for lights and switches.

A Hold performs the press and holds it down until you let go.

Good for things like adjusting dials, zoom, prime.

Best used on momentary push buttons or hats since they are held on until release.

If a hold is assigned to a switch, it will hold that function continuously until the switch is moved the opposite way. Switches and holds are risky business.

A Press will hold something on until a specific Release is sent.

This is best used for things like LEDs which don't affect anything else if held on with a PRESS command.

A release releases a Press such as turning off an LED

A Press in the "type" field turns on an LED and a Release in the Type field turns LEDs off. too easy.

Here is a full Target GUI setup video I made. I have made changes since but it explains a lot of things. I am no content creator or monetized youtube acct holder so be gentle. Just trying to help. I explain the GUI inside out using on youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhGrbYYmBck

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

If you have the time and patience and need a more power and functionality, start with the script editor and never look back. It is a different and more powerful approach for sure.

I am not saying one should not progress to the script. It becomes necessary if only to fix errors sometimes. The only time for me was to take out my modifiers and change them. There is some real power available beyond the GUI. I just think it makes it so intimidating to someone new to Target that they often abandon Target altogether.

Maybe Most Coders or script writers or programmers prefer the Script. That is understandable.

I have family members that read and write code (in conjunction with GUIs) like I read a book.

It is one of the nicest GUIs I have ever worked with and It takes about an hour to understand most of it. It definitely does not do everything but it does absolutely everything I need. Very quickly.

Progressing to the scripting, One can even call a lua script from within a Target script, I should think. One can go around in as many circles as one wants to accomplish the same thing. The power is there for those that can look at code for hours on end.

Taking an hour or two making a script in the GUI and then looking at that script can cut months off the learning curve.

I will put it this way:

If you try the script editor and find it is a bit too daunting, try the GUI before you completely abandon Target. Then look at your script.

That is the route I took and of course the road leads back to the Script editor (in one instance to remove layers so I could change them as there is no way to do that in the GUI) but it is a lot less bumpy when you get the few concepts that are required for a script for use in DCS down first.

All I need is one .fcf file. Others need more. It depends on your pit and your preferences.

My question has to be. What does the script editor do for me that the GUI does not?

In the attached pic and all my aircraft profiles, The script editor was not required at all.

Granted I set all AXIS in game.

Discouraging people from using something that works quite fine in the end can discourage people from using it at all and that is a shame indeed since Target brings a lot to the table.

Pour over thousands of lines of code looking for an errant comma or drag and drop, point and shoot and go flying.

I am just happy folks are using Target regardless of how they write it.

I find it a bit of a shame that many don't.

Maybe some folks are getting scared off.

I will use the script editor when I need to.

I don't need to anymore. I never make that one mistake that required it once.

1498051546_TMHotasWartogDCSSpitfireJoystick.thumb.jpg.80c5aecf5fc636eb89d2d29d35194023.jpg

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

Thank you for your reply

and

Youtube is forbiden in my country.

though, I will try to watch your video.

Maybe easier for me,

Could you please wrote down an example:

how to set Flap 3-position switch for F-18 flap?once I understand that, I can understand rest.

Because I know how to set spring-load 3position switch like China Hat. But non-spring-load, I dont know how.

And, at what situation should "Sequence" be checked ? for above falp example, do I need "sequence" ?

Forward Pulse “flap auto"

Forward release "flap half"

Backward pulse "flap full"

backward release "flap half"

????

Appreciate !

Here are some pics of how to do what you want.

Note: my in game key bindings may be different. Use yours.

Use the press and release by the control up top and not the ones under "type"

1665490199_flapsauto.thumb.jpg.5ce8b49d19f6869108a2fafabee85e68.jpg

171170181_flapsfull.thumb.jpg.d503b734b6239e8b4923b4f0bc2336eb.jpg

1978815794_flapshalf1.thumb.jpg.23b5956ebddde6a602bf3b339ffadfc8.jpg

1102686380_flapshalf2.thumb.jpg.4be03ab679d4866fc12e8f996fd42be5.jpg

Note: other than the A10, I recommend saving that flap switch for your U,M,D modifiers. this triples your available switches although you could assign them anywhere. Add the flap lever for another modifier and tons more are available. This is fairly standard when writing Target scripts.

The first thing I do is set the U,M,D and the joystick flap switch as layers.

This gives so many options that One can get every switch and control off the mouse and keyboard and onto the stick and throttle.

I use the top 3 position switch on the right side of my throttle at the top.

DO what makes YOU happy.

I am debugging my script for the Spitfire which appears perfect.

Open the attached in the Target GUI and a lot of things will become clear.

Look in "edit layers" center top of the GUI screen.

Spitfire Ultimate Tareget Script.zip

Edited by DeepDrummer
spelling

Of course you could open it in the script editor as well for some good examples and eventually go further. Always start it as advanced instead of basic so more will be open to you in the future.

It looks like the F18 is going to need some script writing magic for a few functions when they get it finished. By picking advanced it helps some things in the long run.

I always try to see if it can be done in the GUI first. It has not failed me yet.

Sequencing is used when you want to have a switch do something different on each press.

I.E. Press a button to lock on and then press the same button again to fire the missile.

Not required in this case.

Chaining is having a switch perform more than one function with one press.

Since target will recognize the center position of the flap switch and most of the 3 position switches as another switch even though there are no actual electrical contacts closed the following works as well.

This means one could simply send a pulse assigned directly to the M position of the switch.

This way any time the switch is moved to the center position it will send the keystroke.

There is no need to use the release method in this case but they both work fine.

Just add another entry for the middle position the same as if it was any other switch.

This is what I generally do for this type of thing.

Since target will recognize the center position of the flap switch and most of the 3 position switches as another switch even though there are no actual electrical contacts closed the following works as well.

This means one could simply send a pulse assigned directly to the M position of the switch.

This way any time the switch is moved to the center position it will send the keystroke.

There is no need to use the release method in this case but they both work fine.

Just add another entry for the middle position the same as if it was any other switch.

I didn't realized TARGET can recognize the middle position. Is it version difference cause so?

Sequencing is used when you want to have a switch do something different on each press.

I.E. Press a button to lock on and then press the same button again to fire the missile.

Not required in this case.

Chaining is having a switch perform more than one function with one press.

Appreciate!!

I 'll try.

is the order-circle limited for time?

like, after 1st press on the button, if the 2nd press is beyond 10 seconds, the 2nd press will be recognized as a 1st press for another circle?

Thank you !

If you want time-sensitive then use TEMPO. E.g. TEMPO(1, 2, 1000) will do 1 or 2 based on holding the button for less or more than 1000ms. Getting a cycle which timeout resets to the beginning more than length two is going to require some more clever and custom scripting.

TARGET knows the null position of switches because it's the absence of another state. But TARGET knowing the state doesn't mean Windows knows it. The script is what converts TARGET's knowledge into Windows's knowledge. MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPM, DX1); is an example.

Hey, DD.

Have u been able to actually accomplish this with the Hornet: 3 correct flap positions, all 3 boat switch positions, etc. on the Warthog throttle?

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 3 weeks later...
And there is the guy that can answer any questions you have!

@Frederf

... walks on water ... can do no wrong ... is my hero!

:worthy:

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

Hey, DD.

Have u been able to actually accomplish this with the Hornet: 3 correct flap positions, all 3 boat switch positions, etc. on the Warthog throttle?

I was able to program all of them without too much screwing around and I'm new to Target. To the thread in general and particularly a new guy that is just picking target up and has been reading these threads trying to figure it out: It was said above to always use an advanced profile instead of a basic profile. It's good advice; it's absolutely no more difficult to use and has functions you'll need. IMO basic shouldn't even exist because it in no way eases anything and yet I couldn't even complete my first profile with it because it lacks some fundamental features. I wasted a few hours learning that lesson...

An example of using this switch as a modal switch so that you can move the Maverick cursor without having to press the TDC button see this.

U/M/D are defined as Boatswitch. Forward middle and down can change what other switches do. I

//BOATSWITCH//

MapKey(&Throttle, BSF, PULSE+'1'); //AA Master Mode

MapKeyR(&Throttle, BSF, PULSE+'1'); //NAV Mode

//MapKey(&Throttle, BSM, PULSE+'c'); //Not Assigned

MapKey(&Throttle, BSB, PULSE+'2'); //AG Master Mode

MapKeyR(&Throttle, BSB, PULSE+'2'); //NAV Mode

I use the CSU index finger hat on the throttle for slewing

//RADAR MANAGEMENT CURSER with auto TDC Press for AGM-65F//

MapKeyUMD(&Throttle, CSU, ';', ';', CHAIN(ENT, ';')); //Cursor Up plus TDC on

MapKeyRUMD(&Throttle, CSU, 0, 0, ENT); //TDC Release

MapKeyUMD(&Throttle, CSD, '.', '.', CHAIN(ENT, '.')); //Cursor Dn plus TDC on

MapKeyRUMD(&Throttle, CSD, 0, 0, ENT); //TDC Release

MapKeyUMD(&Throttle, CSL, ',', ',', CHAIN(ENT, ',')); //Cursor Left plus TDC on

MapKeyRUMD(&Throttle, CSL, 0, 0, ENT); //TDC Release

MapKeyUMD(&Throttle, CSR, '/', '/', CHAIN(ENT, '/')); //Cursor Right plus TDC on

MapKeyRUMD(&Throttle, CSR, 0, 0, ENT); //TDC Release

I already have my TDC mapped to the Throttle SC button. (I use the button only on the SC for RADAR tgt lock). I find it easy to use my left index finger for slewing and my left middle finger for lock/unlocking the RADAR target.

//TARGET LOCK TDC//

MapKey(&Throttle, SC, ENT); //Radar Lock/Unlock

Using the Target GUI, I set up what was requested 2 different ways here explained in under 5 minutes.

Sorry for the sound during testing but it all works both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44wC01rZbUU&feature=youtu.be