[NOT A BUG] Engines RPM reducing

Jaakov

Hi,

I've observed during online gameplay, that I can not get past mach 1. I'm full throttle, diving, but engines are somehow reducing rpm so I can not accelerate further. On takeoff full burner 100% RPM but as I get faster they start decreasing. Is it a bug or I've forgot to switch something off or on?

THX

Difficult to diagnose without a track sir.

i7 9700k@5.0 Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus XI Formula, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.

• 5 months later...

I see exactly the same behaviour, I thought it was my throttle not being correctly calibrated... so I pulled the USB cable... I get the same behaviour on keyboard

Re Pro Steps.

use the keyboard to increase power to 100% RPM, with throttle unplugged, wait about 5 seconds at full power and you will see that the RPM, is at 98 or 99% for both engines.

Reduce the throttle using the keyboard to idle, and increase power to max using the KP+ key and the same behaviour is observed.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Is this expected behaviour? As fuel flow remains the same at full AB even if the engine RPM decreases.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hi,

I've observed during online gameplay, that I can not get past mach 1. I'm full throttle, diving, but engines are somehow reducing rpm so I can not accelerate further. On takeoff full burner 100% RPM but as I get faster they start decreasing. Is it a bug or I've forgot to switch something off or on?

THX

Are you sure you are in afterburner? Use the F2 view to verify that your burner is engaging.

On a side note, there are times where I have noticed that I can’t achieve 100% RPM but this may be proper behavior at certain speeds and altitudes.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Hi,

THX

What is the aircraft configuration? Which RPM are you looking at? Fan (N1) or the Core (N2). At what altitude are you attempting that speed?

Max RPM is not set for many Jet engine while flying. The computer will adjust RPM depending on many factors, including but not limited to; speed, altitude, outside air temp, air density, etc. That is why most manuals will not specify engine RPM to a Power Lever Angle (PLA). For example, manuals will state:" N1 (Fan) RPM should not exceed (blank)". In case of the F404-GE-402, N1 should not exceed 108%. N2 should not exceed 102% . F100-PW-229, N2 should not pass 97%. F110-GE-129 N2 max RPM is 108%. In aircraft with multiple engine, you may have different RPM in each engine with the throttles at the same angle.

My point is, RPM changing is not an indication that something abnormal is happening.

Consider also the the F/A-18 is not the fastest fighter and does not have a big thrust to weight.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Engines RPM reducing

In my experience of jet engines, the reason for fan or core speeds being inconsistent is due to air pressure and temperature variations. The computer controlling the engine takes these readings by sensors and adjusts the limits for the engine to prevent damage or exceedances to occur. I’ve notice there are some engines that are programmed to run cooler or hotter than the other, but as long as they both produce the same amount of thrust for a set lever position (takeoff setting), everything is okay. Generally speaking, (not specifically the hornet) if you have a split throttle position of an inch or more, you need to call mx.

Addendum: notice this thread mentioned about AB. The AB has no direct mechanical linkage to the engine. When in AB, all this does is inject fuel into the exhaust gas of the engine. The engine will maintain rotor speeds to keep operating limits within itself. To keep the AB from melting the tailpipe, the fuel injected is metered and limited in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer