Realism - wasted effort? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
Lace

Default Realism - wasted effort?

There seems to be a great effort by ED and their 3rd-parties for the ultimate realism in systems modelling which is laudable and is clearly what a part of the DCS community crave. But we also see on a daily basis wishlists for this module and that module, which given the current rate of development would take about 100 years to accomplish.

So my point is this - do ED and the developers spend too much time on unnecessary realism. We have BIT tests which never fail (I presume), and if they did then what? Do you scrub the mission in the name of realism? Jump into the spare aircraft? In the Viper for instance we have a trim disconnect test (is a runaway trim situation planned to be modeled?). Check the EPU fuel level (will it ever not be 95-102%). My point is all these systems need time to implement and test, and while they appear to add realism to the module, are they not just window dressing? Do those searching for the ultimate realism in their modules actually fly realistic missions? Do they ever spend six-hours patrolling a kill box as a two ship without encountering the enemy? Do they spend an hour on the ground from their step time to engine start to taxi to takeoff?

I'm not saying there shouldn't be full-fidelity modules, but is there perhaps room for a half-way compromise between FF and FC3 type modules. i.e PFM with clickable cockpits and high-fidelity flight and weapons systems, but without the 100% functionality of systems which, lets be honest, for a recreational simulator/game are of little value?

TLDR; Would you rather have fewer full-fidelity modules, or more modules at a slightly lower level of non-essential detail?

2.5, NTTR, PG, CA, FC3, A-10C, MiG-21, F-86, M-2000C, Harrier, Viggen, Yak-52, Spitfire, Gazelle, Mi-8 & F16. Wishlist: Jaguar, F117 and F111. C:MO & XP11. PPL(A) IRL.
Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
Emmy

Can’t speak to the efficacy of running checklists covering every single real-world system (Lord knows I’ve skipped one or two from time to time) but as for operational realism, yes, I have flown A-10C missions of 3 to 3.5 hours and returned to base with the same ordinance I left with.

We’re blessed with very talented mission makers in our group and sometimes the enemy just isn’t where they were initially reported, or you can’t reach them because they are under too dense an anti-air umbrella so you’ll need SEAD/DEAD help or red air moves in on the AO and you need to head to safety, or your lead/wingman gets zapped (requiring an RTB by regulation)

So yes, there are groups that operate “by the book” and the fun lies in sharing an Op with your buddies and getting back Code 1.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Lace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Can’t speak to the efficacy of running checklists covering every single real-world system (Lord knows I’ve skipped one or two from time to time) but as for operational realism, yes, I have flown A-10C missions of 3 to 3.5 hours and returned to base with the same ordinance I left with.

We’re blessed with very talented mission makers in our group and sometimes the enemy just isn’t where they were initially reported, or you can’t reach them because they are under too dense an anti-air umbrella so you’ll need SEAD/DEAD help or red air moves in on the AO and you need to head to safety, or your lead/wingman gets zapped (requiring an RTB by regulation)

So yes, there are groups that operate “by the book” and the fun lies in sharing an Op with your buddies and getting back Code 1.

Thats just it. Like you I appreciate 'realistic' missions, and like you will run an abridged checklist for the non-essential items. But if people are missing these type of items anyway, why waste valuable programming hours modelling them in the first place? A player could just as conceivably say 'BIT check complete' or 'MPO check complete' as part of their startup if they want, especially if it isn't modeled to fail any of these checks. The whole game is just 'lets pretend' anyway isn't it?

2.5, NTTR, PG, CA, FC3, A-10C, MiG-21, F-86, M-2000C, Harrier, Viggen, Yak-52, Spitfire, Gazelle, Mi-8 & F16. Wishlist: Jaguar, F117 and F111. C:MO & XP11. PPL(A) IRL.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Emmy

You’re asking ED to nerf one of their (for better or worse) core tenets and honestly, I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I guess it’s better to have “X” and not need it than it is to need “X” and not have it?

Personally, I prefer to learn all the nuts & bolts because then I can develop a flow for startup that works for me.

For those who don’t want to get neck deep, there’s FCS and the upcoming MAC.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
OttoPus

Quote:

This applies to my experience too (I only fly online with an organized squadron though, I'd never fly 4 hours by my self).
OttoPus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
Lace

Quote:
You’re asking ED to nerf one of their (for better or worse) core tenets and honestly, I don’t see that happening any time soon.

I guess it’s better to have “X” and not need it than it is to need “X” and not have it?

Personally, I prefer to learn all the nuts & bolts because then I can develop a flow for startup that works for me.

I agree to an extent, but at what cost to module development time?

Old 11-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Emmy

Honestly, I don’t know.

I’m really not one to sweat module development. If I have “gripes” they’re usually directed more at the overall sim experience vis a vis the core game (and the occasional “Yeah, you fixed B but you broke A, C and D”)
Old 11-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
Jonne

Sorry, but if you ask the devs to scrap realism for more modules in shorter time, then DCS is just not for you.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lace View Post
I agree to an extent, but at what cost to module development time?
Most of what ED has now and 3rd parties are building is what you would call modular code base to change and use for ..........X

ED is even moving into using new tech to simulate how real radars work.
I.E somethings need to be more inaccurate to be accurate. (Looking at you F-15)

This also aligns with their other business / deep system building / cost spread too.

Most of the aircraft that are full-fidelity are built out of passion, some dev's would go even deeper than what some are now if they could.

MAC is the transition War Th etc --> MAC ---> DCS

I sit in the middle here as do others I guess....

Learn and do it all proper..ish, setup a few missions etc.

Multiplayer. Skip all checklist and know enough, get in air and shoot things down with friends. Sling load cargo to build convoy's. Drive a tank and blowup enemy farps for fun. FC3 and full-fidelity.

I like learning how things work and the idea behind the work flow to use the systems / combat systems.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Last edited by David OC; 11-16-2019 at 08:48 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

Hopefully the dev time will take less time in the future if the modular build tech is done right. Currently the simulation starts with the pilot in the cockpit - be it cold, hot or even in the air already. It's not about simulating the life of a pilot, so you can change the planes, pilots and theatres however you want. Some systems or switches are still simplified and even omitted so we're not there yet in terms of realism. What people do with it all is not your concern. Btw: there is some simulation of failures - random as an option or mission invoked. I hope it will be improved in time.

TL;DR: I want even fuller quality modules whatever time it takes. Of course I'd rather simulate a memorable mission than a boring one. Nothing wrong in that.

Last edited by draconus; 11-16-2019 at 08:46 AM.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote