Waypoint Elevation in NAV Systems? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
AvroLanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
Thanks for the tip. I read through the nav section and couldn't find anywhere that showed the WYPT elevation being integrated into any nav systems displaying real time info on where the plane is compared to the next WYPT elevation.

I guess it must be a difference in design approach and pilot situational awareness expectations between the Su27/33 and the Hornet pilots? I'd love to hear from a real Hornet pilot if my assessment is correct
The waypoint elevations should be ground elevation at that point anyway. It’s essential for weapon delivery so at the very least the IP and TGT waypoints will be the ground elevation. In reality ALL waypoints should be like this. Having the elevation set to flight plan altitude is very gamey and inaccurate. Crews carry hard copy flight plans for a reason. They know what altitude they should be flying.

A Hornet is not a airliner with VNAV etc.

Last edited by AvroLanc; 11-11-2019 at 07:29 AM.
AvroLanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroLanc View Post
The waypoint elevations should be ground elevation at that point anyway. It’s essential for weapon delivery so at the very least the IP and TGT waypoints will be the ground elevation. In reality ALL waypoints should be like this. Having the elevation set to flight plan altitude is very gamey and inaccurate. Crews carry hard copy flight plans for a reason. They know what altitude they should be flying.

This!

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
glen.a.williamson

Default Determining Desired Altitude

You may be interested in this thread as well...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=253401
glen.a.williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #14
WytchCrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroLanc View Post

Food for thought. I do find it interesting though that waypoint elevation is considered critical enough info on the Su25/27/33 that it is both displayed on the HUD and integrated into the ADI (description from the DCS Su33 manual):

Attitude Direction Indicator
The Attitude Direction Indicator (ADI) shows the current angles of pitch and aircraft roll. In the lower part of the indicator is a yaw slip indicator. Changing the rudder position eliminates slipping, so try to have the indicator in the central position. On the front portion of the indicator are the required bank and pitch indicators to reach the next waypoint. When both yellow bars are in the central position,the aircraft is following the correct route.