Looking for a simpit that allows for a center-mounted joystick base /w extensions. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
elecsys

Default Looking for a simpit that allows for a center-mounted joystick base /w extensions.

Title says it all. Do I have any options, aside from monstertech or DIY?
elecsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
Tundra

foxxmounts
virpil desk mounts
J-Pein
i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | 250 Gb 970 EVO SSD | GTX 1080 | Virpil MongooseT-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Virpil desk mount | Saitek rudder pedals | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel | Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel
FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:45 AM   #3
elecsys

My bad, I'm looking for something cockpit style, not a table mount.

Along the lines of an Obutto, but more specifically geared toward flight sims.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
VpR81

The problem is, that most gaming seats/simpits are meant for Simracing and only for some are flightsim convertion kits available. For most of them, you have to selfmade these flightsim mounts. This makes center mounted joystick use difficult with available converstion kits because afaik these very few with available flightsim upgrades do only fit for sidestick config. The reason for that is, that the manufactors just take their existing handbrake/gear shifter mount, convert it for joystick/throttle mount and sell two of them together as flightsim upgrade. And since there aren't any cars that have their gear shift/handbrake center mounted in front of the driver seat, it always ends up with sidestick config. I researched a lot before i purchased mine and found mostly simpits that can only be upgraded to a flight sim config. And most of them can only be used in sidestick config. I only know two (there are propably more) with preparation for center mounted sticks, but i'm not sure about the built quality. The Airforce seat from Playseat, wich is only a chair with adopted mounts and the Volair Sim Pit.

https://www.volairsim.com/

What made me skeptic was the fact, that (as i understand) Volair sells the complete pit (including all upgrade mounts) for a pretty cheap price of about 700€ while mine is stock without any aditional mounts at 1000€, with Alcantara seat it was 1200€ + 250€ for the flight mount wich is double the price for way less features included. Including all available mounts the Volair offers in it's package, mine would be at 2000-2300€. I work for a company that produces industrial metal frames and hydraulik cylinders with high quality standard (Liebherr, General Dynamics Land Systems and the manufactor of the Leopard 2 MBT - KMW, are some of our customers) so i know something about the topic of producing metal frames and what it costs. And i highly doubt that it is possible to build a SimPit like the Volairs in outstanding quality and all these features for the price Volair is taking for their pit. At least if you're producing in the EU or the US instead of china or somewhere in africa. They HAVE to save money somewhere and this mostly affects quality. Maybe i'm wrong about it and someone owning the Volairs can confirm the quality. In the end you have to decide if you can live with lower quality(if it's the case) in favor for functionality

cheers

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C-Viper | Combined Arms | FC3 | NTTR | Persian Gulf

DCS Wishlist: F-15E Strike Eagle | Panavia Tornado | F/A-18D Hornet | MiG-31 "Foxhound" | F-117A Nighthawk | Mirage 2000D | AH-64 Apache

I7 6900K | GTX 1080Ti | 32Gb DDR4 | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM F/A-18C Grip Addon | TM TPR | RSEAT S1 w/ Flight Mount Upgrade

Last edited by VpR81; 11-10-2019 at 03:06 PM.
VpR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
elecsys

Thanks a lot for the R-Seat suggestion! I did come across it at some point in the past, but completely lost sight of it again! The S1 does look like a good base to make that modification on.
With it's 103lbs / 47kg it would also seem like the ideal chassis to pick from their lineup, if you ever want to mount it to a motion rig. I do have a question for you, since you already own one:
I'm 6"4 / 193cm in height - is there enough leeway on this chassis to make the pedals fit comfortably?

The Voltair is a bit outdated with it's triple monitor mounts, especially considering my use case (VR), and while it does seem to offer a center mount, i think you can probably forget about extensions with this one. I also like the fact that you can order the R-Seat chassis without any actual seat. Now if Bergison would only release his G-Seat already

It seems like we ran into the same problem, as I've also been looking around for more than a year now, but always came up empty, unless you wanna take Monstertech into account. They do offer a simpit, and it's looks like you can even do a center-mount on it, but it's all just very barebone for the price. Might as well go for a DIY solution at that point, and the R-Seat certainly looks more appealing as well.
I do remember there being another small german manufacturer of racing/flight pits a few years back, and that one even had a dedicated center-stick cut-out on the seat, but that company is not in business anymore, and from what I remember of the looks of it, the build quality didn't inspire much confidence either.

Anyway... Danke für die Hilfe, Volksgenosse

Last edited by elecsys; 11-10-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
VpR81

Nevermind mate, i'm happy to help you out. Yeah, i was afraid i'd purchase something and then won't be happy with it after spending that much money for a "toy". That's why i took my time and searched a lot online. I choosed very well and after a long time of thinking about pro's and con's and i have to say that i've never regret it. Nothing wiggles, shakes or moves, the whole construction is pretty tight. I enjoy every single time i jump in and start DCS or sometimes mount my steering wheel and go for GTR-2 or Assetto Corsa.

I'm 186cm and i remember when i put it together i set the complete adjustment to maximum body size and couldn't reach the pedals properly. I think you're good as long as you're not taller than 200cm. That's what they also say on their homepage i think, player size from 140 - 200cm, but not sure about that. Also important for me was, that it needs a relative low seat position in relation to the paddels, so i can use my TPR's properly since they're incomfortable to use in a desk/office chair height. Fits perfectly for them. If you wan't to buy a S1 for central mount joystick only use, just make sure you purchase the handbrake/gear shift mount instead of the flight mount. Both are almost the same, but the handbrake kit is only one sidemount instead of two and comes with a larger baseplate (and is ~100€ cheaper), so you can not only mount your throttle there, but maybe another panel next to it. I personally want to be able to swap between F/A-18 and F-16 setup, wich is why i got the flight mount kit and want to modd the rig for additional central mount use in the nearby future.

If you want to purchase one without seat and frame only it may be interesting to know, that the seat console is a FIA GT standard mount. Means, most racing seats (Recaro, Sparco etc) that have a FIA GT/touring car certification will fit in. I say most, because there are a few different FIA standards for seats wich differ in spacings between the screwholes. S1 has 290mm standard i think, but i'd have to read the manual to be sure. But the choice of seats that fit is still enormous, just make sure to pick the correct standard. Only drawback with the seat is, that you can mount it a bit angled to sit leaned back but not that much to fit the angle of a fighterjet seat. It's simply meant for simracing in the first place, but i guess that's whining on a high level...

Oh btw, it's not 47kg. It's 74kg in total without flight mount. The flight mount will add another 24kg. My complete rig with pedals and hotas is heavier than my motorbike. Including fuel. O.o

edit: About the small german manufactor you mentioned... I think there are two of them and both are also the only dealers in germany having RSEAT products in their shop. Both are specialized on simracing equipment and i think their rigs are as well. Not sure if there are flight sim upgrades available for them. One of both is located just 20km from my hometown (wich is why i had no shipping costs), but their rigs are very expensive. Don't wanna lie, but i think they were double or triple the price of the S1.

these are the home rigs of the dealer i got mine from:

https://virtualracingstore.com/simul...simracing-rig/
https://virtualracingstore.com/simul...simracing-rig/

and this is the other one:

https://www.force2motion.de/Next-Level-Racing/

cheers

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C-Viper | Combined Arms | FC3 | NTTR | Persian Gulf

DCS Wishlist: F-15E Strike Eagle | Panavia Tornado | F/A-18D Hornet | MiG-31 "Foxhound" | F-117A Nighthawk | Mirage 2000D | AH-64 Apache

I7 6900K | GTX 1080Ti | 32Gb DDR4 | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM F/A-18C Grip Addon | TM TPR | RSEAT S1 w/ Flight Mount Upgrade

Last edited by VpR81; 11-10-2019 at 08:30 PM.
VpR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #7
Milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by elecsys View Post
Title says it all. Do I have any options, aside from monstertech or DIY?
High end, there is this option from Poland: https://viperwing.com/f-18-flight-simulator/
They offer varying levels of detail from ACES seat only through to full systems.
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). Virpil WarBRD base with T/M Warthog grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 AM   #8
elecsys

Quote:
Originally Posted by VpR81 View Post
Oh btw, it's not 47kg. It's 74kg in total without flight mount. The flight mount will add another 24kg. My complete rig with pedals and hotas is heavier than my motorbike. Including fuel. O.o

Whoops, yep, looks like I've been reading misinformation again...
As for the tip with the Shifter/Handbrake kit, much appreciated! I plan on installing both a standard throttle, as well as as secondary stick or delta throttle for use with space sims, so having enough mounting opportunities for both was another consideration. The R-Seat does seem to check all the boxes in that department, heh.

btw, was there anything beyond price that made you opt for the S1 over the N1 model? Or was it just due to lack of availability with virtualracingstore.com? In terms of upgrade options they seem to be pretty similar, and from the looks of it maybe even a slight advantage for the S1 as far as adjusting the front/wheel element is concerned. Do you foresee any problems when installing both a custom center-mount joystick & a wheel at the same time?
Old 11-11-2019, 01:09 AM   #9
elecsys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milou View Post
High end, there is this option from Poland: https://viperwing.com/f-18-flight-simulator/
They offer varying levels of detail from ACES seat only through to full systems.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:17 AM   #10
ruprecht

Akers-Barnes http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.com/62-abc-cockpit.html

Streaming DCS sometimes: https://www.twitch.tv/blackhuey
ruprecht is offline   Reply With Quote