CH products upgrades - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 06:16 AM   #11
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
.... if you engineer a way to add a paddle switch to this thing, or leave room for one more switch to be added for us that want to figure that out ourselves, that could be quite interesting. (Obviously involve cutting into the base a little to install).
I've installed a DIY (aluminum) paddle in two CH's (Fightestick and Combatstick), and the issue is the big angle of movement of grip. A conventional paddle, F-16/Warthog like will collide with stick base. Need a angled lever, that looks "weird but" result functional.

For more buttons, if will install a new USB controller (10/12 bits), increase buttons is matter of find placement for then, as the new controller allow at least 32 (12 more than CH controller).

If want keep CH USB controller the only way I see - for more two buttons, is use throttle axis divided in two bands with resistors, but this require use a keymapper software with "axis to button" to make this axis band send keypress.

An dual trigger is very easy to implement, is matter to add a second micro-switch under the trigger lever.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
mtwsims

We should have known that somebody has done the paddle mod before and that this somebody was you Sokol. Making these mods is generally not that hard for someone with experience, the hard part is making it elegant and fool proof for anyone to install and use.

In terms of expanding the original CH board. Theoretically the LEDs are connected to columns, so it could be possible to expand the button matrix like this. There is also an unused C9 column on the newer rev boards pinned out, that would bring up the button count to a max of 32. But I don't know if the CH software is capable of interpreting the new buttons and I'm convinced it's not worth the hassle on a board with obsolete 8 Bit ADCs...

Last edited by mtwsims; 10-09-2019 at 12:39 PM.
mtwsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwsims View Post
In terms of expanding the original CH board. Theoretically the LEDs are connected to columns, so it could be possible to expand the button matrix like this. There is also an unused C9 column on the newer rev boards pinned out,
The LEDs are connected over a 74HCT138 decoder, so thats not an option. C9 may be a possibility on the newest boards if its not connected to the 74HCT138, though I doubt it. I guess it was added for an additional LED as the max amount of buttons on CH devices is 20 and the button matrix supports that. CH most likely doesnt expect nor want people to add additional stuff to their controllers. The CH mainboard interestingly enough also has an external 10 Bit ADC, but it seems to be downsampled to 8 Bit internally for some reason.

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4...flight-simming

Last edited by rel4y; 10-09-2019 at 02:54 PM.
rel4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #14
rel4y

Hey guys,
I have finished the CH upgrade mainboard and will send it to the factory tomorrow.

The final features are 8x 12 Bit axis, directly reads the CH axis, reads the CH button matrix, makes use of the standard CH USB cable, additional shift register connection, additional 2x digial axis connections = TLE5011. It will have the same KF2510 connectors as the original CH board, so it is 120% plug & play! I used up all the available pins of the MCU and also the board space to the absolute max! Really happy with this thing!

Cheers

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4...flight-simming
Old 10-10-2019, 02:19 AM   #15
A2597

Looking forward to it! My fighterstick has started to get a little jitter when centered, a plug and play method for updating it would be amazing!
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #16
GaryR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel4y View Post
Hey guys,
I have finished the CH upgrade mainboard and will send it to the factory tomorrow.

The final features are 8x 12 Bit axis, directly reads the CH axis, reads the CH button matrix, makes use of the standard CH USB cable, additional shift register connection, additional 2x digial axis connections = TLE5011. It will have the same KF2510 connectors as the original CH board, so it is 120% plug & play! I used up all the available pins of the MCU and also the board space to the absolute max! Really happy with this thing!

Cheers
Great news, i'll just add that to my shopping list when the sensors are ready! One of my toe brakes is quite jumpy now, i'll try the electrical contact cleaner spray cleaning trick while I wait.. Should I get just a cleaner or a cleaner/dielectric lubricant spray for this purpose?
Gigabyte RTX 2080 card w/ 8GB in Alienware Graphics Amplifier - 432.00 drivers
Output to an LG 32GK850G-B 32" G-Sync monitor at 144Hz (VSync on in game)
CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle HOTAS

Last edited by GaryR; 10-10-2019 at 10:37 AM.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #17
GaryR

Hey rel4y, when are you coming out with a completely new base for the Fighterstick? Better gimbals, adjustable spring tension, dampening?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Looking forward to it! My fighterstick has started to get a little jitter when centered, a plug and play method for updating it would be amazing!
I think you would be pleased with this board! I just ordered 10 boards and the corresponding amount of ADCs & MCUs. But I have to dial down expectations a bit, it will probably not be ready before next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Great news, i'll just add that to my shopping list when the sensors are ready! One of my toe brakes is quite jumpy now, i'll try the electrical contact cleaner spray cleaning trick while I wait.. Should I get just a cleaner or a cleaner/dielectric lubricant spray for this purpose?
I usually use isopropyl alcohol, it worked very well on all sorts of pots so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Hey rel4y, when are you coming out with a completely new base for the Fighterstick? Better gimbals, adjustable spring tension, dampening?
I am not sure that makes sense economically. A sort of Evenstrain mod might be rather simple to do. I may take a look at it sometime, but the next big project is force sensing and getting my Crosswind F-16 footrests cast in Aluminium.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
GaryR

Quote:
I usually use isopropyl alcohol, it worked very well on all sorts of pots so far.
Ok, i'll get the plain Contact Cleaner spray for now, please count me IN on the new board and sensors!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #20
A2597

Quote:
I think you would be pleased with this board! I just ordered 10 boards and the corresponding amount of ADCs & MCUs. But I have to dial down expectations a bit, it will probably not be ready before next month.

...but the next big project is force sensing

I'll just file it under "Anticipated Christmas Present". If we can figure out a solution for paddle switch, I don't see myself upgrading from CH for a very long time.

Also...Force Sensing?!
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote