Night vision on Gazelle L and minigun variants - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Night vision on L and minigun versions.
Stick with realism. What’s not on the real thing should not be in the module. 33 37.08%
Make an exception. (Tell us why) 56 62.92%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
Dav IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreisch View Post
I would vote for a yes, I would like to have the possibility of nvgs.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk
Did you vote?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav IRL View Post
Did you vote?
Unfortunately we on Tapatalk don't see the voting functionality in the forum, so we can't vote unless going to the web interface. If it's not clearly stated in OP it's impossible for us to know there is a real voting or not. Is it now?
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton181 View Post
Unfortunately we on Tapatalk don't see the voting functionality in the forum, so we can't vote unless going to the web interface. If it's not clearly stated in OP it's impossible for us to know there is a real voting or not. Is it now?
Yes this has a real poll 13 for realistic 10 for NVGs
Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #14
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
Well is it a matter of doctrine or were they incapable of using them? if it's just a matter of strapping them to the pilots head and it was just never done in real life lets have it. If there's a reason why NVGs wouldn't work in them than leave them out.
NVG comaptible cockpit lighting is typically the big reason. Any idiot can strap them on, but you are either flying with all lights off so ypu cant look under them to check instruments, or you have them on and you are totally blinded and cant see shit ouside the pit. But you can see your instruments. You need actual NVG compatoble instrument lighting to both, and the right filters in the NOD.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 06-03-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:25 AM   #15
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
You need actual NVG compatible instrument lighting to both, and the right filters in the NOD.
And what is your assessment of night firing of the Mini-gun equipped Gazelle by the French Army technical section.

https://www.facebook.com/LeGamStat/v...81867828964985

The lack of NVGs seems to be a doctrine/budget constraint, rather than technical limitation.

Last edited by Ramsay; 06-03-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
zaelu
Veteran

Make an exception... maybe this way you will make another one and give the option to remove the minigun from the minigun variant

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940HOTAS extremely modded with Bodnar0836X and a wooden pc case (really!), Oculus Rift S
zaelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:23 AM   #17
borchi_2b
3rd Party Developer

Ramsay, the Gazelle used in the video and flown by the special force of the french army is a 342m without the viviane and all the extra stuff like doors. The one we made and used is supposed to be the 341L, which was never equipped with nvg lighting and retired long time ago, which made it nearly impossible to find documentation on rocket pods or either the gun.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #18
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
And what is your assessment of night firing of the Mini-gun equipped Gazelle by the French Army technical section.

https://www.facebook.com/LeGamStat/v...81867828964985

The lack of NVGs seems to be a doctrine/budget constraint, rather than technical limitation.
As borchi said, its a one off.

And yes, a doctrine and budget constraint is often how it goes even if you have the tech to do it. But the helicopters from the 80's likely wouldn't have NVG capability, that was mostly limited to the US army. And I think these Gaz variants are mostly from that era. Its the same argument to give the FC3 planes NVG's they never had.

Personally I don't care too much if they add it in, with a button on the special menu to enable it to remind people that its ahistorical and can be turned off on a server.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #19
sc_neo

@borchi_2b
So i just fired up the mission editor and loaded a mission in all four Gazelle variants in dcs. And from the enduser perspective the cockpit and lighting options look (panel backlights, UV and overhead torch) to be exactly the same, might be overlooking the fine details of course

From my imagination, there should be no real technical obstacle for the pilots on those variants to fly with nvgs. So, are the nvgs in the M and Mistral variants kindoff deeply hooked into the electronics of those variants, or is it just a matter of putting those on the pilots helmet and connecting them to some DC box?

Now i would like to see NVGs added to these variants for the following reason; dcs players are and will use all 4 variants in all kinds of mission and fictional scenarios. Whose to say that a certain scenario does not include a story arch where an upgrade program was initiated to add nvgs.

Additionally, flying a helo close to the ground in pitch black darkness is kinda more calling for nvgs than flying a jet during the same conditions.
So, adding nvgs does not really fall into the same category like adding aim-120s or such.

You can make this opt. in via a check box in the specials tab in the settings. But i am not going on the barricades if you decide differently either. Cheers
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #20
Griffin

I would allow NVG's. Let's take the Huey for example. Our DCS Huey is a version whose armament/equipment pretty much no one has. So if you're American or German flying the Huey, the chances are that your're not flying it in a realistic configuration. Especially the German Huey has totally different avionics but it won't ever stop the Germans from flying it in DCS.

Each successful aircraft type has tons of modifications and export variants and as soon as you choose the skin of any other country than France, you're already violating the "realism". Chances are that this country never had a Gazelle or, if it did, then the export variant has different equipment installed. Multiplayer is full of people flying aircraft for countries which never had the types.

As many have mentioned, the check box in the specials tab is a good compromise.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote