Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this along with the update on VR optimization, really looking forward to when that gets done.

I was set on going for the Valve Index , might consider the Rift S a little more now will see. Heck I may end up getting both in the end lol.

Hedge your bets there buddy? ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hi Wags,

Any comparisons in terms of resolution to other headsets like the Odessey plus Or Vivie pro?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I would be interested in a comparison in performance in DCS between the Rift S and Rift CV1.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

so interesting that some people make their HMD choices before trying them or reading real reviews.

oh well, it’s their money. i guess it’s human nature.

I don't know about others here, but many people don't have the opportunity to try first. Not many stores carry these products outside the USA and even when they do you're trying them on someone else's computer, on stupid demo games, so it never matches up with your own system on a true simulation like DCS. The only option I would have is to order the product and then return it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, Vega64 @1080p

Wags,

Good info!

Any difference in performance between the Rift and Rift S?

I use PD 1.5 with the Rift, and I’m thinking that would be similar to the S resolution at PD 1.0, performancewise? But resolution will be better, of course.

Hey everyone,

Oculus was kind enough to send us a couple Rift S kits to ensure best performance in DCS World. Based on the previews I've been reading from GDC, I was expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out tracking. However, compared to the Rift, I'm seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I'm very impressed with the DCS World experience in the Rift S. Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier. If you are a Rift owner, I'd certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

Oculus has not asked me to write this, nor compensated in any way. I'm just a bit giddy after just flying with it.

Also, I’m sure you’re asking: where is the VR performance boost!? It’s coming. The VR optimization of the Caucasus map is done, and now the team is optimizing the other maps for improved VR performance. Once done and tested, we’ll release this in a future Open Beta.

I'm starting a new sticky for this impressive device.

Thanks

Wags, have you tried the HP Reverb yet? just wondering if you had you could compare?

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Wags, have you tried the HP Reverb yet? just wondering if you had you could compare?

Or for Pimax 5k + (with sharpness).

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

I don't know about others here, but many people don't have the opportunity to try first.

i get that. i was mostly commenting about users choosing headsets based on speculative forum posts and without any reviews.

for example, so many people discounted the Rift until Wags post.

everyone can do that they want of course, but i have to say, it’s really interesting to watch.

i get that. i was mostly commenting about users choosing headsets based on speculative forum posts and without any reviews.

for example, so many people discounted the Rift until Wags post.

everyone can do that they want of course, but i have to say, it’s really interesting to watch.

Speculation is always fun, especially when no further info available yet.

:D

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Speculation is always fun, especially when no further info available yet.

:D

Yeah, pretty much. Thus far no one aside from Wags even has the S. So as a "first" review it sounds "ok". I'm not surprised it seems cleared since its using RGB and not pentile, that should in "theory" be about 30% more "clear" But I'm really curious how it stacks up against the current crop of headsets that have higher res. Plus the HP Reverb also uses LCD screens so again way more subpixels but also way more pixels overall.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Sorry folks, but I am under NDA with Oculus and I've said about all I can.

Thanks

Which is all we need to keep us going for a week or two. The info is very much appreciated, certainly sparks the curiosity, and adds to the overall fun of anticipation :thumbup::thumbup:

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

lol, literally any headset that's came out after the rift is going to be more clear. It's like a 15% res bump over the CV1. The lack of ipd adjustment is more than enough to keep me from dropping 400 dollars on it. That and the lack of a pair of headphones.

lol, literally any headset that's came out after the rift is going to be more clear. It's like a 15% res bump over the CV1. The lack of ipd adjustment is more than enough to keep me from dropping 400 dollars on it. That and the lack of a pair of headphones.

Yeah 15% but RGB vs pentile is going to make it look better too. Then again I think most of the new headsets are going to be using RGB and will have double the res of the current CV1.

Edited by Harlikwin

You've got everybody doubting their initial choices for a new VR set. :)

Thanks for updating Wags.

This and thanks Wags. I've been a long time out of DCS. Did a bit when VR came out, lots of potential but couldn't really see much and I didn't do combat anyway as I just loved to mostly fly.

DX11 I think it was came of the betas and it went from looking all DX9 to trees the wrecked my day and just amazing in VR even with the res limitations so I got back into flying around.

Did a bit of a mod so I could see incoming and started air combat and was hooked on P51's and P86's. Jaw dropping.

New VR gear on the horizon and I am now really looking forward to it. I was extremely disappointed with the Rift S reveal but if any post ever was going to put it back on the list it was this one.

I have gone from hoping the Index was going to be worth the enormous upgrade path to I might be good to go right now with the new VR optimization and your comments on the Rift S.

Anyway thanks to the team there. Be it combat or just flying around with my jaw in my lap this is an outstanding sim and looking forward to the future.

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

I do believe there is speakers in that headband but they will be meh at best.

Just a bit of perspective on the headphones. Personal choice and all that but I got a bit of a story on that one. I removed my Rift headphones early on as my gaming headphones were better.

I have since upgraded the audio and I now run optical out through and amp' into what I consider very good quality headphones and mate honestly I would not go back to anything that is built to meet a price in an overall package.

Not as elegant for sure as the Rift ones that is a given but they make the Rift ones sound broken imo. 1 cable, 2 cables, meh no difference in a cockpit for me :)

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

The Oculus Rift S is designed with a new Passthrough+ system

Oh man, once DCS has a system that allows me to see through to my real cockpit with the in game out of cockpit visuals overlaid, I am sold :)

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

One last note: rolling out behind the boat, I had not problem seeing the ball.

Thanks

Woot! Nice! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Man, I’m failing to see any justification for the excitement. Wags likes it. Cool. Besides that, it’s a mid cycle update that brings the Rift in line with where their competitors were 18 months ago, literally a catch-up device to keep Rift relevant in a much more crowded field than in 2016. Other than brand loyalty, what’s the actual interest in the S, what am I failing to see here?

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...