MAC (Modern Air Combat) Discussion - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #21
Abburo

While MAC could be a good opportunity to increase DCS World users mass directly, it can also add a new level of exploits by having easier to manage planes. How wil youl be able when you see a Mig21 for example, to diferentiate if it is the full module or the easy one? this could add an extra level of complexity which I don't think will be well received by older DCS fans.

On the other hand some tips could be left on their modules withh messages like... for full features go to DC World" .

This will also need to have an affordable price to counter the quite high number of arcade games which are at 1999 level of play but with some better graphics. Again, in this context MAC might be able to cannibalize DCS World by adding a large number of planes at a lower price, so that no one will be interested anymore in full flavour modules.

These are some aspects that I think ED also assessed and even they've been rushed last year to announce it, they understood the cons of integration with DCS and they had act accordingly.

Romanian Community for DCS World
HW Specs: i7-8700K@5GHz,ASUS Maximus X Hero, 32GB RAM 3000MHz, MSI Nvidia GTX 1080TI watercooled, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Intel/Samsung M.2 , VKB MCG Pro + Virpil Throttle + Leo Bodnar BU0836(A and X), MFG Crosswind, Logitech G13, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Stream Deck
Abburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #22
Gierasimov

Cool Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTInc71 View Post
The release has been announced for autumn 2018...but there is utter silence from ED ever since...

Is there a release in planning at all???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it is not MAC3. The game will be Modern Air Combat, yes a separate game as posted by others already.

Here is the update ED gave at the end of 2018:

"Modern Air Combat (MAC) Update
Since the announcement of MAC, we have been listening to customer feedback and we have been busy expanding the product to maximize your enjoyment. In addition to the 14 aircraft and four maps, we’ve been engaged with the following features that will bring the product to the next level flight game entertainment:
A redesigned Mission Generator that allows you to easily create exciting missions based on a selected mission type. This will provide a much more focused and fun gameplay experience that is designed around action and fun.
An entirely new interface. MAC will feature a very modern, intuitive and beautiful interface that will feel at home in 2018!
Taking advantage of the new Dedicated Server system, MAC will allow you to earn accomplishments and points that you can then use to purchase DCS World products. The new system has a detailed point-earning system that is also tied to leader boards and record scores.
Enhanced assists to help new players will come with MAC like auto-trim, navigation and target marker locations, and unified control inputs.
All of this will result in a much better product, but it has extended our development time. We look forward to bringing you MAC in the 2019!"
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
dburne
Veteran

I will definitely purchase it. While I enjoy DCS as a SP guy I find it somewhat lacking, plus spending all the time necessary to even properly learn a module enough to be able to fly combat with it. I currently have way more modules than I will ever have time to learn.

I want something I can easily learn and be able to fly SP campaigns in without having to spend months trying to learn all the systems and nuances of a single plane.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #24
Sheriff BurneR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
I have no reasons to buy it to anyone if it is not compatible with DCS world.
Agree
Sheriff BurneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #25
Gierasimov

Smile They said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
So I believe they mean that you can install it separately without installing DCS world first, but you can install it as a module as well....
They confirmed already it will not be a DCS module but a separate product.
Do you remember LO:MAC? At some point, ED introduced DCS as a separate product where you would not need to install LO:MAC first to install Flaming Cliffs as it was designed initially.
Now, they are addressing the old LO:MAC users with the new MAC. Nothing wrong there.
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #26
Wags
ED Team

As we noted in a rather recent newsletter, we decided to greatly expand MAC to make it a AAA product. This in turn significantly moved back out production time line. Once we have a confident release date, we will be pleased to announce it then.

For now, suffice to say that much of the company is focused on MAC and making steady progress. When there is news to share, we certainly will.

Thanks
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #27
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
As we noted in a rather recent newsletter, we decided to greatly expand MAC to make it a AAA product. This in turn significantly moved back out production time line. Once we have a confident release date, we will be pleased to announce it then.

For now, suffice to say that much of the company is focused on MAC and making steady progress. When there is news to share, we certainly will.

Thanks
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #28
Plainsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

Thanks
Thank you very much. I am excited about MAC (I loved LOMAC). I purchased the Nevada and PG maps months ago in anticipation of MAC in 2018. While I have DCS World, I work a lot and have a family to care for. I don't have time to learn complicated systems in a study sim. At the same time, I don't want Combat Ace or a total arcade flyer. I have no interest in "earning points" like an arcade game. I want an enhanced version of LOMAC or the older Janes Combat Sims. I want to be able to boot up whenever I have a few minutes, which is usually once a month, jump into a modern fighter with semi-realistic physics and easy startup option, engage in first-person, in-cockpit Single-PLayer action with outstanding graphics. No rock music tunes like some arcade game; no having to earn points to enhance my fighters or buy the next best version like a silly Playstation or Xbox auto racing game. I'm hoping MAC will deliver the perfect experience.

Last edited by Plainsman; 04-18-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Plainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #29
Commandosolo

MAC has scope creep, it is what it is and it will be out when it's out.

Scope creep is death for programmers
Commandosolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #30
Mmmslash

I don't feel like this has really been properly communicated by someone from ED, so I'll ask as directly as I believe I can:

Is MAC going to be a DCS product that works alongside existing modules inside of the existing simulation? Or is this a separate product entirely?

I ask because I can only find community folks saying the latter, and can't seem to find a response from ED saying so. All I take from Wags' response here is that it was pushed back to ensure quality.
Mmmslash is offline   Reply With Quote