Question about 2019 map progression - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
zionid

Default Question about 2019 map progression

As mentioned, there are now multiple maps in the pipeline. As far as I know, they are the following

Syria - (Ugra Media)
Falklands (Razbam)
Free modern map (ED- will be main focus after PG now is finished)
WW2 Map 1- Unkown location (Developer?)
WW2 Map 2 - Unknown location (Developer?)

My question is- who are making the WW2 maps? ED? If so, it seems weird to be mentioned for a 2019 release lineup. ED use a long time on their maps, and are just now shifting into full steam with their FREE unknown map.

While Syria looks to have come a long way, 2019 seems like a reasonable year for release, but seing as we are a quarter plus into the year with many of these maps location still secret and not revealed, are these even slated for this year? Is this something that is planned for the future? Who are the developers?

It would be nice to know what to look forward to and have at least an idea (in years) of the timeframe and location of these maps.
zionid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
Winterz

If im correct Heatblur was working on two maps aswell one for the Viggen and an other one for the Tomcat. Im not 100% sure tho.

Lose sight / Lose fight
Winterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Cunctator

Magnitude 3 LLC has also signaled that they plan to finish their Iwo Jima map one day. If we are lucky it will still be a part of their F4U project.
Cunctator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Gierasimov

Red face They never said it is releasing in 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionid View Post

My question is- who are making the WW2 maps? ED? If so, it seems weird to be mentioned for a 2019 release lineup. ED use a long time on their maps, and are just now shifting into full steam with their FREE unknown map.
ED said they are working on this but never said it will be released this year.

"With 2018 we saw the release of the DCS: Persian Gulf Map. For 2019 we and our partners are working on two new World War II maps, a Syria map, a Falkland Islands map, and a new free map that we’ll discuss later in the year."

While Wags did confirm it will not be a Vietnam map, he never said it will be modern unless we are talking about modern in terms of "post WW2".
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Has two possibilities:
-ED Minsk map team studio has building the free and 2 ww2 maps (one of them has appears on a Wags videos as "Straight of Dover").
- Has a secondary team building the WW2 map (the WW2 team?), outside of other 3rd parties.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
schroedi

ED is making an Afghanistan, is that the free map they are talking about?
i5 2500 @ 3.8-4.1 Ghz, Asrock Z75 Pro3, 24GB, GTX 780 3GB, 256GB SSD, 128GB SSD, 1TB, 2x 500GB 2,5" HDDs, 22" 1680x1050, Win10 Home
schroedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
CodenameSection

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedi View Post
ED is making an Afghanistan, is that the free map they are talking about?
I think Afghanistan being the free map is a decent bet but there hasn't been any official word on it yet, the Afghanistan map was also strangely omitted from the newsletter that first mentioned the free map along other theatres currently in development for DCS.

We'll have to wait for an announcement to know for certain what the setting of the free map will be but we do know two things about it: that it's not a Vietnam map and that it's Wags' "Dream Map" (although I don't think any of us know Wags well enough to make anything out of the latter point ).
CodenameSection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #8
mazex

Well, I read on a Swedish page that one of the maps that Heatblur might be doing is the area around the Swedish island Gotland in the Baltic Sea:

https://varvat.se/dcs-world-ajs-37-viggen-recension/

My translation of the last part:

"But I have heard a rumor that the studio might develop a new map for DCS. This time based on the region around Gotland. In other words, time to sink some Russian destroyers in the future."

That would be nice, especially if it covers some part of the Baltic coast and Kaliningrad. Good setting for some fictional cold war action... Landed on Gotland in a C-130 during my military service and they had Viggens on the Visby airport on "incident watch duty" back then, even though it was not a pemanent Viggen base. A lot of Soviet aircraft that regularly tested how fast they where able got into the air...

And we continue to have JAS 39's on Gotland in the same manner. Below an image of a JAS 39 landing on a regular road on Gotland (an old Viggen tradition to be able to land almost anywhere with very fast turn around):

Last edited by mazex; 04-10-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Changed "is" to "might be doing"
mazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Heatblur for now has not confirmed a "actively" map develop yet (only plans). He has hiring personal to build vehicles / aircrafts and surely personal to build maps.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #10
Gierasimov

Cool Expect the news but not release

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionid View Post
(...)
While Syria looks to have come a long way, 2019 seems like a reasonable year for release, but seing as we are a quarter plus into the year with many of these maps location still secret and not revealed, are these even slated for this year? (...)

I wish it was possible that we see a new map this year. However with one of the statements regarding NAS Fallon that Wags commented on, makes me think, that works will roll over to the timeframe beyond 2019.

Quote:
7- All our map resources are tied up with new map projects for the next several years.
Original post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...7&postcount=53
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote