TM Cougar sealed magnetoresistive/ hall sensor kits - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Yes, is expensive comparatively to plain HALL sensor - e.g. Allegro A-1324 is 20$* x 2$.

But in recent past people in this forum pay ~50$ for HALL sensor kits just because are somewhat "PnP", but trick to calibrate. Similar kit still available and more expensive.

If the guy have an minimum DIY skill A-1324 is easy to install.

Until an PnP kit like this you make, but with analog interface came, A-1324 is (IMO) the best option for TQS for users than want keep Cougar controller.

* Don't know if still available, the ordinary TQS pot replacement from Thrustmaster cost more than this value.

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 10-05-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #22
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Yes, is expensive comparatively to plain HALL sensor - e.g. Allegro A-1324 is 20$* x 2$.

But in recent past people in this forum pay ~50$ for HALL sensor kits just because are somewhat "PnP", but trick to calibrate. Similar kit still available and more expensive.

If the guy have an minimum DIY skill A-1324 is easy to install.

Until an PnP kit like this you make, but with analog interface came, A-1324 is (IMO) the best option for TQS for users than want keep Cougar controller.

* Don't know if still available, the ordinary TQS pot replacement from Thrustmaster cost more than this value.
Yes your right Sokol , maybe I just upload a sketch for an easy DIY mount for an Allegro 1324 for the TQS on Shapeways. Then people can print it themselves. I tried fitting the MR Sensor but Id need to make a completely new PCB and stencil for that. Not worth the effort imho.

So you are saying I am too cheap? Need to raise prices then I guess.

PS: Tonight I was busy otherwise: CH Hats. As far as I know noone has done these so far and Id like to convert my Combatstick to a full blown Fighterstick. Switches are OMRON B3F-1022.

Last edited by rel4y; 10-05-2018 at 01:42 PM.
rel4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, its still available and the cost is 10 euro plus shipping, last month purchased one as spare.
Rudel_chw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #24
Sajarov

It's very interesting the pot replacement for CH prpducts.

In the Pro throttle, a PCB is needed or just the sensor?

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk
Intellectual freedom is essential to human society — freedom to obtain and distribute information, freedom for open-minded and unfearing debate, and freedom from pressure by officialdom and prejudices - Andrei Sakharov.

WELCOME BACK OLEG
Sajarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #25
rel4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajarov View Post
It's very interesting the pot replacement for CH prpducts.

In the Pro throttle, a PCB is needed or just the sensor?

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk
No you dont need any PCB, these are plug and play. The cool thing about these MR sensors is that they replace the standard CH pots 1 to 1, but contrary to them they work contactless. That means you can simply connect these sensors to your CH mainboard and done. You will never have to worry about deteriorating or dirty pots again. The CH Control Manager recognizes this sensor normally and you can calibrate it.

I just finished making the first batch of CH MR sensors. But I just saw that Shapeways increased 3D printing prices, which I calculated to a 17% price increase on my models. Well great Shapeways...

For installation you can simply pinch the original crimp connectors a bit with a pair of pliers, but I always recommend soldering! Then just stick them ontop of the header pins and your good to go. Your wires colors will be different since this is a gameport CH Pro Throttle. On the sensor PCB the pins are labled as GND, OUT and VCC. For the USB CH Pro Throttle green = GND, yellow = OUT and blue = VCC.

While setting the range I also took a screenshot of the output in VKB joytester. This is uncalibrated so dont be suprised that it doesnt reach full range. Btw the original CH pot doesnt even reach as far as this MR sensor does in uncalibrated state.

Last edited by rel4y; 10-16-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #26
Thasiet

These will still be limited to 8 bit resolution when used plug in play into a CH board, right? How much are the CH pots going to cost? Definitely interested in a few. Same Thasiet from SimHQ forums.
Thasiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #27
rel4y

Hi Thasiet,
How are you doing? Done with your project?

The cost is 20€ per piece and I have only one left at the moment.

Yeah if you use the standard CH mainboard there is no change from the 8 Bit resolution. But I still plan to make a higher res mainboard in the near future. However it is not yet clear based on which microcontroller. The STM32F1 seem interesting, so I have ordered a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel4y View Post
My next project will be a combi-shield usable in the CH Combat/Fighterstick + Pedals + Throttle based on the 32 Bit ARM STM32F1 controllers also used in Drones. That microcontroller is much more powerful than the Arduinos and has internal 12 Bit ADCs. I plan to make that one open source and upload it to OSH Park. These sensors would be a perfect fit for such an upgrade from 8 to 12 Bit, as the standard CH pots just dont cut it at 12 Bit.

Last edited by rel4y; 10-06-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
samtheeagle

Hi rel4y,

Fascinating work you're doing here! I was thinking about whether I could upgrade the pots in my CH Holy Trinity, and apparently I can... Following with interest!

I was wondering about the board upgrade you mentioned; Would it still work with the Control Manager Software? Feels like it wouldn't, but that's just a hunch.
samtheeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #29
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasiet View Post
These will still be limited to 8 bit resolution when used plug in play into a CH board, right?
The (limited) resolution of CH's is due their ("1999") USB controller, not due use pot - what are not resolution liming factor.

An workaround for this issue is install a new USB controller inside CH's for handle only their axes, leaving the original USB controller for be able to program buttons in Manager.

In this way will be no more possible make "cheat" with axes in Manager, but have improved resolution. BRD/Baur did some custom versions using CH's in that way.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #30
rel4y

Quote:
An workaround for this issue is install a new USB controller inside CH's for handle only their axes, leaving the original USB controller for be able to program buttons in Manager.

In this way will be no more possible make "cheat" with axes in Manager, but have improved resolution. BRD/Baur did some custom versions using CH's in that way.
Hey Sokol, I didnt know that. Do you have a link perhaps? I plan to do a board which allows you to plug the connectors of all the CH devices straight in and makes use of their button matrix. Since CH uses 0.1 in connectors I can just put a bunch of header pins on there. Or maybe I find these male connectors somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheeagle View Post
Hi rel4y,

Fascinating work you're doing here! I was thinking about whether I could upgrade the pots in my CH Holy Trinity, and apparently I can... Following with interest!

I was wondering about the board upgrade you mentioned; Would it still work with the Control Manager Software? Feels like it wouldn't, but that's just a hunch.
Thanks! Well no, it wouldnt work with CH Control Manager. But the CH manager would be adequately replaced by some equally powerful manager software (as eg MMJoy).

Last edited by rel4y; 10-06-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Tags
cougar, hall, sensor, standalone, thrustmaster