Cold War 1947 - 1991 - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejsus View Post
Great news! I like silhouette iff environments the most + dynamic. And we are expecting two more cold war era airframes hopefully soon, one for each side, Mig19 and A7. Slowly getting there.
The A7 fits well, I guess. I'll just have to find some balance for all the modules included regarding the available slots.
Alpenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
m4ti140

Add mandatory SRS to the rules and It's gonna be perfect
m4ti140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #13
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ti140 View Post
Add mandatory SRS to the rules and It's gonna be perfect
Can't force anyone into anything. Besides most players prefer srs anyways.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
SchniX

Great!
SchniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #15
2RGT Oberst

Thank you for bringing MIG-21 and F-5 back to life in the Caucasus in Open Beta!
my flight group thanks you!

2RGT Oberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
philstyle

Excellent, I love servers that are prepared to go with restricted historical planesets, rather than just trying to have all of them in . .

I shall be patronising this server.

Current: AMD 3700x, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB 3200 RAM, Auros Pro X570, 2TB M.2 drive
Previous build: i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
Alpenwolf

You're welcome, boys. See you in the skies

Last edited by Alpenwolf; 07-31-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #18
Shadow KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Excellent, I love servers that are prepared to go with restricted historical planesets, rather than just trying to have all of them in . .

I shall be patronising this server.
All of the aircraft in DCS were in service before 1991, sooo yeah... this is more of a 47-70 (if you remove the Su-25 and A-10A)

You can call it Vietnam War , because it ain't the real cold one for sure. Don't see why realistic payloads and aircraft for those years can't be made, but this is up to the server owner

Don't get me wrong I did like the server (before trees killing my fps became a thing) and I still like the F-5 vs MiG-21 setup, but I wouldn't go around calling it cold war (yes, I know it has always been called like that). Cheers will definitely be playin' on it again when I upgrade my GPU.

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Last edited by Shadow KT; 06-05-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #19
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow KT View Post
All of the aircraft in DCS were in service before 1991, sooo yeah... this is more of a 47-70 (if you remove the Su-25 and A-10A)

You can call it Vietnam War , because it ain't the real cold one for sure. Don't see why realistic payloads and aircraft for those years can't be made, but this is up to the server owner

Don't get me wrong I did like the server (before trees killing my fps became a thing) and I still like the F-5 vs MiG-21 setup, but I wouldn't go around calling it cold war (yes, I know it has always been called like that). Cheers will definitely be playin' on it again when I upgrade my GPU.
You're totally right, I'm aware of that. That's why I wrote this in the main post:

"In this dynamic campaign the focus will be mainly on the MiG-21 and the F-5 and other modules that I see suitable for the scenario I have. That being said jet planes like the Su-27, Su-33, F-15, MiG-29, M-2000, F-18 and F-14 will be excluded to simply give third generation fighters/interceptors or planes of an inferior generation the chance of dogfighting rather than having BVR aerial battles most of the time."

So basically all servers are Cold War kinda thing. Which means if I'd call it "Cold War 1947 - 1991" I wont be deviating all that much from the reality of it
Old 06-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #20
OxideMako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenwolf View Post
As much as I'd love to do that for all the Harrier pilots out there but unfortunately the version of the Harrier we have is of the late 90's.
Uh...

"First flight of a modified AV-8B in night attack from was on June 26th, 1987. Deliveries to the USMC began in September of 1989 to VMA-214 at Yuma."

"Marine Attack Squadron 214 became the first squadron to introduce the Night Attack capability into the Unit Deployment Program in October 1991, by deploying 20 Night Attack Harriers to Iwakuni, Japan, for seven months
Follow-up units based out of Yuma received their Night Attack forms by the end of 1992."

Limit the weapons (mainly JDAMS/TGP which are from the 90s) and it should fit in just fine. (although in very limited numbers given only VMA-214 had them before 1992.)

The "S" upgraded Viggens you have on the server are from at the earliest 1993. The AJ's specific "S" variant upgrade entered service in 1996 IIRC.

Even the Ka-50 entered service in 1995. I'm from around then, and I wasn't even born when the Berlin Wall fell. Don't just set an arbitrary date cutoff/other limit for one aircraft then ignore it for others, same with the Su-25T, you can just limit the ELINT/MPU gear and boom, no SEAD. Although the T variant never even entered service.

TLDR pick what fits, but don't cite the dates as the reason when it clearly isn't. I get that "cold war" type missions can be real delicate things but 1947-1991 is at best, a little misleading with choices like that IMO.

Introduction dates or selections based on balance, don't do both, that's how we ended up with War Thunder.

This may come off as "ranty", but I am legitimately trying to offer some constructive criticism.

The concept looks great though, and I look forward to seeing how it develops in the future. Is Blue-Flag style gameplay rather than the 104th the end goal of your project? As it seems similar in scope.