DIY Warthog Desk Mount - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #11
Nevyn

Clever OP. Mmmmm, time to come up with a cunning plan like this for myself I reckon.
Nevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #12
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I especially liked the kneeboard idea.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
mondaysoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
I've been urged to post this here for fellow DCS addicts. I got tired of taking up most of my desk with joysticks and throttles. This setup is much more comfortable and I can just slide them off in 2 seconds if needs be. If you're interested in this setup for your own desks, let me know. I have drawings of both.
Thank you Rosco for posting your ideas and giving me the inspiration to do something interesting with my TMWH..

The throttle slide took me about 3 days to make, about three hours each day including painting and an awful lot of head scratching, your drawings helped a lot.

I'm not going to copy your joystick setup, but rather try and make something where the pedals and joystick are attached to a base board and I will probably purchase an extension for the stick, probably around the10cm mark, as I fly heli's mainly..

As you can see from the pictures it is still early days, cables and wires everywhere. I think I have sussed out how the TIR cables will run, basically everything under the desk. My only head scratcher at the moment is the keyboard, running out of room underneath, hopefully with the new TMWH I won't need to use it much anyways.

Will post more pics when complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	4510
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	119927  

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/Persian Gulf Map/CE II/Mig-19/F-16 Viper/FW-A-8

My system:

Spoiler:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo
3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k
H100i CPU Cooler
16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red
MSI GTX980ti GPU
EVGA 850W PSU
Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD
128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)
Windows 10 X64 Professional
Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor
Trackir 5
MFG Crosswind pedals
T M Warthog Hotas
Razor Blackshark Headset

Last edited by mondaysoff; 07-22-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: duplicate images
mondaysoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:13 AM   #14
TomOnSteam

I think there would be a lot of interest in selling these as a ready made product that you can attach to a desk. (or a kit with some tool-less assembly)

I mean I bought an Obutto cockpit because I didn't have the tools, time, space and skills to make even an ugly version.

I guess some people wouldn't want to permanently modify their desks, so it would be good to have clamping version too.

I think it could save some relationships by having an easily removable and attachable set up haha
TomOnSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
mondaysoff

OK, pedal and stick floor mount now complete. I have really enjoyed making this setup, and what's best is, it hasn't cost me a fortune, I paid about £20 for the black plastic pipe and fittings, and £40 for a 10cm Warthog extension from Wasy100, everything else has been scrounged from around the house, garage and attic, I very rarely throw anything away. I used 12mm MDF board for the throttle slide and 12mm chipboard for the floor mount, all nuts, bolts, screws and washers collected over the years, already had the grey and black paint, the under board supports are unused cupboard feet from an IKEA furniture pack, which I might add grip the carpet like glue.

Now all I have to do is learn to adjust from Desktop control to a more real life situation, before this setup I used a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, (which will be up for sale soon) so the Warthog is a brand new experience for me, as soon as I received the Warthog in the post, it was being measured up for this setup, so has not been used in DCS yet. I have had the MFG’s for about six months, so I am used to them now, I have never had pedals before, so I jumped straight in with the Crosswind’s. IMO these two devices, although extremely expensive, are a match made in heaven, I know just sitting here with my feet on the pedals, right hand on the stick (extension included) and left hand on the throttle, I just know MY DCS experience is going to increase 10 fold.

Once again, without Rosco’s imagination and pictures I would probably still be playing from the desktop.

My apologies for the sideways pictures, I must be doing something wrong, they are the correct way up before I upload them.

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG
Views:	4115
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	119930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	8687
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	119931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG
Views:	3991
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	119932  

My system:

Spoiler:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo
H100i CPU Cooler
MSI GTX980ti GPU
EVGA 850W PSU
Trackir 5
MFG Crosswind pedals
T M Warthog Hotas
Razor Blackshark Headset
Old 07-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #16
cichlidfan
Veteran

Very nicely done!
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #17
mondaysoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
Very nicely done!
Thank you cichlidfan for your +rep, have only just noticed.

I can't stress enough how much more smoother and accurate flying is with this setup, including using the warthog extension. I didn't think I could enjoy DCS anymore than I already did.

Thanks again Rosco for showing your design.

My system:

Spoiler:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo
H100i CPU Cooler
MSI GTX980ti GPU
EVGA 850W PSU
Trackir 5
MFG Crosswind pedals
T M Warthog Hotas
Razor Blackshark Headset
Old 08-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #18
Solway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaysoff View Post
OK, pedal and stick floor mount now complete. I have really enjoyed making this setup, and what's best is, it hasn't cost me a fortune, I paid about £20 for the black plastic pipe and fittings, and £40 for a 10cm Warthog extension from Wasy100, everything else has been scrounged from around the house, garage and attic, I very rarely throw anything away. I used 12mm MDF board for the throttle slide and 12mm chipboard for the floor mount, all nuts, bolts, screws and washers collected over the years, already had the grey and black paint, the under board supports are unused cupboard feet from an IKEA furniture pack, which I might add grip the carpet like glue.
Perfect, simple and comfy.
Pls show in detail how did you attach the stick to the pipe and the pipe to the chipboard.
Thank you in advance.
Solway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #19
Rogue Trooper

Very nicely done mondaysoff. It looks superb.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
mondaysoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by solway View Post
Perfect, simple and comfy.
Pls show in detail how did you attach the stick to the pipe and the pipe to the chipboard.
Thank you in advance.
With the pipe section you have two blanking caps, one double pipe connector and a 1 metre length of single socket soil pipe, all 120mm. This was all purchased from Screwfix.com.

For the base blanking end cap, once you have found your comfortable position (distance from pedals and stick) you can drill your holes through the blanking cap the size of your bolts, I did four. Then place in position on the base board and drill through the wood, fix to the board using desired nuts, bolts and washers. This is now ready to accept the double connector fitting, once in place you can to stop this section from turning inside the joint (It didn’t with mine, a very snug/tight fit) by making a pilot hole and using 20mm self tapping screws to secure, I did five around the base and five at the top where the WH meets the top blanking cap. I didn’t use glue just incase of any future adjustments were required.

Now you can insert your 1 mtr piece of soil pipe into the double connector, you will need to cut this piece to your desired length, always cut the bottom end, the narrower end, the wider end, the top will take your other blanking cap with the WH attached. Once your desired length is achieved you can now fix this in place with more self tapping screws if you wish, to the top section of the double connector joint (I didn’t, because I found it quite solid enough).

The blanking cap is the perfect diameter for the base of the Warthog stick to sit on and is roughly the same thickness as the original steel square base, so the screws can be reused.

To mount the cap to the Warthog stick you will first require a piece of tracing paper ( haven't used that since primary school days), remove the metal base from the stick and place the tracing paper over the holes of the metal base and mark with a pencil, be careful not to move the paper whilst doing this. When you have your pencil marks, get a ruler and draw two straight lines from the top and bottom holes and the same for left and right holes, that should give you a centre point. There is a small centre point marking on the blanking caps to match up with your tracing, best to sellotape this in place and drill the holes, just make pilot holes for this end the screws will self tape into the plastic and make for a sturdier fit. Before securing with self tappers and if you are not using an extension, place the WH into the pipe and adjust for comfort, then secure.

Thanks for your interest and I hope this explanation helps.

My system:

Spoiler:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo
H100i CPU Cooler
MSI GTX980ti GPU
EVGA 850W PSU
Trackir 5
MFG Crosswind pedals
T M Warthog Hotas
Razor Blackshark Headset

Last edited by mondaysoff; 08-15-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Tags
diy, home-built, hotas mount, thrustmaster, warthog