Any plans for a data cartridge? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #41
Tippis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
Don't read more into it than is there, the focus is where it is at right now, down the road I am sure its something that could be considered, but remember, its not just a simple copy and paste either.
Of course not — my point is more that, if there's ever an opportunity to save a ton of effort down the road on something that eventually has to happen for all planes, it is now, with this feature.

I fully understand that the recent Viper/Hornet back-and-forth over delaying vs not delaying and pitting development of one platform against the other may have left a bad taste in everyone's mouths, but this is truly an area where delaying implementation until a solid universal platform/API is in place would be better. As in, orders of magnitude better. I'm also not talking about copy-paste, but about exactly that: a UX+UI+avionics framework with a corresponding API that each module hooks into to get the flight setup and data it needs for its particular purposes and cockpit quirks.

I feel pretty confident in suggesting that all the different modules don't each have their own unique implementation of the rearm/refuel interface you can pop up — same thing here. Same with the special tabs and various plane-specific mission editor tabs. They all hook into a pre-existing UI and data file creation convention and structure, and DTC/MUMI/whatever-loading should work in a similar way: a unified real-time UI that modules can populate with its necessary settings, and with a unified structure for storing that data (so it can be exchanged between users, stored in missions, etc etc) and loading it while the game is running.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #42
Harker
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippis View Post
Of course not — my point is more that, if there's ever an opportunity to save a ton of effort down the road on something that eventually has to happen for all planes, it is now, with this feature.

I fully understand that the recent Viper/Hornet back-and-forth over delaying vs not delaying and pitting development of one platform against the other may have left a bad taste in everyone's mouths, but this is truly an area where delaying implementation until a solid universal platform/API is in place would be better. As in, orders of magnitude better. I'm also not talking about copy-paste, but about exactly that: a UX+UI+avionics framework with a corresponding API that each module hooks into to get the flight setup and data it needs for its particular purposes and cockpit quirks.

I feel pretty confident in suggesting that all the different modules don't each have their own unique implementation of the rearm/refuel interface you can pop up — same thing here. Same with the special tabs and various plane-specific mission editor tabs. They all hook into a pre-existing UI and data file creation convention and structure, and DTC/MUMI/whatever-loading should work in a similar way: a unified real-time UI that modules can populate with its necessary settings, and with a unified structure for storing that data (so it can be exchanged between users, stored in missions, etc etc) and loading it while the game is running.
That's a great post, IMO. This would make future development efficient, streamlined and any update to the API would immediately benefit all modules using it. I do hope that the shared radar code between the Hornet and the Viper is exactly a form of that.
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, i7-8700k, RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 960 Pro 512 GB, 970 Evo Plus 1TB, WD Gold 6TB, Seasonic Prime Platinum 1300W, Acer Predator XB271HK|Hornet grip on T-50 base, Warthog side-stick, Warthog throttle, TPR pedals, 3 MFDs, MT desk mounts, TrackIR|
F/A-18C, F-16C, JF-17, AV-8B, A-10C, M-2000C, F-14, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:02 AM   #43
NineLine
Community Manager

I would/can assume that most things we do now are done with the idea of future development in mind, so I would assume as well that if we have the time, and the desire, it could be added to other modules that make use of it. The line right now is, there are no current plans to share. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippis View Post

ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #44
nessuno0505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tholozor View Post
Both the A-10 and the Hornet are capable of having multiple flight plans, not just one. So you could have a data cartridge loaded with a bunch of different relevant waypoints, and multiple flight plans using those custom waypoints in any order, all set up and ready as soon as you start up the jet; no need to mess around with the HSI/CDU and creating all the waypoints every time, just plug-n-play.

Would be incredibly useful for multiplayer missions with no pre-set flight plans or waypoints. You could program in all the waypoints of all the objectives into the jet and easily create a flight plan without having to manually input all the coordinates, just all the corresponding waypoints and go. Plus you can't name waypoints in the Hornet unless it's done in the ME, so being able to name the waypoints would be a bonus.

Countermeasure profiles are also an option in this regard as well. The existing ones on the A-10 are already quite expansive in their use, but there's so many of them it can be a bit fumbling to either constantly switch to the correct one without memorizing the profiles, or using semi-active or automatic modes, which may not be exactly what the pilot wants. It would be much more user-friendly to have the exact profiles you want all right next to each other without having to spend all that time reprogramming the system every time you load into a new jet.
Let me understand it better: with the a-10c when I click "load all" button it is supposed that I load a cartridge in the CDU with all the data I prepared in the mission editor. As it is now, when I enter the cockpit in my cartridge I have just my mission editor setup and in the mission editor I can prepare only one flight plan. With the Hornet we'll have the ability to bring multiple flight plans inside our cartridge when we enter cockpit, so that we can change it quickly if needed? Is this that you mean?

Last edited by nessuno0505; 12-07-2019 at 05:30 PM.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #45
Tholozor

Correct. Right now, on the Hornet's HSI you can switch between the flight plans (Waypoint Sequence) between 1 and 3; by default, sequences 2 and 3 are always blank, and sequence 1 will always be the waypoints established in the mission editor. With the data cartridge feature, you should be able to have waypoints and flight plans set up ahead of time without having to program them in the cockpit.

JDAM/JSOW pre-planned targets are also something that be used with the data cartridge, along with radar weapon profiles (bar scan, azimuth settings, memory timeouts, etc.).

IIRC, on the Hornet, data cartridge download is performed from the MUMI page (currently just a placeholder page on display).
Old 12-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #46
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessuno0505 View Post
Let me understand it better: with the a-10c when I click "load all" button it is supposed that I load a cartridge in the CDU with all the data I prepared in the mission editor. As it is now, when I enter the cockpit in my cartridge I have just my mission editor setup and in the mission editor I can prepare only one flight plan. With the Hornet we'll have the ability to bring multiple flight plans inside our cartridge when we enter cockpit, so that we can change it quickly if needed? Is this that you mean?
i think what many people hope for with data catridges is the promise of MP mission planning, since a cartridge would make most sense, if you had some ability to make a flight plan after loading into a MP mission.

f.e. you load into a mission (sp or mp), while still on the ramp, you go over the briefing and use a flight planner tool to create waypoints and set up the aircraft to your wishes.
after exiting the tool, the ground crew loads your odnance and you use the data cartridge to load all the things you set-up into your aircraft.

for those playing public multiplayer, that would probably be a godsend, but also for private MP / coop it would just be more fun to do the flight plan together in real time and while discussing it with your wingmen/squadron, instead of having it premade by the mission editor.