SW radio question - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Jarlerus

Default SW radio question

Hi.

It's come up, in our flight Group, that the Ka-50 has, IRL, a third radio (Short Wave) that's not available in-game, and therefore not usable with SRS.

Only way is to activate Extended Radios in SRS, but we're not keen on activating this feature on ALL modules.

The question is: Is this radio coming for the updated Ka-50?

Alternatively (SRS question): Is there a way to only enable this feature for the Ka-50?

Thanks,
/Jarl
Jarlerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
3WA

Lol, leave it to the Russians to jam a Ham Radio into a Heli. :p
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Kappi

Never heard about a SW radio on board of a Ka-50 or other Russian helicopter. Do you have a source for this?

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!
Kappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
Jarlerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappi View Post
Never heard about a SW radio on board of a Ka-50 or other Russian helicopter. Do you have a source for this?
This is the evidence posted in my flight-group:
(I don't know anything about the Ka-50, so any explanation of this is very much welcome ^^ )

Old 11-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Kappi

True that. Well, the Ka-50 has the R-800L1 and R-828 radio. The dial your picture shows is just the SPU-9 intercom dial, which is in use on a lot of Russian aircraft. Just having a label SW on that dial doesn't mean that the Ka-50 has a SW radio equipment. I guess that's why there is no radio on board.

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!
Kappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Ghost_Dragon03

Hello

In order for the SW radio to work, the "Radio Expansion" option must be activated on the SRS server.

Shortwave radio (SW) is mainly used to communicate internally with the Ka50 group.

Last edited by Ghost_Dragon03; 11-17-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Ghost_Dragon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Jarlerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappi View Post
True that. Well, the Ka-50 has the R-800L1 and R-828 radio. The dial your picture shows is just the SPU-9 intercom dial, which is in use on a lot of Russian aircraft. Just having a label SW on that dial doesn't mean that the Ka-50 has a SW radio equipment. I guess that's why there is no radio on board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Dragon03 View Post
Hello
Shortwave radio (SW) is mainly used to communicate internally with the Ka50 group.
Contradictory statements.

Does the Ka-50 have, or not have, a radio for communication within the Ka-50 group?

As I understand it from Kappi, is that the SPU-9 is OTS hardware that has an intercom setting, that is not used on the Ka-50.

As I understand it from Ghost_Dragon, is that it _has_ a SW radio-option that allows groups of Ka-50's to talk.

Which one is true?

//Jarl
Old 11-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
Ghost_Dragon03

Hello,

I'm talking about the use in the game.

According to the user manual, chapter 2-5
"The Ka-50 radio communications suite includes two R-800L1 and one R-868 VHF transceivers; an automatic data transmission system that updates ground controllers of the helicopter’s position and performance; the SPU-9 intercom system; the P-503B device that records any signals coming through the pilot's headphones; and the Almaz-UP-48 voice message unit (VMU) system that is capable of providing voice warning reports to the pilot of eleven types of flight emergency situations.
The Ka-50 is also equipped with an IFF transponder, the ARK-22 radio compass, and the A-036A radio altimeter."

Ghost_Dragon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
Jarlerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Dragon03 View Post
Hello,

I'm talking about the use in the game.

According to the user manual, chapter 2-5
"The Ka-50 radio communications suite includes two R-800L1 and one R-868 VHF transceivers; an automatic data transmission system that updates ground controllers of the helicopter’s position and performance; the SPU-9 intercom system; the P-503B device that records any signals coming through the pilot's headphones; and the Almaz-UP-48 voice message unit (VMU) system that is capable of providing voice warning reports to the pilot of eleven types of flight emergency situations.
The Ka-50 is also equipped with an IFF transponder, the ARK-22 radio compass, and the A-036A radio altimeter."
Please help me: Does it say anywhere that the Ka-50 has a SW radio, in addition to the R-800L1 and the T-868 transceivers?

As far as I can tell, it does not - Therefore Kappi seems to be correct in that the SPU-9 is just an OTS piece of hardware, and there's not actually a SW radion in the Ka-50.

//Jarl

Last edited by Jarlerus; 11-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
BaD CrC

There are 3 radios in the Ka50. The Short Wave is one of them, but it is using a fixed frequency with no possibility to change it. Use it for communication within a flight.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote