The cockpit is the wrong size - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #21
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkEpTic View Post
Does the IPD affect the 3D space? It may change perspective of the space but not I dont think it changes the 3D in-engine space meaning my physical cockpit still wouldn't line up with the virtual.
The IPD is the distance between your pupils, it is different among people and it is what just to allow people to have a stereovision, meaning you can easily estimate distances, but it doesn't affect to size you perceive. Even if you lose one eye, you can adapt in time to one eye vision and you can estimate ranges as well as having two eyes, but if you don't have a experience of something being at some size, it can be difficult as you need to do same thing as babies need to do.

The perspective is a point in space and geometrically all is from that. If you have one camera, the perspective is the nodal point where the light rays collide inside the lens. With virtual cameras like in games the perspective is the camera virtual positing from where the view is rendered. In VR you have two virtual cameras and both renders the scene for own eyes. And the distance between these virtual cameras doesn't change how you perceive something in distance nor size if the 3D world size doesn't get changed. This is something that can be done in the games that objects just are scaled different size regardless of the camera field of view (focal length) or perspective (position).

In VR games that allows you to create something like any drawing application, you can experience this yourself by just keeping an eye closed and you can scale the objects while keeping their distance same, as that is just changing the geometry of one object. So example if you have a three objects that all but one is kept same size and one size is scaled larger, the perspective is still the same but one of the objects will look larger than the other two.
And even if you would look the same scene with two eyes, the scale of the three objects are similar but you can just more easily estimate the distance to those three objects. And even if you change the virtual cameras distance to each other, the objects scale doesn't change, only your way to estimate the distance.

In DCS there is no scaling or even camera distance adjustment. So even if you force "IPD" value, you see things same size with one eye, regardless of the setting (I have tested that) but the 2D menu does go wanky and get rendered at different distance to the cockpit/menu.

The humans capability to estimate the distance is not about stereovision, like in VR. You can't just slap two virtual cameras and capture two different perspectives and then output it and get the player have better estimation to range. Because humans estimate the distance not by two eyes, but with the human eye muscles that how much the eyes are crossing. So when you look something at close, your eyes are crossing more, when you look far like infinity, the eyes are looking fairly much forward.

And this is one of the problems why military has not taken VR for in pilot training because you can not have pilots to estimate ranges because eyes are looking straight forward all the time, and not crossing the eyes depending distance. And that is as something that is causing nausia and other problems because you don't have realistic stereovision.

We need a 3D model scale adjustment. So we can actually scale the cockpit personally. The scale thing is very common problem in VR, lots of VR games looks correct on displays, but in VR they are HUGE and totally wrong size.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #22
lobo**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
The IPD is the distance between your pupils, it is different among people and it is what just to allow people to have a stereovision, meaning you can easily estimate distances, but it doesn't affect to size you perceive.
My understanding of the DCS IPD (poorly named IMO) is as explained by SkateZilla below:

Physical IPD on the HMD Does this, AKA Focal IPD, Adjusting the IPD of the Lenses to Match your Eyes for clarity and reducing eye strain.

Rendering IPD changes the IPD between the rendering viewports within the engine itself., thus adjusting scale.

Matching the Rendering IPD to the Focal/HMD's IPD will make every Appear 1:1,

Closing Rendering IPD will make objects seem larger, Opening Rendering IPD will make objects seem smaller..

Basically, you're scaling your head size, smaller Virtual IPD will shrink your head, making everything seem huge, larger VIPD will make your grow your head, making everything seem small.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #23
zhukov032186

If Lobo is correct, then yes, that would fix the issue without messing with any files. Interesting how that works, I knew about IPD pf course, but assumed it was the same thing in DCS. In hindsight, that redundancy would be unnecessary, so your explanation of a ''virtual'' IPD makes sense.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #24
lobo**

Its from this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...A+Focal&page=4

Post #38
Old 08-03-2018, 04:35 AM   #25
Harzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
...because eyes are looking straight forward all the time, and not crossing the eyes depending distance. And that is as something that is causing nausia and other problems because you don't have realistic stereovision.
Except that's not at all true. In my headset, if something is close to my face, my eyes are crossed. That's how binocular vision works, and how we see things in 3D, whether IRL or in VR.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 AM   #26
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbaken View Post
Wow I never thought to ask a company to implement a massive change to a product just so only I can build something that only I will use. Kudos my man.
When you play in VT, the A10C cockpit seems really huge, at least from my end. Like it or not i suppose that what he is asking for is very reasonable. He is proving a discrepancy with the RL counterpart and the changes would be easily addressable.

It is not a 1 person thing, i'd also like my VR a10c cockpit looking like the real thing.
falcon_120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harzach View Post
Except that's not at all true. In my headset, if something is close to my face, my eyes are crossed. That's how binocular vision works, and how we see things in 3D, whether IRL or in VR.
It doesn't work so, sorry.
The panels doesn't physically move, neither does lenses. You are focused to 2m distance.

The next generation Oculus HMD is doing that by physically moving panels forward and backward depending your object distance that is at front.

Even Oculus recognize this challenge but they can't do anything for it at now.

Edit: many things will change in future, but think about it why military couldn't solve it spending billions in the area of research....

--
I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Last edited by Fri13; 08-03-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:25 AM   #28
lobo**

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_120 View Post
When you play in VT, the A10C cockpit seems really huge, at least from my end. Like it or not i suppose that what he is asking for is very reasonable. He is proving a discrepancy with the RL counterpart and the changes would be easily addressable.

It is not a 1 person thing, i'd also like my VR a10c cockpit looking like the real thing.
Adjust the in game IPD.

Tags
a10c, cockpit, model