DCS F/A-18C Hornet : Flame Out Landing ... ?!?

RaiderOne

Does anybody knows how to do a decent FlameOut Landing ?

I think i missed something important, because those bloody flaps are going down at full position much too early without being able to control them ...

... the drag becomes huge and it's almost impossible to avoid a stall then a crash !

Any idea to help ?

But if im not wrong, you have hydraulics with engines on, not with APU.

This is correct.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

With hydraulics out, will the gear still blow down - I’ve never tested... i will put that on the test list.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

With a total hydraulic failure you will crash

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Without looking into the actual systems, I'd be highly surprised if the engine driven pumps didn't have electric backup pumps. As far as the APU, the only thing that's going to supply is electric power if it's also got a generator, but I don't know if it's designed for that.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I found that for the F-16 (I indeed remember quite a few Flame Out Landings (out of kerosene) on Falcon4 many years ago) :

"The F-16 does have backup systems. The aircraft battery will supply power for a couple minutes, depending on what all you're using. The hydraulic accumulators will provide hydraulic power for a minute or two, assuming you don't get too crazy. And the Emergency Power Unit (a small, monopropellant turbine in the right strake of the aircraft) will start promptly after losing the engine, providing electricity and hydraulic power for several minutes as necessary (the battery and accumulators keep you under control while it spins up). Ergo, if you lose the engine, you lose propulsion but you still have electricity and hydraulic power. So you can still maintain control of the airplane."

Is there any equivalent backup systems on the F/A-18C ?

Edited by RaiderOne

Without looking into the actual systems, I'd be highly surprised if the engine driven pumps didn't have electric backup pumps.

No electric backup.

As far as the APU, the only thing that's going to supply is electric power if it's also got a generator, but I don't know if it's designed for that.

It's not IIRC. APU only provides air.

edit:// However you should be able to use the APU to crank a dead engine, to maintain hydraulic pressure. Might give it a try, sounds fun.

Is there any equivalent backup systems on the F/A_18C ? (Quote)

Not really . No EPU or RAT . Only a second battery , and a small hydraulic accumulator .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

soooo... if you lose the right engine, eject? (Quote)

No . Either engine will supply hydraulic power . However , only the right engine can charge the accumulator , so you may have degraded/inop brakes on landing .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I just did a quick test mission - got to 10k, right above Nellis AFB and shutdown both engines, lowered the gear handle, no joy. Then cranked up the APU - nada. Started the right engine while performing a high-key pattern to land - once the engine was stable , the gear came down. Finally, I started the left engine but it didn’t spool up in time as i approached to land - this plane is a brick — it has the same flying characteristics as an F-4E. BTW: I left the flaps in the auto position.

Ps: I made Capt too - that was a surprise.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

In general 2 engine aircraft don't have a flameout pattern.

Chances of losing both and the aircraft still be flyable are negligible.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

F-18 is a dual engine, dual generator and dual hydraulic system a/c. No hydraulic same as no blood, you are capout. Eng right cover all hydaulic, including all secondary system, like anti locking break and break, gun air break etc.... All primary system are cover by both engine but if you loose engine right, you should use hook even on land. Accumulator will give you break, but it is limited. Dual generator fail is survivable with battery but you have limited time, so get down fast. one generator is plenty of juice for the a/c. with no generator and no battery, most of your flight surface are in damper of trail mode except both stab, but good luck landing with no flap, no aileron, no leading edge flap and no rudder. You should stabilized and eject.

Sure you're right.

Bbut what to do in case of "Out of Fuel eventuality" .... ?!?

Put bluntly don't lol.

All you can then do is eject.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses