Tips and Hints

EvilBivol-1

Since I bought your F-86F I spend all my time with him and the last time that I've spent many hours it was with the MI-8 and Huey :wub:.

Yes this aircraft is awesome, the cockpit is beautiful, 3D model perfect, and fly with this Sabre one real pleasure :beer:.

It's maybe one Open-Beta but I'm very happy to have bought this new module.

Belsimtek congratulation for this amazing creation :thumbup:.

Thanks, Skull.

I tried fighting the MiG-15 for the first time... I managed to get into 2-3 good firing positions (it was always in climb) but could not get any hits (clearly I need to re-learn leading and estimating where to lead).. eventually I disengaged and extended... shortly after ran out of fuel... and glided a fair bit and managed to land in nick of time (another 1/5km more and I wouldn't make it).

I have a question though:

How can I adjust FoV? I want to reduce it and SnapViewsDefault.lua doesn't have it... is it in dcs/mods/aircrafts/f-86f/views.lua? If so, which bit?

No longer active in DCS...

View settings for the F-86 are in the F-86 folder, yes. Possibly because it's still in beta.

I believe the maximum/minimum FOV settings are always in server.lua now.

Edited by Mar

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

FOV is actually in View.lua, located in the F-86 mod folder.

It is 85 by default, which makes it look pretty zoomed out. I've changed it to 76 (Line 29), which I believe is a good trade-off between a normal zoom level and panel visibility (single 16:10 monitor)

The file also contains eyepoint, local point, angle limits, shoulder size, 6dof limits, snapviews etc. Basicly it is server.lua and snapviews.lua in one file.

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

I thought the gun sight had a radar on it so all I had to do was put the pipper on my target, it gets a lock and I fire. I find this is not the case or at least maybe there wasn't a tone. I know the sight adjust itself automatically since it's the A-4? Am i doing somethign wrong haha. I'm trying to engage furthest when i go guns at .3nm?

It does it automatically, yes. But if you know the wingspan, it's a good routine to enter it manually in case you lose it on the radar.

I think in the real F-86 setting the manual range would override the radar setting.

For the radar to set range, the manual range setting on the throttle had to be set full counterclockwise (actually springloaded) to max range.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

According to the link in this post:http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2136038&postcount=1

I think the bombing altimeter is a bit flawed for the manual pip control bombing method.

Here is the procedure from that document:

• Approach target from the side using a 90 degree turn towards the target
  • Approach at 10, 15 or 20.000 ft according to the mode selected on the manual pip control unit (Flipping the cards).
  • Set the manual pip control from Normal to Bomb.
  • Set the sight function to either Rocket or Guns - NOT Bomb !!
  • Select dive angle on the Manual pip control unit and read the index altitude on the outer scale.
  • Set target altitude with the thin red needle on the bombing altimeter
  • The index altitude pointer is then set on the red scale to the index altitude read on the Manual pip control unit´s outer scale.

Problem is that on the DCS F-86 bombing altimeter there is no red scale, so release altitude does not account for target altitude, but will always be sea level altitude.

Since it´s hard to see the photos on the document, I´m not sure if the Bombing altimeter is the exact same mark as mentioned in the doc.

Another way the Bombing altimeter could work, would be that setting the red target altitude needle, would equaly offset the release altitude pointer i.e setting target altitude to 500 ft would increase the release pointer by 500 ft.

Other considerations regarding bombing with the F-86...

Right now we only got the 500lb bomb, this means that a A-4 sight auto bomb is not allowed

According to the documentation, bombing with the F-86 can not be expected to be very accurate, regardless what method to be used.

Hitting a tank sized target is unlikely. There is no doubt why using Napalm was prefered.

FinnJ

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

trying to get used to the HOLD the "S" for steering. can be a bit of challenge, especially trying to get the nose wheel straight again for the takeoff, (right after you made a hard turn from the taxiway onto the runway).

I assigned that to the TM Boat Switch, works like a champ... Also did the same with the F15C..

Pivot

:pilotfly:

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900K * MSI RTX 4070 * Oculus Rift S * Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 X64 Home * 64 Gb Ram * TM Warthog Combo & Saitek Pro-Rudders :joystick:

• 4 weeks later...

This may be obvious, but look through the DCS e-store page for the Sabre. There is a lot of interesting information. Recently, I had a problem. My little sim character passed out in flight. I had no idea why. I had the oxygen running...Then I read through the store page and found out that I need to adjust a differential pressure regulator, while I climb out, in order to maintain my sim character's normal vital functions. There is a ton of useful technical information covered in the e-store page. :thumbup:

Edited by mjmorrow

• 2 weeks later...

At high speeds, when you extend your speed brakes, you ought to anticipate a + 2 g, as a result of the extended speed brakes. If you are pulling out of a dive or turning hard, remember to not exceed restrictions, because you forgot to factor in the +2 g from the speed brakes. :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the right section but anyway:

I've been trying to get the bombing right using the automatic release but something just doesn't get right here. I fly up to about 10 to 15000 feet, set to bomb, select auto release, select both bombs, line up on target, press electronic cage key, press the Airbrakes and roll in.

When I get my pipper over the target I press the bomb release and stop pressing the electronic cage key.

So far so good but out of 100 times, a 100 times the bombs drop WAY to early, so I miss my target by 100's of feet. Sometimes allmost a mile!

I tried to do this manually (just eyeballing it without any systems, just a pipper) and then I get relatively close. I overshoot but I get somewhat close.

Now this is just weird: When I am just in bomb mode, I can fly at low altitude and drop a bomb allmost inside a AC bunker (which means maybe 30 feet miss at most). This is just eyeballing.

Now I ask: How can it be that whenever I follow the procedure I don't get anywhere close to target, but when I go low and just eyeball it, I can drop a bomb inside an open bunker.

I don't know what but I am missing something here. Can anyone help me with this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't know if this is the right section but anyway:

I've been trying to get the bombing right using the automatic release but something just doesn't get right here. I fly up to about 10 to 15000 feet, set to bomb, select auto release, select both bombs, line up on target, press electronic cage key, press the Airbrakes and roll in.

When I get my pipper over the target I press the bomb release and stop pressing the electronic cage key.

So far so good but out of 100 times, a 100 times the bombs drop WAY to early, so I miss my target by 100's of feet. Sometimes allmost a mile!

I tried to do this manually (just eyeballing it without any systems, just a pipper) and then I get relatively close. I overshoot but I get somewhat close.

Now this is just weird: When I am just in bomb mode, I can fly at low altitude and drop a bomb allmost inside a AC bunker (which means maybe 30 feet miss at most). This is just eyeballing.

Now I ask: How can it be that whenever I follow the procedure I don't get anywhere close to target, but when I go low and just eyeball it, I can drop a bomb inside an open bunker.

I don't know what but I am missing something here. Can anyone help me with this?

The problem with getting really close to drop your bombs is you expose yourself to AAA and you might end up in the blast radius of your own bombs.

I've practiced a lot with the auto-release and can usually get the bombs within 50 ft of the target. I try to start my attack run 4 or 5 miles from the target at 10 or 11 thousand feet with a dive angle of 15 to 20 degrees. Engine almost idle and no air brakes. My IAS at time of release is around 350 kts. Maybe your IAS is too slow making your bombs fall short.

• 3 weeks later...
The problem with getting really close to drop your bombs is you expose yourself to AAA and you might end up in the blast radius of your own bombs.

I've practiced a lot with the auto-release and can usually get the bombs within 50 ft of the target. I try to start my attack run 4 or 5 miles from the target at 10 or 11 thousand feet with a dive angle of 15 to 20 degrees. Engine almost idle and no air brakes. My IAS at time of release is around 350 kts. Maybe your IAS is too slow making your bombs fall short.

Well, my bombs either fall short or go way over the target. The closest I got was around 300m or so.

I guess I just have to practice. I thank you for your answer. I shall try your method when I get around to it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a detailed video or step by step proceedure to follow on rocket/ bomb employment, i can shoot off the GAR-8 no problem but i need a more detailed look into UG rockets and retarded bombs. Any help is appreciated. Not much longer now till we start fighting real MIGs

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.