A twin jet tanker / awacs

nessuno0505

In theese days I'd like to fly an airliner, so I've done some game in x-plane 11.

No way: VR Is worst, default airliners are too semplified, There are no extensive manuals, not to deal with the flight model. I do not ask for an airliner in DCS, but a twin jet tanker or AWACS could be the best solution to fly a medium size airliner-like Plane in a military environment. A dcs tanker 767 would be the definitive solution for my "problem" of theese days...

The KC-10 which is based on the DC-10 might just fit DCS and your needs perfectly. Plus if firefighting ever got introduced the Firefighting tanker variant would also fit in nicely.

I am sure you would get a much more enjoyable kick out of flying firefighting missions down low over a wildfire than just flying along in a plain airliner. :smilewink:

US_Navy_021107-N-2794R-002_KC-10_%27Extender%27_refuels_a_F-A-18C_%27Hornet%27.jpg

10tanker-3abqjournal.jpg

Edited by Evoman

I've suggested a twin jet cause I Remember to have read somewhere that DCS Is not modeled for more than two engines. The model you suggest Is three engines. But you get the point. A subsonic medium range "big" plane. It Is military related, It Is suited for DCS maps size, It fits military type missions both single and multiplayer. I know ED already has a defined roadmap, but maybe a 3rd party developer could take It into consideration.

Edited by nessuno0505

KC-30A comes to mind

MJPEo1.jpg

Edited by MustangSally

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

There is also the newest KC-46 tanker based on the Boeing 767 which is a twin engine. But since its is so new I am not sure of the feasibility.

There is also a AWACS variant called the E-767 but only Japan operates them.

180326-F-AB123-0001.JPG

Edited by Evoman

Yes, maybe Kc-46 is too new, but hey… what can there be so secret in a 767 (that, for instance, is all but new)? Maybe Kc-30a is more feasible? Anyway, I think that obtaining precise data of a 767 or an airbus a-330 (on which kc-30a is based) should not be so difficult… they are civil airliners after all.

Just imagine a multiplayer multicrew mission with four people in which two people fly the tanker, one operates the boom and the latter flies a refueling hornet…

I could spend all my time in DCS doing such things!

Edited by nessuno0505

I'd love an awacs with 2 people driving and one talking to the fighters.

I would also like to see some sort of AWACS aircraft in DCS. But I don't think it could be anything based on an airliner because the only AWACS the USAF operates is the Boeing E-6 Sentry which is a large 4 engine aircraft based on the 707. Which by the way NATO also operates. Hopefully the USAF replaces the E-6 with the new E-767 in the future.

But maybe there might be a better chance of a smaller and cooler Naval AWACS such as the Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye to be added to the growing number of new Naval aircraft capable of operating off aircraft carriers.

ESS_PasteBitmap01871.pnghw1-US-Navy-070619-N-0890S-036-An-E-2C-Hawkeye.jpg

Edited by Evoman

I love the idea of an E-2. Airtanker could be fun too but I just see directing fighters as more interesting.

I was searching for anything related to the E-2 Hawkeye in DCS and found the wishlist thread devoted to it. You should go show your support there also and keep it alive to get more people interested in it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151980

So is it proven that DCS can only support two engines or less, or is it a rumor, cause otherwise a C-130 would be amazing.

I am not sure how true that is. If anything that might have been the case with the old engine but that might have changed with DCS 2.5. DCS would be limiting them selves if they did not support it. Like how are they ever going to do a B-1 Lancer if DCS is not able to fully support all functions.

Plus Razbam had asked followers on their FB page a while ago what non combat airplane they would like to see and the most requested was the C-130 because of the many variants and mission possibilities. :smilewink:

Ik but we got small runways

Do AI tankers have shorter takeoff runs? Cause we already have AI KC-135 taking off from our maps...

I don't know exactly about the two engines limit, but I imagine a twin engine should be easier to develop, since all our modules have 2 engines max. It is always easier to do something already done than something brand new.

I like the e-2 idea; I'd prefer a tanker but the e-2 would be good as well (and for instance it perfectly fits with the tomcat).

Edited by nessuno0505

[quote=Evoman;362551

There is also a AWACS variant called the E-767 but only Japan operates them.

180326-F-AB123-0001.JPG

Don't forget the Italians also bought KC767's.

070305-F-1287F-001.JPG

150806-F-ZZ999-013.jpg

Rumor has it they put an espresso machine in the galley.

BTW they guy flying the BUFF in that top picture had the desk right next to me when it was taken.

KC-135/10/30/46 would be neat.

gets over the fact that the tanker AI is extremely inflexible really nicely.

granted you'd have to do a survey to make sure that people would actually really fly the things online, which might be a bit of a stretch.

granted there's a whole community out there of civil guys and it seems to me like that would be watching paint dry simulator but to each their own etc.

Edited by Cik

A E-2 could work like the GCI on the blue flag server, your not invulnerable, awacs works as a top down view (F10 map) where bandits pop up and you can guide teammates to the targets. And if a bandit comes after you, you gotta run and try and survive. I would recommend an E-1 tracer since it’s older and less things might be classified and it was used in Vietnam.

I was inverted B)

A E-2 could work like the GCI on the blue flag server, your not invulnerable, awacs works as a top down view (F10 map) where bandits pop up and you can guide teammates to the targets. And if a bandit comes after you, you gotta run and try and survive. I would recommend an E-1 tracer since it’s older and less things might be classified and it was used in Vietnam.

I agree that the AWACS E-1 Tracer variant would be far more feasible to replicate because its systems are obsolete and declassified. Plus the whole line of these Grumman airplanes would also be very useful in DCS such as the cargo variant designated E-1 Tracer and C-1 Trader and my favorite the S-T2 Tracker which is a firefighting variant.

grumman_e1b_tracer_usn147212_kp.jpgpixel.gif

Edited by Evoman