How to deal with wake turbulence

Yurgon

I like to set my weather to be somewhat interesting, with natural turbulence at more than 10 (0.1* feet in the ME, whatever that might be in kts or m/s). With that setting, I might get a very little bit of a bumpy ride, but that's completely different from the new wake turbulence effect that tosses aircraft around.

In MP, with a 20 second delay between aircraft on the same runway, wake turbulence currently has a fairly strong and severe effect, where flight safety is not guaranteed. It feels a lot like I imagine light props would experience the wake turbulence of an airliner.

My comment was directed towards Emmy, because you can do some crazy settings with he weather one as well, if you crank it up.

[ATTACH]216088[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]216089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]216090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]216091[/ATTACH]

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

My comment was directed towards Emmy, because you can do some crazy settings with he weather one as well, if you crank it up.

Sure. I just think Emmy probably knows the difference between weather and wake turbulence is what I was trying (and failing, obviously) to convey. ;)

Are you sure you are not talking about normal turbulence from the weather ? that can be quite severe as well

I’m positive I’m not talking about Wx turbulence.

This was a distinct rolling tendency and not just a “bumpy ride”

The two manifest themselves quite differently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I fly on the same server as Emmy, and when I'm -2 in the Hawg with a 10 or 20 second delay I feel the wake turbulence and it is quite a surprise. It is even sportier in the Hornet, on several occasions I thought I was going to have a wing strike. :D

As an example on my takeoff here in the Hornet:

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 4 months later...

Just for the record. try SP A10-C Insta mission - Free Flight, (no weather), and formate on your AI wingman. crossing his rear quarter makes your wing dip at least 30 to 45 degrees if you are within a couple of aircraft lengths. This seems to be a bit extreme IMO.

With the wake turbulence effect now modeled in DCS, I'm wondering how combat aircraft, and specifically the A-10, deal with this in real life (well... how their pilots deal with it, obviously ;)).

I'm specifically interested in takeoffs and landings.

Being a sim pilot, I have 0 frame of reference in regards to the real world. In DCS, the effect is currently fairly pronounced, to the point that hitting the wake turbulence of another A-10 during takeoff or landing is borderline suicidal.

Now even if DCS exaggerated the effect (again, I don't know if it does), the problem surely exists in the real world as well.

How do pilots deal with it? Are there procedures for different types of takeoff (element takeoff, time-separated takeoff, 4-ship takeoff) to alleviate the issue? I'm thinking lateral separation, time separation, or different rotation speeds might all be valid ways to reduce the likelihood of trailing aircraft getting into dangerous turbulence on takeoff.

As for landing, the same ideas come to mind, like lateral separation, time separation, altitude separation, touchdown point separation.

I would appreciate any ideas and hints for real world operations, whether it's "Yeah, there's this 200 page document" (*) or "The wingman just has to deal with it" or anything in between. ;)

(*) Remember rule 1.16; don't share or link or even name documents newer than 1980. If in doubt, I'll take a PM.

Being late to the game, this might already be out of your interest Yurgon. But reading some strange replys, this might help some others too.

Wake turbulence =/= engine exhaust thrust.

Wake turbulence is a result of lift, but read, what the faa has to say about this.

Turbulences caused by e.g. wind and/or orology is a different case.

And weather influences wake turbulences.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap7_section_3.html

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3