Carrier comms - Mini Updates

oldcrusty

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like it still using the comms menu that's disappointing

Please stop complaining when there is clearly progress being made and new good stuff added. Also it is still work in progress so maybe the comms menu will be overhauled in the not too distant future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mini-updates usually showcase soon-to-be upcoming features. By the looks of it, baring any unknown bugs, maybe by the end of June...

ATC update shown in the newest video is tied to the paid carrier module, I doubt that one is ready in June. Stennis won‘t have the new ATC.

ATC update shown in the newest video is tied to the paid carrier module, I doubt that one is ready in June. Stennis won‘t have the new ATC.
I am kind of surprised. I thought Nineline and Wags mentioned in Interviews and statements that the comm overhaul would come for free. As long as there is no official statement I still hope that the corresponding reddit post (about hiding the new comm system behind another paywall) ist just nonsense.

If it would be true, what comes next? A DLC for each airfield, that will get the updated ATC? Players have to have all the Airfield DLCs that the server uses in order to play online?

Come on ED this is rediculous.

Could some ED official please clarify the planned procedure?

• ED Team

At no point has it ever been said that the Nimitz-class aircraft module would be free.

We aren't just selling new comms, we are selling a fully functional carrier experience, from new comms, an incredibly detailed and animated carrier, animated deck crew, crash barriers, control of the carrier, and the ability to man positions such as LSO or the air boss station. The amount of time, effort, and capital going into this is massive, and it will be the most immersive and complete carrier environment available for a game or even a professional training tool. I would expect that someone could enjoy just being in control of the carrier, launching AI and/or Players on missions, in defense or offence... this is not just a few new sound files.

Of course, on the technical side, there will be so many network inconsistencies between module owners and non-owners of the carrier that it would cause havoc and look terrible (particuarly deck crew and the new comms), as such making it available to non-owners in MP makes no sense. Other carriers will be available to non-owners still, and many will be happy with the new, free carrier that was added just last year along side the Hornet. This module iis for those that want to take carrier life to the next level.

Because the core software of DCS World is free, we will continue to make enhanced module content available for purchase.

Thanks

Edited by Wags

Well I don‘t know about that. Looking into the future I don‘t think it‘s a good idea to hide realistic carrier ATC behind a paywall. Animated deck crew? I understand. New carrier textures/model? Yes, makes sense. LSO position, controlling the carrier yourself? Sure, go ahead.

But ATC comms?? Oh boy. That should really be standard for the Stennis too as a platform update, at least for those that bought the Hornet.

• ED Team

Out of all you have listed, the comms are probably the most amount of time and money to record, create and make work dynamically. This is for the ultimate carrier experience, its a module in itself, we have to balance what we can do for free and what we can't.

This is a Carrier module, it will complement the Hornet, but will also be viable for someone on their own, think about launching AI aircraft on missions, or launching other players. Defending your carrier, sending aircraft on missions... etc. This was never meant to be a Hornet feature, we want a Carrier Module.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Please stop complaining when there is clearly progress being made and new good stuff added. Also it is still work in progress so maybe the comms menu will be overhauled in the not too distant future.

simple fact really

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Out of all you have listed, the comms are probably the most amount of time and money to record, create and make work dynamically. This is for the ultimate carrier experience, its a module in itself, we have to balance what we can do for free and what we can't.

This is a Carrier module, it will complement the Hornet, but will also be viable for someone on their own, think about launching AI aircraft on missions, or launching other players. Defending your carrier, sending aircraft on missions... etc. This was never meant to be a Hornet feature, we want a Carrier Module.

I dont have a problem with paying however from the test video it sounds like your using a phrase Generator making the call a bit er....well robotic

The current menu seems to be problematical for a number of your player base

I cant see the menu in a large 4 k Monitor and I know that some VR users struggle

Edited by chaser

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That‘s fair, I see your argument about time and money. Still, I think that proper ATC should just be part of the base game, especially as it is very important to the Hornet ecosystem.

Anyhow, good luck with the further development of the module.

• ED Team
I dont have a problem with paying however from the test video it sounds like your using a phrase Generator making the call a bit er....well robotic

You have to understand, in order to have everything that would be said in a dynamic way, that would happen in a carrier landing, it has to be recorded in parts. If you tried to record full sentences for every possible tail number and circumstance, you would have an install requiring a 2TB drive. So every number has to be recorded as its said at the start of a sentence, the middile of a sentence, or the end of a sentence. There is no way around it, and honestly, we feel it sounds really good. The fact that most roles are real life people from the US Navy, and not voice actors.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
That‘s fair, I see your argument about time and money. Still, I think that proper ATC should just be part of the base game, especially as it is very important to the Hornet ecosystem.

Anyhow, good luck with the further development of the module.

Well, this isn't full ATC, this is the Nimitz Class carrier. Full ATC is an even bigger endeavour, and while I have no idea how that will be implemented, you cant have free add-ons without some paid ones, this isn't a 30-year-old modded game we are dealing with here, we need to do enough to keep the lights on.

64Sig.png

At no point has it ever been said that the Nimitz-class aircraft module would be free.

We aren't just selling new comms, we are selling a fully functional carrier experience, from new comms, an incredibly detailed and animated carrier, animated deck crew, crash barriers, control of the carrier, and the ability to man positions such as LSO or the air boss station. The amount of time, effort, and capital going into this is massive, and it will be the most immersive and complete carrier environment available for a game or even a professional training tool. I would expect that someone could enjoy just being in control of the carrier, launching AI and/or Players on missions, in defense or offence... this is not just a few new sound files.

Of course, on the technical side, there will be so many network inconsistencies between module owners and non-owners of the carrier that it would cause havoc and look terrible (particuarly deck crew and the new comms), as such making it available to non-owners in MP makes no sense. Other carriers will be available to non-owners still, and many will be happy with the new, free carrier that was added just last year, this is for those that want to take carrier life to a new level.

Thanks

Can F/A18C's ACLS function be used only by paying carriers? Or is it possible to use all the functions of F/A18C without any obstacles, whether or not it is purchased?

Now this is more interesting.

So basically dynamic tasking while in the middle of the mission will be available with the module?