Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

The audio strap in the Rift s is just not good at all.

I would strongly encourage anyone looking to get a Rift S to either get some good quality earbuds or headphones that will fit with the Rift S. I can not imagine anyone being satisfied with the stock audio straps.

I myself actually prefer earbuds, I got the Klipsch R6 II earbuds and they sound fantastic with the Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I gave up on the Rift S, boxed it up, requested the return label from Amazon, and fired up the Vive Pro. After a few minutes I said, "I have to make this work." Reinstalled the software from scratch, what do you know, it worked! Plaid a few games hopped into DCS. The blacks aren't anywhere near as good as the Vive, but it is much more comfortable for me. I took a break for an hour, and now the Rift won't work again. Unplugged both USB and the DP cable, still nothing. WTF.

Forgot to tell.

I tried it in the F14. Minor improvements in the cockpit IMO. Most indicators with small text are still unreadable. Looking out the canopy though, felt definitely sharper.

Forgot to tell.

I tried it in the F14. Minor improvements in the cockpit IMO. Most indicators with small text are still unreadable. Looking out the canopy though, felt definitely sharper.

are you using this? The only way I fly the Turkey...

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304383/

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

So I gave up on the Rift S, boxed it up, requested the return label from Amazon, and fired up the Vive Pro. After a few minutes I said, "I have to make this work." Reinstalled the software from scratch, what do you know, it worked! Plaid a few games hopped into DCS. The blacks aren't anywhere near as good as the Vive, but it is much more comfortable for me. I took a break for an hour, and now the Rift won't work again. Unplugged both USB and the DP cable, still nothing. WTF.

Can you post further info about your system specs? you're plugging into the MB USB ports on the back? or a PCIe addon card? My system specs noted in my signature. I only had an issue with the HMD before I did the firmware update. I know you mentioned you did the update.

As of now, I still get a periodic "white static" flash, but the "S" is sailing along. I know there are plenty of folks here who want to help you. We can get through this! ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Mine finally gave up the ghost, it is officially dead now.

What a saga this has been.

Glad I bought it through Amazon Prime.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can you post further info about your system specs? you're plugging into the MB USB ports on the back? or a PCIe addon card? My system specs noted in my signature. I only had an issue with the HMD before I did the firmware update. I know you mentioned you did the update.

As of now, I still get a periodic "white static" flash, but the "S" is sailing along. I know there are plenty of folks here who want to help you. We can get through this! ;)

Restart oculus service and or restart computer

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Mine finally gave up the ghost, it is officially dead now.

What a saga this has been.

Glad I bought it through Amazon Prime.

ah man, sorry to hear that Don.

It just went poof? just wouldn't display anymore? totally s*cks! I know you've fought this beast for quite awhile. :cry:

Like you, I bought mine via Amazon too... I flew for about 90 minutes today, and had 4 white flash static thingy's.

Man, not good....

Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

i9-9900k, RTX 2080, 32gigs of ram, two 1tb nvme drives. Oculus plugged into the back of my MSI MEG Godlike motherboard. I restarted my computer a few times, repaired Oculus, restarted a few times, reseated USB & DP a few times, and now it's working again.

Quick side note, the blacks are no where near as good as the vive pro, but you can see an improvement in the sub pixels. The image isn't any sharper at all, but it "feels" better to me than the vive pro. Even my giant head fits better with the Rift S than the vive pro.

Haven't had this hard of a time even with the dk1 or dk2.

Edited by Sephroth

Think I may return mine. In addition to all the usual issues, the ratchet that holds it in place forward and back keeps letting go. I do mash it pretty tight to my face to try and maximize FOV, but I don’t see longevity in its future.

Disappointing... Maybe the Reverb...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Well, the front part is not intended to be mashed against your face as tightly as possible, so there's that.

Just trying out a Rift S (rented from local company) after having the CV1 for a few years and I second all your points made above. Will be staying with my CV1 for now. IPD of 60.

Res increase is 'OK' but TBH I think with the 50% VR improvement coming for DCS allowing me to run a slghtly higher PD that will be negated. So little more Res and bit less SDE is nice, but not another NZ$700 nice.

I can understand the rest of complaints, but theres no way CV1 with even maxed out PD will get close to Rift S. Beyond some point, PD just doesn't improve anything.

Are you sure you shouldnt wear glasses in VR? That's not a jab, Oculus requires them if you're short sighted.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'm surprised by the number of issues people are having. I didn't expect that from an oculus launch.

What exact percentage of users have issues? I am really keen to find out what you are surprised by.

Well, the front part is not intended to be mashed against your face as tightly as possible, so there's that.

I can understand the rest of complaints, but theres no way CV1 with even maxed out PD will get close to Rift S. Beyond some point, PD just doesn't improve anything.

Are you sure you shouldnt wear glasses in VR? That's not a jab, Oculus requires them if you're short sighted.

Yeah regarding the headstrap I just nip it up so the headset doesn't move and it is much more comfortable now.

@some1 yep I understand and am totally going to just use the Rift S for a week and then put the CV1 back on to compare after a good amount of use. Just had a good 3 hour session flying the F-14 and after upping the PD to 1.5 from 1.4 it is looking nicer I have to admit. Still managed a solid 40fps the whole time which is nice, will try 1.6 next. As I said there are benefits over the CV1...just don't seem NZ$700 benefits atm.

I am not for or against one headset or the other I just want the one with best performance.

I also have a pair of sennheiser headphones with small cups that fits perfectly over/beneath the headstrap so that was a win - sound was MUCH better and actually they are not a pain to use at all - just coil the wire up and secure to the top headstrap, and when you take them off just move them forward over the body of the unit which holds them in place and just remove the headset like normal. No faffing with loose headphones or anything.

Regarding glassses I am actually mildly longsighted and have tried both CV1 with prescription inserts (which I don't use as it is in same focus by just moving the HS down a bit) and also the Rift S both wearing and not wearing my glasses - the difference is minimal and taken into account with my assessment.

One big plus for the Rift S is wearing glasses is massively easier as you can just slide it fwd, put the headset over your glasses then slide it right back again - so bonus points there. But yea as I mentioned the benefit of me wearing my glasses in the Rift S is pretty marginal being slightly sharper I would say.

So yeah - will see how I feel after a week and going back to my CV1.

Oh and I have also had the frequent white static flashes....but believe Oculus have a solution for that which they will be releasing soon?

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh and I have also had the frequent white static flashes....but believe Oculus have a solution for that which they will be releasing soon?

Hope so, but the stated that they're still working on it and it was not in the latest software update that was a few days ago.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Well, it’s finally back in stock for collection on Monday.

So despite all the issues, I’ve jumped and ordered it.

While the Revibe looks amazing for the clarity, everything else about the headset is subpar regarding the trackers and controllers. The Index, although looking amazing is realistically out of my price range, so I figured this is the best choice.

I really really want better clarity while flying, so I can finally go VR full time in DCS.

I just hope with all the issues, I don’t come to regret the choice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

ah man, sorry to hear that Don.

It just went poof? just wouldn't display anymore? totally s*cks! I know you've fought this beast for quite awhile. :cry:

Like you, I bought mine via Amazon too... I flew for about 90 minutes today, and had 4 white flash static thingy's.

Man, not good....

At first it was showing warnings that it was not plugged into USB 3, then the display port was not connected, then I need to restart Oculus, just going crazy. This morning it is totally dead, orange light in headset and Oculus Home shows it not connected. Unplugged all cables including the cable plugged into headset, plugged all back in and still the same. Shows no device connected in Home.

Going to return to Amazon Prime for replacement, hopefully I will get a working device this time. If it has issues I may throw up my hands and give up on it. Had been working with Support on black screen issue, but man the wait time between correspondence back from them is brutal.

I am very disappointed as I was loving the Rift S image clarity. Going to be tough to go back to using my CV1 whilst I wait for replacement.

Don B

At first it was showing warnings that it was not plugged into USB 3, then the display port was not connected, then I need to restart Oculus, just going crazy. This morning it is totally dead, orange light in headset and Oculus Home shows it not connected. Unplugged all cables including the cable plugged into headset, plugged all back in and still the same. Shows no device connected in Home.

Going to return to Amazon Prime for replacement, hopefully I will get a working device this time. If it has issues I may throw up my hands and give up on it. Had been working with Support on black screen issue, but man the wait time between correspondence back from them is brutal.

I am very disappointed as I was loving the Rift S image clarity. Going to be tough to go back to using my CV1 whilst I wait for replacement.

Damn sorry to hear that mate, BUT on bright side, since the headset actually went pop after only a very short time, i guess it would point towards a faulty headset more than anything, as the other issues were thought to be software.

Hopefully you’ll have no issues with the next one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Damn sorry to hear that mate, BUT on bright side, since the headset actually went pop after only a very short time, i guess it would point towards a faulty headset more than anything, as the other issues were thought to be software.

Hopefully you’ll have no issues with the next one.

Yeah I would certainly think so, thanks. I do hope my replacement has zero issues.

Amazon showing delivery between June 18th and July 2nd so I am going to have a bit of a wait for sure.

Don B

Yeah I would certainly think so, thanks. I do hope my replacement has zero issues.

Amazon showing delivery between June 18th and July 2nd so I am going to have a bit of a wait for sure.

Go for a full refund, Argos is getting them in stock from Monday mate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you guys did latest Oculus Home update? Together with Oculus drivers and firmware. Fixed my black screen issue I had.

Yes I grabbed that as soon as it was available.

Don B

I bought a set of Koss Porta Pro headsets and adjusted them for VR use.

Cut the headband sliders to separate the L and R speakers.

Bend the steel headband into a clamp.

Cover with heatshrink and put some foam on the inside of the speaker body.

The Display/USB cable hook on the left side of the halo must be removed and the cable must be secured with a tie, or something.

Cut the headphone chords and solder them again to avoid having loose cables. Allow for some slack as you want to be able to move the VR display in and out, and the headphones back and forth a little.

0E27E0D6-1586-4A87-8836-7C6344DC12F4.thumb.jpeg.bb2c1ce168fb27a85f4b9581fe9e9f73.jpeg

AF138C9D-C51D-43DB-A430-193508C48BC6.jpeg.05778abcaabc49a7d1cae388dbcdd390.jpeg

5AADEA3D-D88A-4A29-A37C-53BD2013CA3F.jpeg.7209fcd44d3b726b8c1546227f3e340c.jpeg

07E71DF4-1267-4E91-AD40-955087340F8C.thumb.jpeg.594699aafdf775ce7bad5620f8c4a90d.jpeg