Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Support got back to me regarding the dropouts some of us have been experiencing. Here is the first suggestion I received today:

Same canned response they've been giving for days, and that they have up on their site, unfortunately. I'm really hoping it's just a firmware fix.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only had 5 minutes for a quick play at lunchtime, coming from a PSVR all I can say is WOW.

More detailed review to come later.

... although I do appear to be suffering from the crackling audio that quite a few others are experiencing as well.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

When I put on my Rift S yesterday, I had the 3 dots on the screen. Just black background.

Unplugging USB / DP and rebooting didnt help... :(

Reinstalled Rift S software (2nd time this week... I miss my old Internet Connection...)

Then I had 3 dots with the grid background. At least tracking of my view was back... :music_whistling:

Reinstalling / Updating to the newest NVIDIA Driver did the trick. Still had issues with controller tracking, but I think recalibrating tonight will fix that :joystick:

I hope they can improve the stability...

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Dropped the hammer. Now, best question of the day: can the CV1 lenses inserts fit on the Rift S? Being blind as a bat here and I have prescription lenses for mine...think they will fit?

Mine didn't work, even when I sawed the ears off the lense, and blue-tacked them in place. They fitted but were blurry ... but my glasses fit, although they keep getting jammed.

On my first two days with the Rift S I didn`t see those white flashes while playing DCS. Yesterday I saw them about 4-5 times in one hour flying.

Could someone be so kind to point me to a thread, maybe in the Oculus forums, where this problem is addressed?

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

On my first two days with the Rift S I didn`t see those white flashes while playing DCS. Yesterday I saw them about 4-5 times in one hour flying.

Could someone be so kind to point me to a thread, maybe in the Oculus forums, where this problem is addressed?

Many discussions everywhere about this...

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76168/white-static-flashes-in-rift-s

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Thanks, you are right, there are lots of discussions about it, so the problem seems to be very prominent. In one of the threads about that problem the Oculus staff writes:

... we ask for your patience as we work on firmware improvements that will be ready shortly after launch.

Maybe an firmware update will resolve the problem.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

In addition to the random white flashes, I am also seeing the issue where if I close Oculus Home and then later on relaunch it, I may or may not get a display to show up inside the headset. Sound always works but it seems like it isn't always able to initialize the video.

I have tried stopping and restarting the Oculus Service (via OTT) and to date, that hasn't worked for me. The only solution was a full reboot. I'm going to do some more checking on this tonight.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

In addition to the random white flashes, I am also seeing the issue where if I close Oculus Home and then later on relaunch it, I may or may not get a display to show up inside the headset. Sound always works but it seems like it isn't always able to initialize the video.

I have tried stopping and restarting the Oculus Service (via OTT) and to date, that hasn't worked for me. The only solution was a full reboot. I'm going to do some more checking on this tonight.

Madmatt

Same issue as mine.

Corresponding with Oculus Support now but the wait time between response back from them is brutal.

I could easily return my for replacement with Amazon Prime, but if it is a firmware issue may just end up with another unit with same problem.

Guess I will wait on support to get back to me again and see if a firmware update is coming soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same issue as mine.

Corresponding with Oculus Support now but the wait time between response back from them is brutal.

I could easily return my for replacement with Amazon Prime, but if it is a firmware issue may just end up with another unit with same problem.

Guess I will wait on support to get back to me again and see if a firmware update is coming soon.

Really, response times for an item out just a week are brutal? Jeez man, what do you expect, miracles?

They have stated that a firmware update is in the pipeline, and this is just days after the release. Please note that the software is Beta too, so it might be prudent to exercise a little patience and not get too wound up about teething troubles that were always on the cards!

Really, response times for an item out just a week are brutal? Jeez man, what do you expect, miracles?

They have stated that a firmware update is in the pipeline, and this is just days after the release. Please note that the software is Beta too, so it might be prudent to exercise a little patience and not get too wound up about teething troubles that were always on the cards!

I can understand the long wait I had for their initial response to the support ticket I sent in, I was very patient on it, but once dialogue has begun I would hope response time would be a little faster.

Plus having to change Touch controller batteries out once a week is a little tough when I don't even use them all that much.

I am a big Oculus fan and supporter, but yeah I am getting a little aggravated now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

We're all a little irked by the problems. To save battery life, why not just remove them when the touch controllers are not in use?

Imagine the number of inquiries they are getting given the fact that any number of us are having issues. Don't expect miracles is all I am saying.

It'll get better, their sales will depend on that.

IPlus having to change Touch controller batteries out once a week is a little tough when I don't even use them all that much.

I've had mine for 6 days and have played pretty much everyday and haven't gotten any warning about the batteries just yet. Will be interesting to see how long they last with normal brand name batteries, not the ones the controllers came with. We have no idea how long they sat on a shelf before they got boxed up. It's even possible that yours weren't fully charged when you installed yours.

I think we need to be paying attention to battery life more closely once the included batteries expire and new fresh ones are put in.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

I've had luck with Settings->Beta->Restart Oculus in Home to solve this without a reboot.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I've had luck with Settings->Beta->Restart Oculus in Home to solve this without a reboot.

That is what I do - in my case I have to do it three times, the image does not display in the headset until after the third restart of the Oculus service.

Don B

Hmm...I'll have to try that. I have to unplug/replug the Display port at the PC end, then it works beautifully for the whole day with no glitches at all.:thumbup:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Brilliant! Restarting Oculus woke it up. I feel happier doing it this way rather than re-plugging )

Cheers for the heads up Joey :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Support got back to me regarding the dropouts some of us have been experiencing. Here is the first suggestion I received today:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Oculus Support regarding your display issue, I'm happy to assist.

I have some troubleshooting steps for you to try as they may resolve this issue:

1. Disconnect and Reconnect your Rift S from your computer. To do this:

• Unplug the USB cable from your computer

• Unplug the mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable from your computer

• Wait 10 seconds

• Re-plug your USB cable into your computer.

• Wait 10 seconds.

• Re-plug your mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable into your computer.

2. Unplug and Replug your Rift S headset. To do this:

• Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.

• Unplug the cable from the headset.

• Wait 5 seconds.

• Insert the cable back into your headset.

• Insert the facial interface back into your headset.

3. Restart your Oculus Service. To do this:

• Open the Oculus app on your computer.

• Click Settings on the left side of the app.

• Click Beta at the top of the settings options.

• Click Restart Oculus.

Additionally, we offer phone-support. If you would like phone-support, please provide the following information:

• Your phone number.

• Your current time-zone.

• A date and 2-hour window when we can call you.

Let me know how you would like to proceed, and if you have any questions for me.

Warm regards,

Alex

Oculus Support

A quick, and hopefully effective response. I'll let you know how it affects the issue.

That looks like a suspiciously long winded way of saying (Irish accent): 'Have you tried turning it off and on again?'

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Got mine, got the flash, got the black. Rearranged my ports/restarted, unplugged DP etc. Who knows what let it come back to life.

68 IPD. It is clear for sure. As others noted.. changing the ipd setting in rift settings seems to have zero effect on anything. It was not 100% comfortable for the brain with my 68 ipd.. I think it is because it is clear near the center but with wide eyes you can see quite a bit of distortion.

I think I will get used to it and the feeling will go away. Looks like less FOV to me. Halo strap is warmer and doesnt give the best fit for a large head where the CV1 would tilt if required.

I hope the tightening thing lasts as I think with my head size that I am having to do it up tighter than most to get it secure.

I’m hoping someone will come out with a comfortable much thinner foam as when I push in the S to my face there is an extra few degrees fov (maybe equivalent to the cv1?) without any comfort issues

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I emailed VR Cover today and asked if they had any info about new Rift-S products coming soon. Hoping for a positive response.

Since you can remove the Facial Interface in the Rift-S, I did that as a test. I did gain a few extra degrees of FOV but it wasn't exactly comfy. Still, I was able to continue to use the headset. Kinda interesting to see what may be in store for us with aftermarket covers and interfaces.

3 years ago when all this with CV1 starts I was complaining about the fact they use dual display vs single full RGB 2K display. Same I was even debating on OSVR when they switch to 1.4 with just copy CV1 dual display design.

My point then was using a single display because it is standard in the mobile phones industry and it was much cheaper because of the quantity they producing it for wide usage.

Today they are using similar mistake. Obviously old CV1 start to be too expensive for production and didn't offer anything new. Rift S come more as the need to reduce the price of production and make it profitable again. And the results are astonishing.

Today we got a product with future. The reasonable price which will stabilize in the future after the hype train went on around 300$. The price which will be more than competitive and one of the best price-performance ratio. In the same time not too expensive to produce what will bring constant profit to the company that in the end guaranteed to stay on the market. All this about Rift S make it a great product, but ...

Again me with that, but. Point is 2560x1440 full RGB with 16/9 AR displays are history. Today's mobile phones go much wider so they are today with 19/9 AR some even higher. So this leads us to the displays with 3040x1440 what will be 18% in widened what in VR translates to wider FOV.

So with such wider display who is already standard on market and it is not much more expensive than old 16/9 displays and the same lens but cut just few mm wider and simple adaptation of the parts We will have Rift S with same clarity and picture quality but with 125 FOV and all this will not increase production cost not more than 15 to 20 $ per unit. Even if they increase the price for that amount such Rift S will be even more attractive than today. Such Wider Rift S will wipe out all competition because will offer more, good clarity, low hardware demand, and additional FOV what will increase immersion and in the end, VR is measuring on that combined technical aspect which together provides you better immersion.

What do you think about it? I'm I right again? Are Oculus engineers constantly few years behind not using all possibilities offered by available technological solutions which are in the same time affordable what is most important in all of this how to consumers in the same time to the shareholders of the company.

My guess is that the screen is not the FOV limiting factor. The lenses are. Keep in mind that Rift S is reusing the system from Oculus Go, and changing the screen would require them to redesign all of it. That's not cheap, and cost of the screen is just a fraction of price.

I'm not even sure if single ultrawide screen is technically feasible for VR. Both pimax and index will offer better FOV but they use two canted screens to achieve that, not a single flat screen. And canted screens come with another set of compatibility issues, just look at the other thread.

Engineering in real world is mostly about doing things on time and in budget, not about using all possibilities offered by available technological solutions, even those which may seem affordable. And while Rift S turned out to be better than people initially expected, this is still a low price, budget limited product.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Played for about 20 minutes tonite...had the CV1 since release day, this is an amazing step up in resolution with no performance penalty. Did two case I recoveries with an (OK) and an OK from Airboss. Can easily make out the ball.

Unfortunately, I have no sound out of the headset. Seems there might be a windows issue or I’m just completely an idiot, but 2 hours and I can’t get sound through it.

My guess is that the screen is not the FOV limiting factor. The lenses are. Keep in mind that Rift S is reusing the system from Oculus Go, and changing the screen would require them to redesign all of it. That's not cheap, and cost of the screen is just a fraction of price.

I'm not even sure if single ultrawide screen is technically feasible for VR. Both pimax and index will offer better FOV but they use two canted screens to achieve that, not a single flat screen. And canted screens come with another set of compatibility issues, just look at the other thread.

Engineering in real world is mostly about doing things on time and in budget, not about using all possibilities offered by available technological solutions, even those which may seem affordable. And while Rift S turned out to be better than people initially expected, this is still a low price, budget limited product.

I also think it's a matter of lenses. Also, don't underestimate the development time. They could had developed the lenses when the new display not are available, so redesign it would be a big expanse in R&D money and time.

Engineering in the real world is an hard work. Engineering only with words, is a much simpler task!