Spitfire first take-off; first "landing" observations

Well I don't know , I keep testing both and my takeoffs in 1.56 are smooth as they can be, in 2.0 I am all over the place. I have checked to make sure my controllers are setup the same as well, perhaps it is the elevation difference causing me grief...I am comparing the instant action takeoff in both.

Take off assistance turned off in both.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't know , I keep testing both and my takeoffs in 1.56 are smooth as they can be, in 2.0 I am all over the place. I have checked to make sure my controllers are setup the same as well, perhaps it is the elevation difference causing me grief...I am comparing the instant action takeoff in both.

Take off assistance turned off in both.

What is the altitude of the aerodrome you're operating from ? What is the temperature and QNH for the mission ?

It can be due to density altitude, or a bug too...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

What is the altitude of the aerodrome you're operating from ? What is the temperature and QNH for the mission ?

It can be due to density altitude, or a bug too...

Not sure how to check, whatever is in the instant action take off mission.

I feel like I am having to learn how to take off and land all over again, whereas in 1.5 I do very well...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just took the Spit out for a quick jaunt around some canyons on what I think is the third flight I've ever had (been busy), and honestly it's really easy to land.

From a military break, get down and position yourself level a few inches above the runway at around 90 mph and it'll just gently drop into a solid straight three point landing.

No hassle. Much easier than the 109.

• 2 weeks later...

A real handfull to fly

The German planes are so much easier to fly and I have no issues taking off or landing in either the BF 109 or the FW 190. The Spitfire is very challenging to takeoff or land. I'm no fan of the Spitfire's differential braking system. It takes a lot of concentration and energy to move around on the ground.

This aircraft is super sensitive and you need to be extra precise and gentle with it, I guess due to its large control surfaces.

Edited by fasteddie1

Watch DD_Fenrirs Video at Post 226. This Video is one out of about ten that helped me a lot to understand what I have to do. Not saying, I ever reached his level :)

He performes three beautiful Take Offs and Touch Downs. The Control Indicator is ON so you can also see what he does with rudder and stick.

If you ask HOW to control the Pitch Trim? I tried two different ways: I put Trim Controls on two analog Axes (Rotarys on my X55 Throttle) and on a 4-Way-Hat on the Stick (as in A-10).

Both of them didn't made me 100 % happy. Potentiometers on the Throttle seams to be some jittery, 4-Way-Hat doesn't show where I am.

During Take Off I do nothing with Trim because there are neither hands nor feet free to do anything :)

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Hey, quick question,

How do you guys use the pitch trim during the take off?

Cheers

I set it to dead centre. Works for me, but you need to push on the stick just a little bit when the aircraft takes off to prevent stall. Then I usually add a shitload of pitch up, because the aircraft becomes very nose heavy when it gets some speed.

I enjoy the FM, its pretty great. I just wish it was a little bit faster. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 2 months later...

My first attempt was YIKES.

It has been a week now and It's forever Love.

The old retired Truck and Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic in me just Loves the vintage iron. I look at the guages and panels and moving parts and I have repaired similar on other machines and it just feels like home.

The fact that understanding the engine, supercharger, cooling systems, governors and all that stuff coupled with the fact that you MUST actually manage those systems constantly is amazing.

I can't imagine a morning when I don't put on my Spitfire.

There is some life saving advice in this thread. Thanks folks. :thumbup:

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

After 10 years wringing the neck of my X 52, I decided to splash out on a set of pedals and try them out on the Spitfire Mk IX.

OMG, what a difference they made.

After 130 landings with a twist grip, I now found I couldn't get off the ground any more. :helpsmilie:

After dangling off the chair with nothing to do all this time, my legs wouldn't work. I'm back to square one, but after about 20 crashes, I finally got into the air and this is that momentous occasion. :):)

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Congratulation! May I suggest to OC your processor ? It's a "K" version so on the stock cooling you could easy get it to 4,4GHz witch make a huge difference in performance ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

After 130 landings with a twist grip, I now found I couldn't get off the ground any more. :helpsmilie:

I can't recognize your problem :)

Your video shows a remarkable circuit - much better than my best I ever managed.

But I remember my first steps with the Spitfire, just taxi ("taxi" is another word for "try to get off the meadows back to the concrete").

The next day after this first trials I've had heavy aching muscels in my ass cheek (just one side).

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

"Taxi" is what you shout when you need a lift back to the base after you destroyed another fine peice of machinery.

Your video shows a remarkable circuit - much better than my best I ever managed.

But I remember my first steps with the Spitfire, just taxi ("taxi" is another word for "try to get off the meadows back to the concrete").

The next day after this first trials I've had heavy aching muscels in my ass cheek (just one side).

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Congratulation! May I suggest to OC your processor ? It's a "K" version so on the stock cooling you could easy get it to 4,4GHz witch make a huge difference in performance ;)

I dabbled in 4.4, but for video processing and with 7 fans in the case, the cpu was at 82 C, near the shut down point. An extra cpu fan has brought that down, but I now keep it at 3.8 for safety.

I regularly see under 20fps in FSX, so the 50 or so you see here in DCS, I'm Happy with.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I have made a, heavy pedal use, mission, using the Gazelle, so that I can get the hang of these things, which has given me a beautifully toned right buttock.

I will now dig the Huey out, so I can get the left one to match.

• 4 weeks later...
First take-off?

I know you're all thinking it. "I'm glad it's not just me".

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• 3 weeks later...

my first take off was pitiful: a crush.

I started as i was used with the p51D and i was wrong :music_whistling:

The bird is really suscettible on the stick pulls, and it is faster, everything happens really faster on it (compared to p51). The tail gets up in like few seconds...

First landing was incredibly smooth and lucky (REALLY lucky!), adding some wind lead me to a serie of tedious disasters... i am still struggling on this!

The plane behave strangerly while being trimmed, by this i mean that applying the trim the bird is having a crazy yaw reaction, seems unreal.

Over the 200 mph it is a joy, an agile sparrow that seems to anticipate all my needs, just have to remember to always pull gently or it goes nuts.

It was my first flight, from training mission, not even read the manual.

Online all wwII pilots are saying that it was an easy plane to fly: well it is till you are on air, on the runway it is a terrible machine.

I hadnt read the manual but i am going to do i now, there is something i am missing for sure...

I know i need to work on my tail up and the right speed.

:pilotfly:

200m butterflier inside :harhar:

MERLO forever

If you haven't yet, read the guides in the sticky posts at the top of this section, there is some really useful information about the behaviour of taildraggers that I found really helpful when I was getting started with the Spitfire. I'm still pretty rubbish, but I can get it airborne and back in one piece again more times than I crash, which I am happy with.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

The plane behave strangerly while being trimmed, by this i mean that applying the trim the bird is having a crazy yaw reaction, seems unreal.

Check in your control settings>axes> tune for the tick box named 'Swap axes' or similar and make sure it is ticked; your yaw/pitch trims will majically sort themselves out!

Mmm i cant check it right now but i am not using any axis for trim.

I am using (as on every other plane) the hat pov switch 1 in warthog stick.

It is not realistic but i am addicted to it....

When i say that the bird behave strangerly on trim i intend that if i trim up the bird yaw too, alot.

Then it go back to normal. This was not happening on other planes, as for example on the mustang.

Anyway i am going to check keybindings again, maybe i messed up something :huh:

BTW above 200mph trim behave normanly. Probably i need just to get used to the new stuff.

200m butterflier inside :harhar:

MERLO forever

• ED Team

The best advice - :) DO NOT TOUCH THE STICK. Before you start, place the stick to have the diamond pitch-neutral and one diamond to right (it touches the zero point with its left side).

Then set 8 lbs in 2-3 second concentrating on the direction and using only pedals.

That is all... the plane goes airborn by itself. You only have to help it a little as it is in the air.

The AoA you need to maintain running is about 8 deg - and the plane leave the ground smooth and reliably. This is the best way to TO a real Spit, by the way.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Yo-Yo, it's all good advice, but while we're at it, about the "crazy yaw reaction" to rudder trim mentioned above, would you mind cranking down the rudder trim wheel response, and cranking up elevator trim wheel response a little? That would help a lot to those of us, who operate these wheels by keys/buttons. Right now the rudder wheel is too damn twitchy, while elevator wheel is painfully slooooooooooooow. Something in-between (like in the Mustang) would be perfect :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
Yo-Yo, it's all good advice, but while we're at it, about the "crazy yaw reaction" to rudder trim mentioned above, would you mind cranking down the rudder trim wheel response, and cranking up elevator trim wheel response a little? That would help a lot to those of us, who operate these wheels by keys/buttons. Right now the rudder wheel is too damn twitchy, while elevator wheel is painfully slooooooooooooow. Something in-between (like in the Mustang) would be perfect :D.

I really do not see any "crazy yaw reaction"... what do you mean? Both trimmers go full travel for about 7 seconds.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I can confirm that those of us using hat switches to make incremental changes to trim would benefit from a greater resolution on the rudder and perhaps a little less on the elevator; currently one click of hat switch on the rudder trim produces large input and longitudinal oscillation that dampens out but it quite often results in it being very difficult to centre the trim; the turn and slip is often slightly out and a corrective trim input merely changes the side at which you are slipping!

Meanwhile it can take what feels like an age to trim pitch and requires holding the hat switch for several seconds in order to gain even a small amount of deflection on the indicator.

To summarize I guess at the moment the trims feel very unharmonized.