Terrible frame rate (Oculus Rift) in Gazelle

TripRodriguez

Hey guys. I've got a serious issue here.

For some reason no matter what I do with settings my frame rate flying the Gazelle drops to the low twenties after a minute or two of flying (v 1.5) around.

With the same settings in the huey my frame rate is steady at 45FPS.

I have even removed my mods and turned every setting down as low as it can go and get the same result of low 20's frame rates within a minute or two of takeoff.

My system specs:

Oculus Rift CV1

i7 4790K overclocked at 4.5 Ghz

GTX 1080 with a little overclock

8GB texture memory on video card

SSD for Windows

SSD another separate one with DCS on it

16GB System RAM

The Gazelle is the only module I'm having problems with =(.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Well I can confirm two things:

1- Gazelle frame rate is fine in Nevada/2.0, but horrendous on Caucasus/1.5

2- Huey frame rate is fine in Caucasus/1.5

Hopefully it's something already on the devs radar if it's not just limited to the Gazelle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, guys I have a question about the ocolus. I tested it in a demo session in a store with some rollercoaster demo. The resolution in the OCR was not satisfieng I thought. It looked like a 1024 x 1024 resolution or less andwas really pixelated and nothing close to what I saw on the external TV.

Besides the framerate issues I read here I would like to know how the OCR is and if the Picture you see in the OCR is still without AA and at such a low resolution.

Anybody who might hav the chance to give me a little insight on that, cause I am thinking of buying one soon for my birthday

Well, guys I have a question about the ocolus. I tested it in a demo session in a store with some rollercoaster demo. The resolution in the OCR was not satisfieng I thought. It looked like a 1024 x 1024 resolution or less andwas really pixelated and nothing close to what I saw on the external TV.

Besides the framerate issues I read here I would like to know how the OCR is and if the Picture you see in the OCR is still without AA and at such a low resolution.

Anybody who might hav the chance to give me a little insight on that, cause I am thinking of buying one soon for my birthday

It definitely looks better than that to me! But different opinions are to be expected. That said, running MSAA at 4x really helps the appearance really cuts down on the appearance of pixelation (to my eyes). Things are still a bit blurry at times (I have PD @ 1.2, but will probably upgrade my system in a few months), but still very reasonable for flying the Gazelle, MiG-21, Viggen, and MiG-15 (which are the modules I fly the most).

I still regard the Rift as a HUGE upgrade over using a monitor, even if the resolution is less than perfect. At my current settings with a GTX970, things look nearly as nice as they did on my monitor (1080p, not 4K). I am very happy with the upgrade and the majority of DCS players seem to feel the same way.

Also, I tried the Rift at the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio prior to buying and the experience in DCS was much better than the software I tried at the museum. Not a guarantee that you will like DCS better, but not all Rift experiences are created equal. DCS is currently a really good DCS experience IMHO.

Good luck with your decision! BTW, the Gazelle is one of the best Rift modules IMHO. :thumbup:

-Nic

Well I can confirm two things:

1- Gazelle frame rate is fine in Nevada/2.0, but horrendous on Caucasus/1.5

2- Huey frame rate is fine in Caucasus/1.5

Hopefully it's something already on the devs radar if it's not just limited to the Gazelle.

The Huey is fine in 2.0 as well?

What about other modules in 1.5 vs 2.0?

And is the problem with VR only?

Okay the resolution thing, yes it is 1K * 1.2k (ish) per eye. I wouldn't be the first to (crave) want more resolution. Anything I have seen so far on the rift is fairly cartoony in appearance but it's still convincing and will only get better kind of like when VGA gave way to higher resolutions.

But the trade off is the ability to naturally look around in the DCS environment including your aircraft so basically think of it like a number of 1K * 1.2K mosaics of your environment on a sphere that your in the centre of and your free to look pretty much anywhere.

So back to the resolution thing it is amazing what the human mind does to fill in the gaps, it doesn't increase the resolution but the immersive experience more then makes up for the current state of the technology.

So in a nutshell it's expensive if you look at it in terms of raw resolution but in my opinion worth it for the immersive experience and it will only get better. :thumbup:

I think the rift is not perfect but it's a pretty good place to start, I fly Huey and Gazelle in DCS 2.0.5x on NTTR and enjoy the experience, my 7YO on the other hand loves Lucky's Tale.

HTTH

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

What you are really looking for is this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180204

Vive has the same resolution as Rift. Most of us feel that after you use it for a while you won't even notice the resolution, you just learn to ignore it. I would sell my soul to the devil before I'd go back to flying on even a 4K flat screen from VR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you really think this helps the OP with his issue? Hijacking a thread instead of simply starting your own?

The question was about frame rate drops with the Gazelle in DCS 1.5.

To address that, I'd like to say that I get good rates in 1.5 and 2.0 with the Gazelle. Are you sure it isn't down to a rogue setting in 1.5? If it is however down to a bug, it won't be of any comfort I am sure, but 1.5 is close to the end of the road as far as ED are concerned, so I doubt they will bother to investigate this deeply any longer, as they'll be putting all their resources into the transfer across to 2.5. My recommendation would be to fly the Gazelle in 2.0, or dig deeper for that rogue setting. The problem of course is in the complexity of combinations of hardware and software, and it could be that you have hit the sweet spot for 2.0 - which is a good thing, but have something set that doesn't like the older graphics engine that 1.5 runs under.

In a word though, it's got a solution in sight, but with an unknown time scale for a fix. I feel for you having the problem, there is nothing more frustrating and annoying than a bug like this. Working round it might be your only real answer right now though.

Thanks @NeilWillis

I was mostly wanting to know if others were having the same issue with this specific combo or if it was just me so I would know whether to spend more time trying to figure out why it's happening to me or not. Rogue setting as you say.

Do you have a frame rate monitor running so you know what the frame rate actually is or are you going by feel? With reprojection or whatever it is, it can be really easy to think your frame rate is fine when it's actually fairly low. I use GeForce shadowplay type features for a frame rate monitor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a Rift, and I do see better rates in 2.0 than 1.5, though I can usually hit 45 fps away from heavy traffic or airfields with a lot going on.

I can do some specific tests in the Gazelle if you want a straight comparison. We can both pick the same mission and fly it and compare frame rates that way. Let me know if that will help, and just detail a mission (One that comes as standard is best). Post the numbers here, and tomorrow I'll do the same. It is gone midnight here, so I'm off to bed now, but I can check in in the morning.

I am pretty sure you won't be the only one experiencing problems. At least you are seeing better performance in the most recent version.

The Huey is fine in 2.0 as well?

What about other modules in 1.5 vs 2.0?

And is the problem with VR only?

I'll have to test some other modules (I have P51D and A10C) when I get a chance.

My computer is pretty beastly so there's no way I'm going to have any frame rate issues on a normal monitor!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer is pretty beastly so there's no way I'm going to have any frame rate issues on a normal monitor!

Ah yes, but there was an update a while ago that killed framerate on a normal (well, at least 4K) monitor as well as VR even on beefy machines. It was something to do with the landscape loading when you looked around. It was fixed very quickly in the next update (or maybe even a hot patch?? I can't remember).

having an oculus since christmas. The framrate drop occures randomly here. sometimes it runs smooth and the other day I have a huge framerate drop. Also reduced the farclipping plane and resolution which doesn't seems to make any difference.

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

@NeilWillis Just load up the first quick mission for the Gazelle, I think it's static tanks maybe? I tested with the first and second with nearly the same results.

I start off at 45fps, within ~1 minute of takeoff my frame rate drops off to under 30 and more or less stays there unless I'm looking out over the sea.

Even with everything set to absolute lowest settings and no supersample this happens. Very strange.

For comparison in Nevada with fairly high settings I start off at 90 fps and then drop to 45, then hold almost rock steady at 45fps thereafter.

As you said though, likely this isn't worth putting too much effort into with 2.5 hopefully coming soon. Hopefully.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soooo, one of our member with the biggest VR framerate drop problem realized that the 1.5.6 update set all the graphic options to the max, hence his slideshow in Occulus.

Back to his usual settings, framerate is back to normal.

Kinda sounds stupid, I know, but did you check your graphic settings lately, like just after 1.5.6 update?

Yeah I tried dropping everything to absolute lowest settings even. It was still terrible.

How can I fully default EVERYTHING settings wise so I can start from scratch without worry that some hidden/rogue setting is causing the problem?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hvae you tried pressing Lctl + NumPad1? I had similar issues in the F-5E and the Gazelle after one of the updates I have to press that every time that I go into game for the first time. It turns off the ASW which is something in the Rift software. I wish it was just turned off permanently. It really made things bad for me - when it had been fine before.

Tom

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I thought so too, but it really screwed my DCS up. I uninstalled, reinstalled, changed all the settings, dropped them right down, cranked them right up. Changed them all individually to see what happened. Nothing worked.

For me in the Gazelle it made the shadows from the rotor blades appear to go through everything, it looked like there was water running over the outside of the perspex, it was awful. With the F-5E it warped the wings and made it unflyable.

I wish there was a way to turn it off permanently.

• Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Oculus Rift S

Have you tried it in DCS 2.0?

I thought so too, but it really screwed my DCS up. I uninstalled, reinstalled, changed all the settings, dropped them right down, cranked them right up. Changed them all individually to see what happened. Nothing worked.

For me in the Gazelle it made the shadows from the rotor blades appear to go through everything, it looked like there was water running over the outside of the perspex, it was awful. With the F-5E it warped the wings and made it unflyable.

I wish there was a way to turn it off permanently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have, I had less of a problem in 2.0, I fly it a lot less but it was still present. Just pressing LCTL + NumPad 1 solves it though :)

• Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Oculus Rift S