do you like the Gaz or Huey - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
thrustvector

Default do you like the Gaz or Huey

simples really, I always ask you guys on potential next purchases, a little while a go it was on the mi8 or huey, overwhelmingly it was the 8, glad I did really love that old girl, nicely different from the shark.
I never had any interest in a hardly armed miniature copter, , but recently stating thinking how fun it actually looked and watching videos on nimbleness of it, and really started to love and want it, still torn on the huey as well, having ride of the Valkyries blazing out all the time you fly.
whats your opinion on them and if you do prefer one over the other why.
I think this one is a close call, it was going to be toss a coin for me.
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
wildari

In your case I'd say get the gazelle. You already have experience flying Helos. The Gazelle is the exact opposite of the Mi-8. Lightly armed but agile as hell and far more capable than it appears on first look.
Plus it's quite satisfying to shove a mistral up some Gen4 Jock's arse
wildari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustvector View Post
simples really, I always ask you guys on potential next purchases, a little while a go it was on the mi8 or huey, overwhelmingly it was the 8, glad I did really love that old girl, nicely different from the shark.
I never had any interest in a hardly armed miniature copter, , but recently stating thinking how fun it actually looked and watching videos on nimbleness of it, and really started to love and want it, still torn on the huey as well, having ride of the Valkyries blazing out all the time you fly.
whats your opinion on them and if you do prefer one over the other why.
I think this one is a close call, it was going to be toss a coin for me.
They are both absolutely great.

The Gazelle is a lot of fun to fly so to the Huey, download and watch

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustvector View Post
... whats your opinion on them and if you do prefer one over the other why.
Both helicopters have their strong points, which one you choose depends on the features you are looking for. Of the 2, I prefer the Huey's flight model but spend most of my time flying the Gazelle, as I've flown the Huey since it first came out and the Gazelle offers something different.

Huey
Lighter/nimbler than the Mi-8, able to get out of VRS easier, common transport in MP, old school ADF navigation, carries loads of ammo for the mini guns, well designed SP campaign, Classic helicopter

WIP EGT damage model limits performance in 2.5, so Huey needs to be flow with reduced 80% loadouts and at lower speeds ATM.

Gazelle
Light helicopter, limited in power, speed (similar to Huey's 110 kt when stripped of weapons) and endurance (~90 min) compared to Mi-8/UH-1H (500 kg of Viviane doesn't help), NADIR (INS) navigation (max 9 waypoints) plus ADF, Clear cockpit instrumentation i.e. torque meter, best DCS multicrew experience, 4 variants/cockpits, only heli with A2A missiles, fun for aerobatics, realistic but somewhat hard SP night campaign.

Can't swap between HOT3, Cannon and Mistral loadouts without switching airframes, so MP servers have to include lots of slots or limit variation of loadout. Gazelle is targeted at night ops but current Viviane IR mode isn't working in 2.5 (reported as fixed in dev build, so due any time). DCS multicrew is WIP and cockpit is subject to desync between players. Flight model or SAS can sometimes feel a little 'strange'. SP campaign really needs 2.5 night lighting to be fixed i.e. so laser pointers are again visible to NVG.

Last edited by Ramsay; 07-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
dimitriov

@Ramsay, actually laser is visible... Well it simply is that it is a black line not a bright one...... Well ok I am out lol
dimitriov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
thrustvector

thank you guys, cool flying frag
seems like the gazelle is the next one in the stable then.
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
FragBum

The Gazelle does respond to cyclic seemingly the same as say the Huey or Mi-8 but seems very centered in position and requires only a slight amount of input to achieve most manoeuvres. This implies CoG never changes but presumably and indeed it works for joystick centered controls.

More here as well.

Just be aware it may feel a little different.

The mi-8 is no slouch either

I think there all great.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
Spathiphyllum

I very much prefer the Gazelle. I wish rain effects on the windows were added though.
Spathiphyllum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
desworks

what about the rumours with the gazelle like "the crazy bugged flightmodel" etc.?
desworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #10
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by desworks View Post
what about the rumours with the gazelle like "the crazy bugged flightmodel" etc.?
Polychop have been quietly working on the Gazelle - fixing stuff or adding missing features for a while now.

I'd say the big fixes to the flight model started appearing Oct. 2017 - so you should probably ignore posts before that date or at least weight them accordingly.

Is the FM perfect - no, but IMHO it's a step above what it was and still being 'tweaked'.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote