Cannot get RAM to Advertised Freq

Hi All,

I've managed to OC my CPU (3930k) to 4.7Ghz which I'm happy with but I'm having trouble with my RAM. I have 16GB (4x4gb) Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz sticks and without touching any of the UFEI RAM setting, the default freq. of the RAM is around 1500Mhz.

Needless to say, when I try and bump up the freq. to the 'level up' the DRAM setting in the UFEI to 1865Mhz, the PC posts but fails to boot into Windows.

Does anyone know how I can stabilise the RAM? Shall I boost the voltage? I find it a little strange that I'm unable to attain even the advertised speed of the RAM

Thanks!

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Are you manually trying to up the frequency? or are you setting the XMP profile? If possible...just use the XMP profile. It should set appropriate voltage and timings your ram is rated for.

If for some reason you have no way to set the xmp profile which is unlikely, you could try to match the timings and voltage to the xmp profile manually. That information should be clearly listed either on the package or the manufacturer's product page.

For example - to run my ram at rated 3200mhz the XMP profile sets cas latency 16 which = timing of 16-18-18-38 2T and a dram voltage of 1.35.

I've not used a motherboard in the last decade that doesn't allow you to enable DRAM xmp profiles in some simple way, but just in case - be aware the timings and/or voltage will likely be very different than what I'm using. But - that's all relevant to it's advertised speeds and information you should know. So don't use my rams timings and voltage as an example for anything other than format of what information you're looking for specific to yours.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

You should also check if your Bios is the latest one available and flash it if not.

As Headwarp said, try the XMP settings first.

It can get hairy to enter XMP values yourself as what is not working are the sub-timings which are likely not listed on your RAM box or website...and there are many many values past the 1866 CL14/15/15-1T/630 those are the ones you know, there are two dozen you dont.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You should also check if your Bios is the latest one available and flash it if not.

:thumbup:

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Nope, I'm not using XMP. Should I try that? Do you think the extra 300Mhz will help in VR? I'm currently thinking about buying a 16GB 2400Mhz kit to help out (somewhat) with FPS. At the current rate, I'll literally take any FPS increase I can get! :)

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I'd be interested to know how the 2080ti is going with that setup. I'm not sure if it can fed it enough.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Nope, I'm not using XMP. Should I try that? Do you think the extra 300Mhz will help in VR? I'm currently thinking about buying a 16GB 2400Mhz kit to help out (somewhat) with FPS. At the current rate, I'll literally take any FPS increase I can get! :)

Absolutely.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah turn on XMP to get your money's worth out of that ram. ;) If it started throwing errors with xmp on I'd RMA it if it's still under warranty. I mean.. will you see noticable gains in DCS? I wouldn't really imagine so but.. the ram is designed to run using the intel xmp profile. It will be faster than without it, and that applies to your entire system not just one application.

I wouldn't replace your existing ram simply for ram that runs at a higher mhz, that usually comes with a higher cas latency as well and the effect won't be much.

VR in DCS may however benefit from having a higher total capacity of ram. It was DCS 1.5 after all that made me upgrade from 8 to 16GB on my old rig when 8gb was considered overkill for everything gaming. I'm waiting on another 16GB kit to arrive..hopefully by the 20th which will put me up to 32GB.

I am probably going to try and give an in-depth account of my experiences in PC upgrades since jumping into DCS 2.X as there's really almost nothing I can throw money at in regards to PC performance once the kit is installed.. so if you can hang on to your money til then I'd feel better offering advice, but if money's burning a hole in your pocket I'd likely advise a 32GB kit over a higher mhz 16GB kit.

If xmp causes your OC to become unstable I'd first try a bump in cpu vcore anywhere between .05 to .15 before fiddling with much else. At least that did the trick when i went from 8 to 16GB on my last rig. :) If that didn't work that'd be about the only reason I'd consider running less than the xmp rated speeds. Knock on wood I haven't run into an experience where xmp wouldn't work, other than this one board/ram combo years ago that thankfully, with the help of others with the same issue I was able to set the timings manually. QVL lists <3

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Well, I was able to use XMP to OC the ram to the stated speed! I had a quick free flight over Caucasus and I don't think I noticed too much of a difference. Still getting a steady 45 fps when flying 400ft off the ground in between the trees. To be honest, not entirely sure what I was expecting, its +~300Mhz after all! :)

I have been thinking about putting together a new 9900k build with 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz RAM to compliment the 2080Ti as I was thinking the CPU, RAM and MoBo would create some kind of bottle neck. With the current fps I'm getting though, I'm in two minds about spending £1700+ for seemingly not much gain which is why I mentioned buying a replacement 2400Mhz DDR3 kit for my current setup.

I do drop down to ~30-35 when dog fighting < 2000ft I'll admit but I'm running a PD of 2.0 with most settings on High (inc. shadows) and using Kegetys' shaders mod; I don't know where we'd be without that mod.

Edited by obious

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Well, I was able to use XMP to OC the ram to the stated speed! I had a quick free flight over Caucasus and I don't think I noticed too much of a difference. Still getting a steady 45 fps when flying 400ft off the ground in between the trees. To be honest, not entirely sure what I was expecting, its +~300Mhz after all! :)

I have been thinking about putting together a new 9900k build with 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz RAM to compliment the 2080Ti as I was thinking the CPU, RAM and MoBo would create some kind of bottle neck. With the current fps I'm getting though, I'm in two minds about spending £1700+ for seemingly not much gain which is why I mentioned buying a replacement 2400Mhz DDR3 kit for my current setup.

I do drop down to ~30-35 when dog fighting < 2000ft I'll admit but I'm running a PD of 2.0 with most settings on High (inc. shadows) and using Kegetys' shaders mod; I don't know where we'd be without that mod.

3200 mhz cas latency 16 ram might be more practical pricewise. DDR4 4000mhz cas 18 or cas 19 is almost double the price and when it comes to CAS Latency lower is better.

Even CAS 14 3200mhz ram is significantly less expensive. That is also not to mention that official DRAM speed supported by 8th and 9th gen intel cpu's is 2666mhz. So faster ram profiles are technically overclocking. And there may be a point at which extreme ram speeds don't play well with extreme CPU frequencies.

Chances are at least when it comes to gaming and DCS that the price of that 4000mhz at least imo isn't justified, and the benefit might be almost unnoticeable. 3200mhz ram on the other hand.. currently seeing some pretty good sales on newegg. Might not help you in London >.<

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

So faster ram profiles are technically overclocking. And there may be a point at which extreme ram speeds don't play well with extreme CPU frequencies.

>.<

Yaya, sad but true :(

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X