Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

No I was interested in the cost to print sorry if I wasn’t clear.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

No I was interested in the cost to print sorry if I wasn’t clear.
The print will not cost much in the way of plastic, but you need to factor in electricity for running the machine anywhere between 1 to 30 hours. You also need to factor in doing this more than once, a print can fail at any stage, your design might be just a little wrong so you need to change it and print again. Very difficult to actually put a price in a print, BUT I would say 3D printing is very very worth it for ideas like this. In fact I don't think there is really any other way in the same amount of time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Arent these the same as the CUB by Lynx?
All switch boxes are the same at the end of the day. I have been in touch with John about this project and I would say no these are quit different to the project by Lynx. I am not sure what controls the CUBs but these are all running DCS-BIOS (customised in some instances) and have a neat modular design using d connectors. Alk the enclosures are specifically designed for their modular and custom 3D printed. At the end of the day I would say these would be way more attainable for the average simmer, and could be built by anybody with access to a printer and some electronics skills. The CUBs require laser engravers and multiple materials.

Thanks Ross that sums it up, the print time is the real killer. I'm building this project using basic techniques so anyone can make their own. E.g. only using vero board for the bus transceiver and making stencils so you know where to drill out the track. I do have design set backs every now and again which means I need to reprint. The panels are continuously evolving as the solution is fleshed out.

The latest redesign is the feet arrangement, initially I made them asymmetrical, but now that I'm building the vertical units I realised they should be symmetrical to allow for universal feet units. This change affects all boxes before it, more reprinting time.

I've made the decision to not stick with a bad design and change things even if it requires a complete reprint.

cheers

John

Proto vertical transfer unit, it acts as a T-Junction, serving left and right vertical units. The left side panel will be the APU/Engine Crank and the right side panel the lighting panel.

hlMIB2B.jpg

Vertical Lighting Panel, need to CAD the knobs.

HQaiHy7.jpg

cheers

John

Really like your idea I’m planning on buying a 3D printer as soon as my buddy finds the info on the one he suggests. If it does the 2 element printing with out change over I’ll probably get it. I’m planning on starting with several boxes with the foot print of the tm wh throttle for the first three at least then design them to be modular with in the box but each box will have there own Leobednor pc board so with the exception of the rotarys will be plug n play the rotary ‘s will need configuration with the PCb before being plug n play that way it will be usable in both dcs and xp11. I’m thinking the first will be condensed radio panels including the distribution panel.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thanks Ross! I have a little CNC router on the way, thinking about printing the top panel in white HIPS plastic, sand smooth, spray black then route/laser etch the lettering.

John this is bloody fantastic man. I look at my little boxes and am embarassed. Keep it up man.

Hi, After it has been developed and there's demand I'll provide howto's for these boxes. I could change this thread into more of a build thread rather than just posting the final results. Not sure if this forum is the place for that type of thing.

cheers

John

I want to do this, please keep posting your progress and any step by step instructions you may have!

-=gos=-

Edited by Blue73

Hi Mr Burns, I print at 0.19mm layer height/60% infill so the 40mm horizontal and vertical boxes take approx 10hours each, and the face plates 3-5 hours.

I have the Zortrax M200, the printer is a real work horse, not one print failure in the 18 months I've been using it.

How long does it take to print a box like that and which printer do you have??

Oh man sound awesome. Lots of nice toys. How about a clear Perspex layer with an engraved black top plate then you could light from inside.

Do you use PLY? Was wondering white print then top few layers in black. Engraved thru the black. Assuming the CNC doesnt melt the plastic. Geez your options are going to be almost limitless now.

That's a great idea Ross, I'll extend that to printing in clear (comes out smoked), paint it black then in-bed cutouts to hold small SMD leds.

Haven't heard of PLY, I'll look it up.

A benefit of printing in HIPS is it can be easily sanded smooth and if white may be enough to transport light.

cheers

John

Oh man sound awesome. Lots of nice toys. How about a clear Perspex layer with an engraved black top plate then you could light from inside.

Do you use PLY? Was wondering white print then top few layers in black. Engraved thru the black. Assuming the CNC doesnt melt the plastic. Geez your options are going to be almost limitless now.

Any update on releasing the basic stl/cad files? I would add/like to see a tilted 'box' for switches forward of the throttle for landing gear etc.

Thingiverse provides some nice landing gear lever models with a locking mechanism...

When you finish this I have an ideal that might be easier . I will need one box the size of the throttles box and two angled boxes forward of the throttle and the box beside it. Ten make single double and maybe quadruple universal panels the add the controls to them a rj-45(cat 5/6) jack links the box to a central pcb using cat 5/6 cables. This pc is plug n play so most of the setup is in dcs the only flashing of the pcb is setup of. The encoders

Edited by BlacleyCole

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

I'm currently finalising the left hand electronics then I'll move forward and build the angled panel. The design will mimic the hornet panel. I don't refer to any others work as it will bias the result.

Any update on releasing the basic stl/cad files? I would add/like to see a tilted 'box' for switches forward of the throttle for landing gear etc.

Thingiverse provides some nice landing gear lever models with a locking mechanism...

I have had similar thoughts but ran with this design to maximise the modularity of the design. Each box is "loosely coupled" which will help minimise future design restraints.

When you finish this I have an ideal that might be easier . I will need one box the size of the throttles box and two angled boxes forward of the throttle and the box beside it. Ten make single double and maybe quadruple universal panels the add the controls to them a rj-45(cat 5/6) jack links the box to a central pcb using cat 5/6 cables. This pc is plug n play so most of the setup is in dcs the only flashing of the pcb is setup of. The encoders

John, been meaning to ask, are you looking at doing something for the UFC?

I have been toying around with ideas and designs in Fusion360 for a couple weekends now and not sure what the best option would be for a desktop pit.

On the electronics side, not sure a keyboard matrix in DCS-Bios or direct mapping, or what.

Hi Ross, Sorry I haven't thought that far ahead, got my head in the weeds. I think a matrixed input would be needed, probably would need a mega to handle all the input requirements, alternatively multiple Nanos.

I'm close to starting the angled section in front of the throttle, when I'm building the frame I'll see how a UFC might work. I play in VR so its not really an issue if it hovers over my keyboard. I'm picturing a frame using many 3d printed braces and beams, locked together with nuts and bolts.

cheers

John

Hi All,

New Fuel panel has been integrated into the throttle lip and a bus extender cable constructed to take power and data to the next column. This same cable design will be used to service the front and right hand panel groups.

v71sYxg.jpg

cheers

John