Mk 82 and Snakeye depression tables

OziRekt

Ok once you apply the AOA correction I get 101mils . The end game AOA correction being -7 mils. (Chart A 20mils + Chart B 8mills - 35Mils correction).

Anyway the single biggest error I believe is that caused by the huge (bugged) altimeter lag we are seeing.

• 3 months later...

For those of you who have done a bunch of testing in bomb releasing. How important is weight over target in the game?

I've looking into bombing profiles ( and the related threads about them ) to try and understand the differences between the game and the manual.

Is this a calculation you guys have been making and if so, does anyone know if the manual is an accurate way of figuring it out?

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

i realize this thread may be four months old, but I am curious if anyone came to a solution.

I did notice that no one mentioned entering the local pressure setting in Hg into the Altimeter. Were these tests done with this variable? I believe we can get this value from the map in mission editor. Perhaps this accounts for the suspected altimeter lag?

If anyone is interested I have some low level test results.

I use:

Altitude over target = 100 ft.

KIAS = 400 kts.

Dive Angle = 0 degrees.

Map pressure = 30.31 Hg (was default for Nevada)

9 SnakeEyes (5 on centreline, 1 on each other pylon)

Full internal fuel

No flaps

Target elevation = 3921 ft

Using the tables and charts in the actual manual I got depression setting =

82 (from table) + 52 (from chart A) + 16 (from chart B) - 35 mils = 115

With this set on the sight depression, and the pressure set on the altimeter, I am able to get consistent strikes. I stay level over the taget at 4021 ft, and drop right when the pipper hits the target. Timing seems crucial since there is a lag due to the release button response.

I also noticed that to maintain the speed the air brake is better than throttle adustments and does not affect the aoa (both the manual and game do not seem to have a problem with this).

I also noticed that for each bomb I drop I have to decrease the depression for the next bomb run by about 3 mils, 2 mils for the absence of the drag from the bomb I just dropped (chart B) and 1 mil for its weight (chart A). Depending how long I am over the zone, I would also need to in advance plan how many mils to reduce depression based roughly on how much fuel I use over time (chart A again).

Finally the manual's diagrams of the four or so factors that affect short or long drops I found were helpful after the planning was done and I was over the target i.e. after proactive planning and during reactive execution. If my first run was a failure, even if I followed all planned parameters, I could tweat just one of the variables for the next run, eg. If my bombs were short, I could either drop my altitude a few feet or increase kts for the next run.

It would be great if someone else tries this approach and confirms wether it works for them too.

Edited by jerkinajet

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to use those charts ? I'm not having any luck.

Let's take a look at a test I did.

Parameters @ Release

1528 ft (from F2 view) - altimeter reads 1800 ft

424 KTAS (from F2 view) - cockpit reads 420 KIAS

19° dive (from F2 view and standby AI) - main AI reads 20°

Configuration: 2xMk-82 - 16,000 lbs

Sight setting computation

Bomb tables, 1500 ft, 400 KTAS, 20° dive => 120 mils

Linear correction for altitude deviation: +1 mil => 121 mils

Linear correction for speed deviation: -9 mils => 112 mils

Linear correction for pitch deviation: +5 mils => 117 mils

AoA correction from chart: 37 + 10 - 35 = +12 mils => 129 mils

Final sight setting: 129 mils

Now let's take a look at what actually happened. Here is the sight picture at release (an external view and a wider cockpit view are attached for parameters reference). The aircraft was stable. The sight depression is set at 90 mils for reference. 129 mils would be hidden from view.

Sight_setting_3.jpg?raw=1

And here is where the bombs actually hit.

Sight_setting_4.jpg?raw=1

By using a reference picture with different depression settings, I measured that the bombs hit at an estimated 72 mils. That is quite a deviation from 129 mils.

So, am I doing something terribly wrong in my calculations ? I also attached a track in case.

Bombing.trk

Sight_setting_1.thumb.jpg.fba357c6e7f5b58e6818bf4b80affded.jpg

Sight_setting_2.thumb.jpg.ef47f93be10865951b73fb9c5af84a1a.jpg

Edited by Robin_Hood

You may have considered these points, but just in case you haven't::

Weather settings, are they default? Wind/altimeter settings may play a part.

Ground elevation? Doesn't look like it'll be much, but more than 0.

I believe the speed in F2 view is ground speed, not TAS. You may find steeper dive angles cause the F2 view to under-read. Wind will also skew the results.

No Wind, ground elevation should be 0 ft (around the Kerch Strait, where the map).

About F2 speed, I just noticed I forgot to put it in TAS mode, so I have IAS instead. I will re-check in TAS (of course, @ 1500 ft it shouldn't be very different). I'm pretty sure that F2 now gives IAS or TAS and not GS, although I will make a quick test to make sure.

EDIT: Confirmed, F2 gives True airspeed, independant of dive angle (it may be affected by wind, though, not sure about it, but no wind in the mission).

Edited by Robin_Hood