No in the F5E

IvanK

For what reason is ED develop a F18, I never understand why people assume to make a F22 Raptor out of the F-5.

And when you weapon range of the Sidewinder and radar lock you near enough to see the MIG-21.

And I assume on air quake server like 104 a F5 is not very well fitted with non of BVR abilities.

In a full real DCS employment you give every plane what he is missing on his weak side is a little bit boring and we go backwards to arcade style.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I can not agree with you.

The fact is "DCS is a game", not real life.

Of course the F5E has no ability to fight against those 3rd generation fighter in real life.

But in the game, everything become possible right??

I know I will fly this Tiger to kick those 3rd gen fighters`s ass in multiple players like 104th.

But without IFF, it will be difficult.

All I want is making some functions of IFF for F5E to fight against enemy.

Sure, may be a lot of frustration if you try to go toe to toe with the FC3 guys, but think of the satisfaction you will get when you get that kill without those gizmos.

I can not agree with you.

The fact is "DCS is a game", not real life. Yes, sure, it is a game, lets make it all warthunder, brilliant idea :).

Of course the F5E has no ability to fight against those 3rd generation fighter in real life.

But in the game, everything become possible right?? Nope...

I know I will fly this Tiger to kick those 3rd gen fighters`s ass in multiple players like 104th.

But without IFF, it will be difficult.

All I want is making some functions of IFF for F5E to fight against enemy.

My replies in red in the quote. Also, F-5 is a 3rd gen fighter itself, what you mean is 4th generation. With or without IFF, F-5 is at home against most other 3rd gen fighters. DCS, even if is a "game" eventually, it is one that stands out from others not by graphics, not by actions, but by adherence to reality in portraying the airframes the best possible way. Giving it abilities it doesn't have IRL for air quake's sake is an affront against that in my opinion. Flying any less capable aircraft against 4th gen fighters in air quake servers require learning limitations of aircrat and adapt accordingly, infact this holds true even flying Russian 4th gen against F-15C with AMRAAMs. Lack of IFF on F-5 is likewise a limitation that it had in reality, so if one wants to fly it on air quake, well just adapt to that. There have been many real life air combat operations where either one or both sides had either no IFF capabilities, or very limited ones. They got around that with communication. At worst case, a lua script might be developed for servers to run, which may add a magic IFF function to aircraft that lack it if people really crave it that much for such servers.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

There are 9 operators of the F/A-18; only the USN and USMC fly them off carriers. I assume the 18 also has avionics compatible with regular ILS, and not just the AN/SPN-41 used on carriers.

For those ground based F18 operators a separate Civil VOR/ILS system is fitted the Navy ILS is removed completely. You dont have both systems though.

Edited by IvanK

And i still think the F-5E could be fun on MP servers where the teams are using mixed aircraft.

But in a light strike role rather then a fighter role

(as telling friend from foe will be hard if not impossible).

And the F-5E should be interesting in the strike role once one has learned the techniques

(after all many nations used the F-5 in a Light Fighter bomber role with other aircraft serving as the Dedicated figther)

and it can carry a suprising load for its small airframe.

And i still think the F-5E could be fun on MP servers where the teams are using mixed aircraft.

But in a light strike role rather then a fighter role

(as telling friend from foe will be hard if not impossible).

And the F-5E should be interesting in the strike role once one has learned the techniques

(after all many nations used the F-5 in a Light Fighter bomber role with other aircraft serving as the Dedicated figther)

and it can carry a suprising load for its small airframe.

I agree with this too. I think I will spend most of my time in Mig-21 vs F-5 servers, but when I go onto the more populated mixed servers, I will just do ground strike and go from there. I will still have tons of fun regardless.

It does not have ILS, and it does not have IFF, it doesn't do air refueling either. So what? It is still THE F-5E, as it is envisioned as a light cheap agile fighter for allied states so they can somewhat counter the masses of similarly light cheap Soviet aircraft.

I would pay again for an updated late 20 or 21st century F-5, same with the MiG-21. But, it is important we are getting their proper historical versions first.

Old or new, modules take a lot to develop, and they cost what they cost. It may not be too suitable to FC3 deathmatch, but why should it be at all?

People seem to miss the fact that this is mainly intented as a MiG-21 rival. Not F-15C, Su-27 or MiG-21 rival, and certainly not F-14 either, as is so popularly portrayed in a certain cheesy movie.

Oh how I wish Typhoon to be released already, not because I'm interested in it, not much certainly, but rather so that people may finally lay off asking "how will this fit in 104" for every module announced...

How dare you

top gun wasnt cheesy

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Interesting thanks.

I do find it amusing that they manage to fit ILS to a Cessna but not include it as well in a sophisticated Navy jet.

Agreed. Trainers have ILS. I like Belsimtek's work and this aircraft appears to be well done visually. My guess is that it's appealing to a small niche and not going to be a huge seller. I'll wait for a future sale.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Sadly according to Matts latest video there is no ILS in the DCS F5E. Thats a real shame VOR/ILS is an option IRL just depends on the buyers preference. Be nice if we could get an ILS at a minimum.

There's are a number of elements in Belsimtek's F-5E module that mark it down for me.

As the F-5 is a favourite of mine,

• +9, feature complete, day one multi copy purchase
  • +8, no ILS, looses a point, makes it less suitable as 'all in one' combat trainer but I can't fault Belsimtek for being 'true' to a particular block/variant rather than synthesising variants for gameplay/sales (can't please everyone). Day one, single copy purchase.
  • +7, no campaign, looses another point. A basic feature, I bought the F-86 but stopped flying it after 6 months, it doesn't balance well with other DCS assets. Didn't buy the MiG-15 as I'm not making use of F-86. F-5 becomes a wait and see module, I want it but perhaps will wait for a sale.

Note: no IFF isn't an issue for me, real aircraft didn't have the feature. Later aviation upgrades that add advanced Radar with IFF do so as part of adding BVR missile capability (AIM-120, etc.) because they need the feature for BVR combat.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Many new kids here since a few months... And their attitude about arcade and simulation is a little disturbing

Share this opinion. Have to admit that I notice a decrease in the intellectual level presented in many discussions here now... Even with my relatively short participation in forums, I do not remember things to be this bad some years back with DCS, LOMAC even...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• +7, no campaign, looses another point. A basic feature, I bought the F-86 but stopped flying it after 6 months, it doesn't balance well with other DCS assets. Didn't buy the MiG-15 as I'm not making use of F-86. F-5 becomes a wait and see module, I want it but perhaps will wait for a sale.

Ramsey,

You should dust off your Sabre and join us in Georgian Spring 1955, the Sabre is quite at home there as is the Mig-15 and there are some good Mig-15 pilots to watch out for.

When the F-5 comes out I will also plan on running Georgian Spring 1975 that the F-5 and Mig-21 will feel quite comfortable in.

The Sabre is a truly great module and really makes me look forward to the F-5, it will be a hard time dividing my time between the two!

Cheers

Rob

Share this opinion. Have to admit that I notice a decrease in the intellectual level presented in many discussions here now... Even with my relatively short participation in forums, I do not remember things to be this bad some years back with DCS, LOMAC even...

+1.

This is probably pretty appropriate for an export light fighter. Many of the target countries won't have as developed infrastructure, and thus might not have properly maintained ILS antennas at each airport. This is especially true if we ever get the ability to place temporary airstrips, or service the aircraft on roads.

If I understand correctly, the military favors Precision Approach Radar (PAR). over ILS.

Not only the military. IRL flying a GCA approach with a good controller is way easier than keeping the ILS needles centered by crosschecking them with heading and vert speed.

Unfortunately for us civil guys this service is only very seldom provided.

My first flight instructor said that she flew an PAR approach once, flying into CFB Trenton, with an extremely low ceiling.

She said it was somewhat unnerving being 'micromanaged' on the approach, but when she broke out into the clear she was perfectly on the approach path.

ILS for the win. At least the F-5 has a Tacan, all hope is not lost for bad weather flying lol.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

For those ground based F18 operators a separate Civil VOR/ILS system is fitted the Navy ILS is removed completely. You dont have both systems though.

The version of the F5 we have is only TACAN equipped, the F18 ED is using is a Spanish one IDed via screens so ILS will be compatable. As for Navigation the TACAN is more than enough and with the ability to do A2A TACAN that will be a hoot to learn.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

The version of the F5 we have is only TACAN equipped, the F18 ED is using is a Spanish one IDed via screens so ILS will be compatable. As for Navigation the TACAN is more than enough and with the ability to do A2A TACAN that will be a hoot to learn.

Nice! I'm not upset in the slightest, I'd rather have a TACAN over a standard civil VOR receiver anyway. Much more accurate!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Spain does not use the F/A-18C... only EF-18A and F/A-18A+ Hornets. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish with this austere version of the F-5E. It's going to be good fun.:thumbup:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Spain does not use the F/A-18C... only EF-18A and F/A-18A+ Hornets. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish with this austere version of the F-5E. It's going to be good fun.:thumbup:

shooting down almost an equally austere Mig21bis.

thats BST primary reason for deciding to create the F5 to create competition for this legacy Russian aircraft, with a counterpart from a similar era and level of technology.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

shooting down almost an equally austere Mig21bis.

thats BST primary reason for deciding to create the F5 to create competition for this legacy Russian aircraft, with a counterpart from a similar era and level of technology.

I don't really care about the reasoning... I'm just happy to have the module. A good pilot will find a way to be successful and that is the fun part for me. I'll probably get shot down a lot in the F-5E at first and that's ok while I am still learning from the experience. In most modern combat aircraft the aircraft does most of the work for you. That is not the case with the F-5E, you have be smart in its employment. MiG-21's, Su-27's, MiG-29's, F-15's... the opponent does not matter. Get in, hit the target and get out and if one of those other jets want to tangle then we'll dance. I care more about mission completion, solid tactical decision making and learning the airframe/systems operation than how my score stacks up in death match server so most of the arguments against this jet seem kind of silly to me. To each their own though. If you don't want a simple DCS ASM/EFM tactical fighter don't get it, it's that simple.

• Like 1

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"