No in the F5E

IvanK

Sadly according to Matts latest video there is no ILS in the DCS F5E. Thats a real shame VOR/ILS is an option IRL just depends on the buyers preference. Be nice if we could get an ILS at a minimum.

Edited by IvanK

Belsimtek use some reference aicraft i belive, this was possible lacking of ILS device, would be nice to have but nothing serious what I miss because F-5 easy to handel jet rely on visual combat employment in bad weather you are unable to use your weapons.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Nothing wrong with a fair weather fighter.

As Wags said in the latest video, it is the limitations of an airframe that make it interesting, and there is a lot to truth to that. Anyone can be a fighter jock in an aircraft with all the bells and whistles, but to wring the very last ounce of advantage out of something less comprehensively equipped is where the skill lies.

I dont see a problem with the missing ILS... Its a nice way for me to train TACAN and VFR landings and approach in different weather and day/nighttime..

And when the F-18C comes, there will be plenty of oppotunities to train ILS and Air to Air Refueling.

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

• ED Team

TACAN and VFR landings in the F-5E are great fun, I do not see the problem with having no ILS

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I read in the books since I was a child F-5 wasn't an all weather fighter. It makes sense no ILS is available.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Multiplayer will be difficult with no IFF.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Multiplayer will be difficult with no IFF.
So is RL for sure. But still without BVR option IFF is mainly useless.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I can live without the ILS. Honestly I can't remember the last time I landed using it, or its Russian counterpart. :D

Since F-5 lacks BVR, if you can't see the runaway you probably won't see the enemy, so there's no point to take off in the first place.

Alot of servers mix the aircraft....you'll have Russian and Western aircraft on both sides.....the 104th for example.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

"And when the F-18C comes, there will be plenty of oppotunities to train ILS ........"

For the record the Navy ILS is not compatible with ground based ILS ... totally different systems

There are 9 operators of the F/A-18; only the USN and USMC fly them off carriers. I assume the 18 also has avionics compatible with regular ILS, and not just the AN/SPN-41 used on carriers.

As Wags said in the latest video, it is the limitations of an airframe that make it interesting, and there is a lot to truth to that. Anyone can be a fighter jock in an aircraft with all the bells and whistles, but to wring the very last ounce of advantage out of something less comprehensively equipped is where the skill lies.

This x1000.

Learn to do things expertly without all the "bells and whistles", and you'll kick ass if/when more advanced systems are in place.

Learn with all the "bells and whistles" first, and become reliant on them, and you'll get your ass kicked when they're not present.

It's why real pilots still learn at least the rudiments of radio navigation in our modern GPS navigation world.

I absolutely love that this is going to be a high-fidelity rendition of a very manual "hands on" multi-role fighter.

Might be just as good as if they had announced DCS: Su-25SM, for this ground-pounder :)

Alot of servers mix the aircraft....you'll have Russian and Western aircraft on both sides.....the 104th for example.

Just because a lot of servers do this, doesn't mean it's realistic in any way.

While it's theoretically possible - given the F-5's "export fighter" status - that you could see an F-5 v.s. F-5 conflict, given proper deployment and proper ROE that are adhered to, the chance of a "blue-on-blue" kill in WVR goes way down.

Lack of IFF should only be a real problem on an "airquake" server with pilots who don't look before they shoot.

I can live without the ILS. Honestly I can't remember the last time I landed using it, or its Russian counterpart. :D

Since F-5 lacks BVR, if you can't see the runaway you probably won't see the enemy, so there's no point to take off in the first place.

This is a plus as you can remain unseen much longer WVR. If you can sneak up without your opponent knowing and verify he is on the other team (using a little GCI hand holding, it can be very deadly. Pop out of the weather shoot and go back down.

on

• ED Team

Guys discuss F-5E ILS or lack of it, Price is off topic and nothing to do with a feature being included or not.

thread cleaned

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It does not have ILS, and it does not have IFF, it doesn't do air refueling either. So what? It is still THE F-5E, as it is envisioned as a light cheap agile fighter for allied states so they can somewhat counter the masses of similarly light cheap Soviet aircraft.

I would pay again for an updated late 20 or 21st century F-5, same with the MiG-21. But, it is important we are getting their proper historical versions first.

Old or new, modules take a lot to develop, and they cost what they cost. It may not be too suitable to FC3 deathmatch, but why should it be at all?

People seem to miss the fact that this is mainly intented as a MiG-21 rival. Not F-15C, Su-27 or MiG-21 rival, and certainly not F-14 either, as is so popularly portrayed in a certain cheesy movie.

Oh how I wish Typhoon to be released already, not because I'm interested in it, not much certainly, but rather so that people may finally lay off asking "how will this fit in 104" for every module announced...

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

The cockpit shows a Swiss Air Force number "J-3085" and they do lack ILS equipment but they all use the huge analog radio equipment and not the digital as in the sim. I guess ED got their hands on a F-5 which was sold to the US for use in one of the agressor squadrons, kinda funny that they buy their own fighters back again after so many years.

Just checked: I was thinking that the 3085 should be a patrouille suisse tiger, it is indeed:

http://m.airliners.net/photo/detail/id/2805485

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Sadly according to Matts latest video there is no ILS in the DCS F5E. Thats a real shame VOR/ILS is an option IRL just depends on the buyers preference. Be nice if we could get an ILS at a minimum.

It depends on the F-5E Model

There are Multiple, and the Version they are doing does not Have ILS, it's not Buyer Dependent, it's Block/Model Dependent.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

...people may finally lay off asking "how will this fit in 104" for every module announced...

This x100! I don't understand why everyone thinks every jet module needs to be competitive in a modern airquake server. The F-5 Tiger II was never intended to fight the most modern jets that we have in game currently, and even the updated/modern versions would struggle, albeit less so. There will be plenty of upcoming modules that will fit in just fine with the servers that mix plane-sets, so I for one am extremely excited to have one of few upcoming modules that fit perfectly in its projected role with fewer "bells and whistles".

The Mig-21 already has issues in these servers and now it finally has an appropriate enemy to fight against. I am certain there will be several new servers that will be Mig-21 vs F-5 and I think that is where I will spend most of my time. Sure there will be servers that have the F-5 mixed in with modern jets, but it should be on ones that have accurate opposition. In those servers it would be fun to try to sneak up on Su-25's or slow moving Su-27's, etc, but that type of server shouldn't be the expected norm to compare all future modules against. I got away from Warthunder for a reason - I like accurate match-ups and if something isn't "balanced" but it is realistic, then I find more enjoyment out of that, especially if I can get the upper hand on a 4th gen fighter and kill them.

Just my $0.02. Not everyone agrees with this obviously and that's why we see multiple opinions. When it's all said and done, in 1-2 years there will be several new modules available that will attract most of the various groups in DCS. Exciting times!

Edited by Medic8ed

It does not have ILS, and it does not have IFF, it doesn't do air refueling either. So what? It is still THE F-5E, as it is envisioned as a light cheap agile fighter for allied states so they can somewhat counter the masses of similarly light cheap Soviet aircraft.

I would pay again for an updated late 20 or 21st century F-5, same with the MiG-21. But, it is important we are getting their proper historical versions first.

Old or new, modules take a lot to develop, and they cost what they cost. It may not be too suitable to FC3 deathmatch, but why should it be at all?

People seem to miss the fact that this is mainly intented as a MiG-21 rival. Not F-15C, Su-27 or MiG-21 rival, and certainly not F-14 either, as is so popularly portrayed in a certain cheesy movie.

Oh how I wish Typhoon to be released already, not because I'm interested in it, not much certainly, but rather so that people may finally lay off asking "how will this fit in 104" for every module announced...

I can not agree with you.

The fact is "DCS is a game", not real life.

Of course the F5E has no ability to fight against those 3rd generation fighter in real life.

But in the game, everything become possible right??

I know I will fly this Tiger to kick those 3rd gen fighters`s ass in multiple players like 104th.

But without IFF, it will be difficult.

All I want is making some functions of IFF for F5E to fight against enemy.

• Like 1