DCS and Pimax

Wags

The pixel density will always be better with the 5K+, no matter which FOV you use. Pixel density of the 5K+ is not depending on the FOV, only the total pixel count will be reduced when reducing the FOV. It´s like cutting off the edges of the screens.

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Judging by that video the Pimax 5K+ is the new king when it comes to resolution/clarity. It's quite a step above the Odyssey and the Pimax 8K. The reason is probably that the 5K+ uses RGB sub pixels and the other use pentile screens. When will the VR manufacturers understand that a pentile display is NOT a good choice for a screen that sits so close to the eyes. Pentile may only be an alternative once resolutions are so high that individual pixels can not be seen anyway.

I will be very interested to see how the 5K+ performs with DCS. This might be my first VR headset!

Judging by that video the Pimax 5K+ is the new king when it comes to resolution/clarity. It's quite a step above the Odyssey and the Pimax 8K. The reason is probably that the 5K+ uses RGB sub pixels and the other use pentile screens. When will the VR manufacturers understand that a pentile display is NOT a good choice for a screen that sits so close to the eyes. Pentile may only be an alternative once resolutions are so high that individual pixels can not be seen anyway.

I will be very interested to see how the 5K+ performs with DCS. This might be my first VR headset!

I will wait proper DCS review from some more competent DCS VR user.

It is mentioned in the video but to repeat. Yes, 5K have more clarity and better instrument reading but 8K is better in distance view sporting targets.

The difference is not that big as this screenshots suggesting. This screenshots true lens is highly zoomed to notice this difference but in nature, it is much better and the difference is not that big. But even 8K has better picture compared to Vive PRO and Odyssey.

We need a more detailed comparison for the final decision.

That video was done with a Steam VR SS of 300%.

Is that even reasonable to think one could play a game like DCS in that high a SS ratio in an already higher resolution device?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Really he's just the wrong guy to give an opinion on DCS. I was really hoping Jabbers would get one.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

SLI has never been supported. I wouldn't hold my breath.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

What's the word on multi GPU support for VR? According to nvidia it shouldn't be that hard to implement since DCS is DX11 now (caveat: I am not a software dev) https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/vrsli

SLI has never been supported. I wouldn't hold my breath.

That is one of the biggest ED fail and it is only ED responsibility.

I can't figure out why they didn't do anything about it when this outdated engine desperately needs for more hardware resources.

Such support will be made DCS more popular among FS comunity. That is one of the biggest reason why most of the players from Il2 didn't switch to DCS who is a better sim but Il2 works better without many problems. DCS even on the best GPU has significantly lower performances.

With proper SLI/CF you will get better performances with 2x RX580 in CF than with RTX 2080TI in just 40% of the RTX 2080TI price or better 2xGTX 1080 in SLI for just 65% price than RTX 2080TI with significant better performances.

What do you need more affordable and more performance. Only who is losing here is Nvidia.

the company producing the product will always say that. it helps sell.

the reality is, there are not many software titles that support it or get a boost from it.

Problem is somewhere else. In a time when SLI and CF were introduced was better and more logic pricing among GPUs. Todays GPUs are to priced and you will not get 50% more performances for 50% higher price.

Today RTX 2080ti vs GTX 1080ti in performances is around 30% but the price is high over 100%.

If SLI works properly who will buy new GPU for that price when with two 1080ti will get much higher performances for less money?

Disabling SLI on 1060 and now on 2070 proving what is real intention with SLI/NV Link.

What's the word on multi GPU support for VR? According to nvidia it shouldn't be that hard to implement since DCS is DX11 now (caveat: I am not a software dev) https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/vrsli

This hinges on VRWorks, a framework ED will not use.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I have been waiting for Vulkan to implement SLI, followed by DCS implementing Vulkan. Hopefully that's still a thing.

I'm not sure about SLI in Vulkan. Vulkan is based on AMD technology so I expect AMD card could benefit from it.

But that is not bad for Nvidia fans because looks like new RTX 20xx cards are based on Vulcan technology what prove high performances gain on Vulcan so maybe NV Link will function then as well.

SLI is a pipe dream.

I know, but I can hope. I am not really up on the details, just piecing together the following information.I am probably missing the showstopper somewhere.

https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

https://www.khronos.org/blog/vulkan-multi-gpu-support-not-just-for-windows-10

Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API. This is a very new technology for us, and it is quite possible that we will run into unforeseen issues during that phase. DCS World uses many complicated shaders that may not necessarily play nice with the Vulkan API.

Thanks!

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Tom's Hardware Review of the Pimax 5k+ M2 Pre-Production Headset.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pimax-5k-m2-headset-vr,5818-2.html

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

And a comment from Wags about the video

Most exciting thing I have read in a while.

Would so love to see some VR optimizations.

Don B

Most exciting thing I have read in a while.

Would so love to see some VR optimizations.

I'll say! Hip hip, hooray! :pilotfly:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I gave a quick look at the video. One thing I noticed is that one of the parameters is SteamSS - 80% I assume this is the supersampling parameter you can set in steam. Does this mean that the video was actually done at a resolution lower than the the headsets capability (ie. SS=1.0)? If so that may be a little misleading with regards to the expected performance with a 1080ti and this headset