Ka-50 button lights fix for DAYTIME missions in DCS 2.5

Fix for the textures of the cockpit button lights that don't work currently in DCS 2.5. For both English and Russian (default) cockpits. This also includes a fix for the HUD and windows opaqueness that increases when the sun is low behind the aircraft:

---------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

At night the button lights are still too faint, specially if you use low gamma values. Recommended leaving DCS gamma at the default value of 2.2, but at night, away from city lights, it's still faint. I believe it's due to these button lights not behaving as light sources, but instead as regular surfaces that don't emit light, only reflect. So this mod make it brighter as long as there's some ambient light present, but in total darkness it's still not visible...

ATTENTION: If you use the provided modified .json file, DCS updates rewrite this file back to un-modified version, so you'll have to manually copy the modded file again if you want to continue using it after each DCS update.

Last version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n982shihw1zltn4/Ka_50_cockpit_fix_1.1.zip?dl=0

Original version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bilu2n4lo3nwhxx/Ka_50_cockpit_fix.zip?dl=0

(click on the "Download" button on the upper right corner of the screen)

---------------------------------------------------

Please let me know of you encounter any problems or glitches. The installation instructions are included. Files are installed on the Users folder, so it doesn't actually change original DCS files, and you activate/deactivate the mod through the in-game Options > Special > Ka-50 screen. You also choose between English or Default (russian) cockpit versions.

Feedback is welcome... Thanks!

Edited by PeaceSells

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Installation path should be C:\Users\<User Name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\Cockpit_Ka-50\Default with cockpit fix

Don't forget those who don't have Windows on C: drive and those who have DCS stable branch instead of DCs openbeta...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

This did not work for me

Currenlty it's not ideal for night time or low gamma values... do you mind telling if you are flying at day or at night, and what gamma value you have set in the Options > System screen?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

UPDATE:

Managed to squeeze some more brightness from these button lights by editing the .json file (see first post for new download link), but it's still not good for total darkness. At day or even at dark times, as long as it isn't totally dark (at night and away from city lights, for example) it's very visible. It seems that those button lights currently behave reflecting ambient light, instead of emitting light themselves, so you're good as long as you have some ambient light.

I also recommend using the default gamma of 2.2. Besides this lights problem, values lower than 2.2 make ground vehicles look completely dark on their side that don't face the sun directly. AFAIK, gamma of 2.2 is kind of a convention agreed beyond DCS, intended to provide more realistic visuals (and I don't mean prettier visuals). I know DCS tends to look prettier at lower gamma (usually), but remember realism...

Edited by PeaceSells

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

That's why I gave up working on this issue. There're missing maps for Ka-50 to reflect and emit lights.

Luckily ED is working on whole cockpit.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Yeah, but in the mean time you can fly during the day with this fix... Which for me is enough, because I don't fly the Ka-50 at night... (AFAIK the Ka-50 was not designed for night combat anyway).

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

DCS update replaces the modded .json file with the original one again, so, in ordert to continue using it, copy the modded file again to the correct directory (as instructed in the Readme file).

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just what I was looking for ! Nice work on these lights, really necessary while waiting for ED to correct this.

I'm french (nobody's perfect :smilewink:) so don't be too hard with my english :thumbup:

FC3 | A-10C | Mirage 2000C | F/A-18 | KA-50 | UH-1H | Mi-8 | Combined Arms

• 5 weeks later...

As its still not corrected by ED to date, i downloaded this and it works perfectly.

Good job

Thank you

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic, 

• 2 weeks later...