Editing Aircraft Flight Models

SilentEagle

AI made flyable aircraft have working arrestor hooks. You'll be able to create new aircraft, but a brand new flight model won't work correctly no matter how much you tweak the sfm lua's.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

That was true in FC1, FC2 the hooks do work, every time...

No. And ED have refused to release how to make them work. I know some squad has been begging for it.

What do you mean? How refused?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

But did they refuse in PM or official statement? If no you can't say they refused something ;]

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

"Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\SFM_Engine.lua"

Where is the engine data for the standard flight models kept? I cant seem to find any mention of thurst or anything for any of the standard aircraft, just weight etc.

cheers

Also should mention that the weight you can edit in the aircraft's lua file is only a reference for the game's encyclopedia and does not actually change the weight of the aircraft...that is part of the encrypted fundamental data and cannot be changed.

Blaze, I'v always find the ED team to be exceedingly helpful. Is there any chance you misconstrued their message? For example, the fact that the variables have complex interactions that are not simple to predict rather than them having no effect?

I used to think changing the variables had little to no effect but found out I had to be careful to always re-load the game or cached values would be used. I'm not saying you are wrong at all, just that it is easy to think adjustments don't work if the old values are cached at program start-up (this didn't used to be required in FC1).

nb. The encyclopedia information (with weights) is located at:

BlackShark\data\scripts\Enc\Plane/<aircraft.txt>

I didn't say that changing the values in the SFM lua's would have no effect. I merely meant that without being able to adjust the fundamental data that those lua files simply "tweak", you will not be able to make an accurate FM for whatever you're making it for. It will either be close or worse.

"Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\SFM_Engine.lua"

Also should mention that the weight you can edit in the aircraft's lua file is only a reference for the game's encyclopedia and does not actually change the weight of the aircraft...that is part of the encrypted fundamental data and cannot be changed.

It only mentions data for A10 F15 etc in that file though? What about the rest of the aircraft?

Not in there. The SFM files were created to tweak the data in the encrypted files, and those were the only ones that ED tweaked. The rest you cannot get to. You can add in new entries and create FM's for the existing aircraft, but you cannot obtain the original FM data for them, so basically you'll have to completely rewrite them from scratch.