Side stick vs Centre stick...

ScottyBS

Just watching the cockpit famil video - didn’t realise the F16 was a side stick confit as opposed to centre ... would be interested to hear what the design/ergonomic/hmi benefits of the different configurations are - why is the f18 centre and f16 side? Anybody flown actual aircraft have thoughts on the +/- of them.

Thanks

Scott

Just watching the cockpit famil video - didn’t realise the F16 was a side stick confit as opposed to centre ... would be interested to hear what the design/ergonomic/hmi benefits of the different configurations are - why is the f18 centre and f16 side? Anybody flown actual aircraft have thoughts on the +/- of them.

Thanks

Scott

Because it is a relatively small cockpit, but primarily due to the lack of movement from the stick - being a pressure command stick rather than input command stick.

The F-35A/B are also a side stick, FYI.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

If I recall, the F-16 is a pressure/input hybrid stick because the first F-16 flyers apparently freaked out when they are getting no physical input from the stick.

And also, isn't the side stick configuration provide less of a left turn bias compared to a center stick where it is easier to pull left than right with a center stick.

If I recall, the F-16 is a pressure/input hybrid stick because the first F-16 flyers apparently freaked out when they are getting no physical input from the stick.

And also, isn't the side stick configuration provide less of a left turn bias compared to a center stick where it is easier to pull left than right with a center stick.

The actual "control" is handled just by pressure sensors.

The stick moves very slightly just to give some kind of feedback to the pilots but has no mechanical connection to the FCS / control surfaces as far as i know

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

It's not really a pressure stick. It still moves but just not as a much as a standard stick. Rafale and F-35 for example have the same. Some pilots told me that stick location didn't matter to them. My personal view on this is that side stick is better, not only does it allow for a more neutral body position which helps comfort, but also I find you can make more clean and precise stick movement with it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would love someone like Thrustmaster to make a pressure stick like that. Would be alot of R&D for a limited market though.

Real Simulator has been making force sensor replacements for the TM Cougar for quite a few years now and also replacement force sensors and F-16 joystick handles for the Warthog.

http://realsimulator.com/

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Real Simulator has been making force sensor replacements for the TM Cougar for quite a few years now and also replacement force sensors and F-16 joystick handles for the Warthog.

http://realsimulator.com/

Yup and they are excellent.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It's not really a pressure stick. It still moves but just not as a much as a standard stick. Rafale and F-35 for example have the same. Some pilots told me that stick location didn't matter to them. My personal view on this is that side stick is better, not only does it allow for a more neutral body position which helps comfort, but also I find you can make more clean and precise stick movement with it.

I don’t know where you get this info. But it’s incorrect. The F-16 stick input are based around force not stick movement. The stick does move a small amount, but that is more of a byproduct of the force being applied then anything else.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It's not really a pressure stick. It still moves but just not as a much as a standard stick.

The Viper's stick moves because they've added a little amount of movement into it. In the early days it didn't move at all, which pilots found to be both weird and also that it made it far too easy to input unwanted commands.

And the stick-movement has absolutely NOTHING to do with flightcontrol-input. Pressure-sensing rather than translating stick-movement into flightcontrol-actuation.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I don’t know where you get this info. But it’s incorrect. The F-16 stick input are based around force not stick movement. The stick does move a small amount, but that is more of a byproduct of the force being applied then anything else.

Yes I know, that's what I meant. Sorry I guess I worded my message poorly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting

I'm not being paid for this, but I do recommend the FSSB by Realsimulator. After time in an F-16C Full Mission Trainer (FMT), the FSSB feels just like the real thing.

Thanks

Hi Wags,

Is this the thing you are talking about?

http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_lighting.html

FSSB R3 Lighting

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Side stick vs Centre stick...

I can’t say enough good things about the FSSB R3 base. If you want a force sensing base for joystick, this is the one. It uses the same connection socket as Thrustmaster and Virpil, so widespread compatibility with different joysticks is a plus.

Their new F-16 stick is also excellent. The hardware is top notched and is my current favorite stick. The only negative right now is the Bluetooth connection which is very picky and requires specific dongles to work flawlessly, but they’re making it such that users won’t need Bluetooth for full operation in the near future. The software side is still evolving and will need some more fine tuning, but will be fairly intuitive and powerful in the end.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I'm not being paid for this, but I do recommend the FSSB by Realsimulator. After time in an F-16C Full Mission Trainer (FMT), the FSSB feels just like the real thing.

Thanks

Having tested their products in 2003, and even featured on their website with using their rudder pedals back then, I agree, they are excellent quality.

That is one evening I will not forget in a hurry, with the team from Real Simulator and a few of us from Frugal's Forums, including Mark, getting the lowdown on what they were making.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Thanks

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

Thanks

100% agree.... I have been using one for about a month now and it is simply awesome. So looking foreword to the Viper and using this setup...

It’s not a byproduct of the force being applied. It is designed to move a specific amount.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

..didn’t realise the F16 was a side stick confit as opposed to centre ... would be interested to hear what the design/ergonomic/hmi benefits of the different configurations are - why is the f18 centre and f16 side?

I've flown planes with side and center sticks IRL and you get used to both versions very quickly.

In one of the most interesting books about the F/A-18 (and highly recommended), Hornet, the inside story of the F/A-18 by Orr Kelly, he mentions that they decided for the center stick because you can turn further to the left than with the stick mounted on the right side.

AFAIR that's one of the reasons for the towel racks in the F-16.

Btw, FBW doesn't have anything to do with it. The oldest plane with a side stick I flew was a simply GA plane which had been designed in the late 1950s.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Yes - the F-16 uses 133% for roll with left higher than right as you say, and 185% for pitch.

So for pitch for example - the max pull is 37 lbs, but the max push is only 20 lbs.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maximum noseup and nosedown pitch commands are generated by 25 and 16 pounds of input, respectively. Roll commands are generated by a maximum of 17 pounds in cruise gains and by 12 pounds in takeoff and landing gains. When using the switches/buttons on the stick, inadvertent

inputs to the FLCS are possible.

Upon landing, at high speed and prior to NLG WOW, forward stick pressure in excess of approximately 2 pounds results in full trailing edge down deflection of the horizontal tails. This horizontal tail deflection reduces wheel braking effectiveness. At high speeds in the three-point attitude, forward stick results in excessive loads on the NLG which can lead to nose tire failure and possibly cause structural failure of the NLG.

During some autopilot mode, Attitude corrections can be initiated through the control stick steering by applying force to the side stick controller. Roll attitude may be changed by exerting a lateral force exceeding 2 pounds. When the new reference attitude is attained, release the side stick controller. To correct pitch attitude, a longitudinal force exceeding 3 pounds shall be applied. To temporarily decouple all autopilot inputs to the control system, depress paddle switch on the side stick controller. Release of the paddle switch reestablishes autopilot hold mode references and the heading command on the HSI.

Rudder pedals, A high-gradient feel spring provides the pilot with artificial rudder feel. A force proportional to the amount of rudder deflection is required on the rudder pedals. The rudder pedal force is 15 pounds at breakout and approximately 110 pounds at maximum deflection.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Thanks

Scott

So far what I've read through various articles and interviews of pilots who flew the viper, the side-stick configuration of the F-16, combined with its right forearm-armest and the bubble canopy, is called a "wonder in ergonomics".

In combination with the side sticks armrest, a pilot is able to withstand the enormous g-force in a bird like the viper (round about 9 G's) much better and the stick stays controllable more precisely.

After many years of usiing a center stick position at my home cockpit configuration, I even have changed my TM Warthog stick from center position to the right side.

And after a certain time of adaptation (most was just obtaining a new "mind-set" :smilewink:) I can only come to this verdict:

Even as a stick player it feels more natural; your seat-stance becomes more stable/releaxed. The shoulder-blade gets laid up plain on the seat - in consequence the thorax gets more open and the breath deepens.

I've combined my new configuration with a kind of "armrest", and as a result my stick imputs became more precise - pitch AND roll !

Additional positive side-effect: now I have room for my keyboard in front of me :thumbup: - highly recommended.

All the best.

PS: Because of all these advantages, most (if not all) of todays modern fighter jets offer a right side stick configuration in their cockpits.

Edited by NevSmith

Because of all these advantages, most (if not all) of todays modern fighter jets offer a right side stick configuration in their cockpits.

That's more a question of design philosophy than being an actual advantage. E.g. the Typhoon and the Su-57 both have a conventional stick layout.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070