Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS not recognized

GreatWhiteHype

New guy so please keep the flames to a minimum if possible. I have been playing flight sims for a long time, the whole Microprose F-15 Series, Tornado, EF2000, F-22 TAW, SU-27, etc. I had the original TQS controllers as well. So yes, I am weathered. I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS and I want to get my Hog off the ground and get back in the fight. Trouble is, my throttle is not recognized in the game but is recognized in the TARGET (Z axis) program. I hope it is a simple thing I am overlooking. Any help would be great. I am running WIN7 64bit and used the Vista64 drivers to solve the USB in/out problem. Hope to join you all soon. I searched the forums to no avail.

GWH:thumbup:

Welcome, GWH.

First, some questions for you:

1. Do you run a TARGET profile before running DCS World?
  2. When you go into the Options->Controls menu, do you see the Cougar or the Thrustmaster Root Controller?
  3. Do you have any other game controllers attached to your PC? This isn't just joysticks, but steering wheels, MFDs, and gamepads.

If you don't use a TARGET profile, you should see Thrustmaster Cougar in the Options->Controls menu. If you do use a TARGET profile, you should see Thrustmaster Root Controller. Windows (and therefore DCS) sees them as different controllers, so you want to make sure you use the same controller setup every time you run DCS.

If you do see the controller in the Controls menu, then make sure the throttle is mapped properly. Go to "Axis Assignments" select the Throttle row in your Thrustmaster column, then move the throttle to get it to recognize the Z axis.

If you have any other controllers attached, clear the axes you don't use, or else they will interfere with your Cougar.

If you also have the Cougar MFDs, you may want to check out my DCS World TARGET script, which allows you to switch between multiple aircraft/modules (including the A-10C) on the fly.

Finally, be sure you're not running a Foxy profile underneath TARGET (though this doesn't sound like the issue here).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Home Fries

Thank you for the quick response. I do not run a TARGET profile and I do see my Thrustmaster under my device manager. When I went back into DCS I was able to select both engines and it says joyslider1 and joyZ. My throttle now works! Although my MAN RNG/CAG also controls my throttle as does my Z axis. Trying to figure that one out so I do not have to things controlling my engines. Next step is to get my microstick to work so I can not have to be so reliant on my mouse. Any ideas? Excited to be here and thank you for the help.

Here's how I have my Cougar set up (though I do use a TARGET profile):

Screen_131217_035426_zps13ba075d.jpg

Note that the microstick is set to HOTAS Slew Horizontal/Vertical; you really don't want to use your microstick for the mouse since you need the slew controls, and you want the precision of a regular mouse.

You will also want to map the Cougar buttons to the HOTAS buttons in the game. The stick is pretty straightforward, but the throttle will take some doing. The way I do it is use S3 as a modifier button (set that up in DCS), and then I use S3+H3 for the Coolie Hat, S3+H4U/D for the China Hat, Dogfight switch for the boat switch, and Comm switch for the MIC switch. I used TARGET to create a digital axis for the Man Rng (used for the throttle pinky switch), but you can live without that.

GWH --

Also, you can monitor the Warthog axis positions from within the sim with RCntrl-Enter.

I use the Warthog but not TARGET. This link has the DCS A-10C Sim Options I use for the controls --

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3360395/DCS_A_10C_Warthog_Cougar_Joyst#Post3360395

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Thank you

Thank you all for the responses it has really helped me. I thought I might get flamed as other websites hammer you for not going through all 1000 forum pages to find an answer to your question that was answered a year or so ago.

Thank you for the heads up on not using my microstick, saves me some time. I am still really new to all this so it is going to take me some time to get it going the way I like it. The screenshots really help. Take care guys.

Thank you all for the responses it has really helped me. I thought I might get flamed as other websites hammer you for not going through all 1000 forum pages to find an answer to your question that was answered a year or so ago.

Well if it helps you get acquainted, you can get all the flames you like. :D

But seriously, this is usually a really friendly and helpful crowd. :thumbup:

Questions relating to the TM Cougar can usually be found in the Input and Output subforum (chances are this thread will be moved there by a moderator).

With a bit of luck, a quick search in that forum will help you find an answer quickly. If it doesn't, just ask around and don't worry about getting flamed at. We've all been newbies once and we know just how overwhelming it is to get started with a new flight sim. :)

• 5 years later...

So I dusted off my Cougar and the stick works but the TQS (throttle) is not detected, not the axis nor any buttons?

Thoughts please?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

So I dusted off my Cougar and the stick works but the TQS (throttle) is not detected, not the axis nor any buttons? Thoughts please?

Did you plug it in the stick base? :) Check the connector, maybe it's dusty or something.

Where is it not recognized? DCS or in Windows? Try running that HOTASConfig (or HOTASView directly) program which came with the Cougar software and see if it's visible there.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

So I dusted off my Cougar and the stick works but the TQS (throttle) is not detected, not the axis nor any buttons?

Thoughts please?

Did you install the Cougar drivers? ... if not, windows will try to configure it as a standard joystick and will not see the throttle.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Drivers are installed. No sim sees the TQS nor does the CCP nor the joystick analyzer. Thanks for the thoughts so far. I also took the TQS cover off and ensured the pot wires are connected and the cabling is secure.

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Drivers are installed. ... I also took the TQS cover off and ensured the pot wires are connected and the cabling is secure.

Take the stick cover off too, to check the other end of the cable .. you will have to unscrew the stick’s circuit board in order to check the connections.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Take the stick cover off too, to check the other end of the cable .. you will have to unscrew the stick’s circuit board in order to check the connections.

Done sir already. Cheers.

Faulty pot, replaced, fixed.

And that blocked the buttons from working as well?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!