Side stick vs Centre stick...

ScottyBS

That's more a question of design philosophy than being an actual advantage. E.g. the Typhoon and the Su-57 both have a conventional stick layout.

Well, below someone can read quotes from a real Fighter-Pilot who flew both jets, the F/A-18 AND the Viper/F-16:

The Viper's side stick and throttle are marvels of ergonomie design.

Flying a side-stick control takes a while to get used to, but once you do, it's a joy.

The conformal stick's shape feels very natural (it fits in the hand like a melted candy bar), and it allows easy access to nine of the 16 HOTAS controls.

Two fully adjustable forearm rests on the right cockpit bulkhead stabilize and isolate the pilot's arm and wrist, so when rattling around the cockpit during turbulence or going after the bad guy, the pilot's arm won't accidentally move and initiate unwanted control inputs.

source:

http://www.72ndvfw.org/forum/m/5688083/viewthread/20557312-f16-vs-f18-from-pilot-who-drives-both

Edited by NevSmith

Well, below someone can read quotes from a real Fighter-Pilot who flew both jets, the F/A-18 AND the Viper/F-16:

Apparently a single pilots opinion doesn't necessarily change a companies design philosophy ;)

The side stick turbulence argument is nonsense since every yoke and stick requires quite a bit of force to be moved for that very reason.

E.g. with a center stick you can fly with either the left or right hand while the other hand operates various other controls.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Well I would say there is a trend for sidestick controls in general, commercial and military aviation. But I also agree that it is mainly a subject of design philosophy. In an airliner or a bizjet crew comfort is the main advantage I think, for fighter jets there are both advantages and disadvantages for each configuration. The Eurofighter is build with a center stick without force feedback and it works well.

• ED Team

Hi all

please be nice to each other when posting.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have fssb r3 and i think force sensing sticks are mounted to the side because you primarily use your fingertips to steer so a supported static underarm makes fine adjustment easier.

Its really only good for fly by wire planes. Helicopters f.ex are almost impossible.

Space Combat games are possible but your hand will get quite the workout

I've read (so take it with a grain of salt) that one argument for center stick is that it provides a smidgen more support for flying one handed (if, you are injured for e.g.). Even if true, probably less of a concern now than WW2 -era due to type of damage incurred in the modern era.

In the desktop sim world, sidestick makes for a more compact setup for sure. However, the 20cm extension can only be used on a center stick, and that 20cm extension gives you a lot more control and precision for the constant small microinputs/corrections you need when flying helos. Or the F-14B for that matter! Just my 2C non-real world opinion ...

E.g. with a center stick you can fly with either the left or right hand while the other hand operates various other controls.

From using the FSSB that would prob be the main disadvantage and thing I have had to work around the most.

In VR I can swap to my left hand to fly and turn right around to my right to look behind me with a ctr-mounted stick, however with the side-stick the ability to swap hands isn't really possible (I have tried!) and your ability to turn and look behind you is greatly reduced due to having to keep your right hand out beside your thigh.

Obviously it limits how far you can turn to the left in your seat also as you still need to reach the side-stick with your right hand - whereas before due to it being in the ctr you could turn your upper body a lot further.

As far as using controls - with so much being on the HOTAS and the ICP is operated by the left hand also, that isn't such a big deal.

Just my 0.02c

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why do you want to grip the stick with the left hand? Also in F/A-18 and others it is made to be held with right, left handed it does not make sence. And if you are sitting in an F-16 you understand very fast why the layout is as it is. On the video it looks big, but it is extreme small there. Youi have the control of the jet on the right hand, and on the right side there are no really important panels or switches you would need much. Most of them can be used my using the AP. And all the combat stuff is located on left side. If you have your hands on the throttle you are even able to use switches and knobs without putting your hands off the grip. CMDS function and so on can be used while hand on the throttle. ICP inputs are extreme fast by using you left hand, jus a few cm above the throttle. You even do not have to look at the ICP during making inputs because you can make them blind. Same with switches. If you once have learned where a switch is located and which type of head he has you do not need to look at those stuff. You can look out the whole time, having the stick on the right hand and do all the inputs with left… switching MFDßs and so on, all can be done with left. That is why a lot of gauges are mounted right and switches left ;)

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

Regarding the F-16 my only problem with the Hotas is its movement, it uses pressure which is extremely dangerous, if it had more movement then it would be safer to use. It does not matter if its centre or side stick.:joystick:

Is this opinion directed at the translation of a pressure sensitive fly by wire side stick in game to your physical HOTAS setup for your rig or the control setup in real life of the real F-16?

System: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo / Ryzen 5900X / 128gb Trident Z 3600mHz / ASUS TUF X570 / Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO / Asus Tuf RTX 3080ti / Asus Rog 1000w PSU / TM Warthog + TM Pedals

Modules/Terrains: All but the Mig-19, MB-339, P-47, I-16, CE II, and Yak-52

IRL: USAF F-16C AGR Crew Chief / Private Pilot

Regarding the F-16 my only problem with the Hotas is its movement, it uses pressure which is extremely dangerous, if it had more movement then it would be safer to use. It does not matter if its centre or side stick.:joystick:

:huh: What?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I've been flying side stick in my sims for years. Love it that way.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I wonder what he's pushing with the left hand that required him this quite unnatural position

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Pedal turn

9zbi8FrtczA?start=268

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I wonder what he's pushing with the left hand that required him this quite unnatural position

Looks like he is adjusting the camera to look forward and the back again to me.

In the video you can see:

Left hand moves to stick (moving whatever knob / device is mounted there - additionally to the stick maybe) Camera pans forward and the backwards. Left hand returns to throttle...

Thats what it looks like for me.

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

Looks like he is adjusting the camera to look forward and the back again to me.

In the video you can see:

Left hand moves to stick (moving whatever knob / device is mounted there - additionally to the stick maybe) Camera pans forward and the backwards. Left hand returns to throttle...

Thats what it looks like for me.

Not really. Please look at the video mvsgas had posted where the pilot is explaining what he is doing. He is using his left hand to help with pulling and keeping stick in the desired max deflection. Real control stick has much greater force needed than what we use in games (most joystick have max force what is the breakout force in a real plane :) ) and to go beyond the soft stop it requires excees of 10kgf.

... and to go beyond the soft stop it requires excees of 10kgf.

That's quite a pull :joystick:

it's really eye opening to see the actual physical "struggle" a pilot has to go in some maneuvers, something we can only imagine while playing TopGun in our favorite FlightSim

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

it's really eye opening to see the actual physical "struggle" a pilot has to go in some maneuvers, something we can only imagine while playing TopGun in our favorite FlightSim

I believe that many flightsim pilots underestimate the force required to move the controls IRL.

E.g. in the early 1950s the maximum force to apply full rudder was limited to 180lbs and this has been changed later to 'only' 150lbs.

Can you imagine how tiring it is to fly e.g. one engine out with that kind of force required, not for a few seconds, but a few minutes?

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I believe that many flightsim pilots underestimate the force required to move the controls IRL.

E.g. in the early 1950s the maximum force to apply full rudder was limited to 180lbs and this has been changed later to 'only' 150lbs.

Can you imagine how tiring it is to fly e.g. one engine out with that kind of force required, not for a few seconds, but a few minutes?

That is what rudder trim is for :thumbup:.

Yes the pilot is all over the trim at engine failure, but they quickly wind in the appropriate rudder trim and that takes care of most of it. In the case of a double engine failure on one side there may not be enough trim, but the additional rudder required is not that bad depending on the control system assistance.

The fun part was when we had a rudder booster hydraulic failure combined with a critical engine out during take-off (so full power required to climb away) and you watch the pilots get the old leg-shake holding in correct rudder till they get a chance to take their hand off the controls to wind in the trim.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]