Warthog - suggesion for TrackIR buttons

Andy t

I just got Warthog HOTAS and trying to figure out the best location/mapping for TrackIr On/Off and Recenter buttons.

I would appreciate some example mappings that others are using.

Prior to Warthog, I was using CH Pro Throttle and used the inboard and middle button on the throttle body.

It depends on the plane. I try to replicate the plane's hotas functions as much as possible, so it depends on what's left available. For example on the a-10c I use MSU short press for recenter and long press for pause. On the f-18 I use TMS up for recenter and down for pause.

Maybe a dumb question here, but why the need to turn on/off during a flight?

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

I am more comfortable with using the hat to control views, I actually get a little neck strain trying to keep my head in the right position for track ir. For regular flight, I prefer to have the track ir off and use the hat to control views.

I am more comfortable with using the hat to control views, I actually get a little neck strain trying to keep my head in the right position for track ir. For regular flight, I prefer to have the track ir off and use the hat to control views.

Mind blown, here. Then what exactly do you use TrackIR for?

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

F9 Freezes it in place, orange light shows up. hit it again and it comes back to life.

The recenter could be helpful, i think i saw something in track IR to make it mapped to a button. IIRC, i think f12 re-centers. but dont take my word for it

Edited by Sneak_King18

yeah, i can see that happening. possibly try adjusting the speed? takes less head movement to give you more movement on screen. when i do dogfighting practice, i adjust the speed higher so im not throwing my head all over the place. sure my fiance loves watching me with my headphones on throwing my head all over the place lol

Another issue that I noticed: track ir intermittently stops tracking - this also happens in track ir app itself, and I have to throw my head around to get it to pick up tracking. I saw a few threads and trying a number of things. But that's another reason why I favor manual view controls

Another issue that I noticed: track ir intermittently stops tracking - this also happens in track ir app itself, and I have to throw my head around to get it to pick up tracking. I saw a few threads and trying a number of things. But that's another reason why I favor manual view controls

Yea sounds like you really need to adjust first of all your angle of the camera and second your TIR profile so that you can confortably reach all extremes of virtual head movement, without displacing your real neck. I had used TIR for a while and it was fine, but after I made a profile adapted for me and my setup, total game changer.

I use VoiceAttack to control TrackIR (as well as most other functions). Works beautifully. Much better to leave your HOTAS as close as possible to the real thing - the less keys you have mapped the less likely you are to have "finger trouble" in a stressful situation! :)

Yes, F12 is the default re-center button. I need to set it to something else though as I can barely reach F12 w/o moving my head.

AndyT look behind you for bright sunlight. Sometimes I have to hang a towel on the front door because a blast of sunlight comes through the window and shines on the floor/wall behind me. I think the sensor picks this up and the screen goes crazy. Also, I have set 7-8 degrees of head movement before the screen moves. See this screen shot.

49351118006_0011a66295_z.jpgTrackIR setup by craig stuard, on Flickr

Look over to the right in the small chart labelled 6DOF at the yaw values. See how RAW is 7.2 and GAME is 0.2? That means my head moved 7.2 deg and the affect in the game is 0.2 degrees. Now look over to the left where you can see the yaw curve. You can move the small circles around to change the shape of the curve. For the ones close to the center, I hit the green UP arrow a couple of times, move the circles, and then hit the down arrow. How far up and down you move the overall curve, and how much of the curve is below the dotted horizontal line, affects how much dead zone you have in the center. With this setup, I have about 14 degrees of deadzone (7 to the right + 7 to the left) and enough movement that I can see straight behind the plane by moving my head a little over 90 degrees to either side. For me TIR was an absolute game changer. One other advantage is that I freed up a hat switch on my stick that I now use for aircraft trim.

• 3 months later...

Just perusing TrackIR threads and came across this today. For me, I found that using the mini-stick press for re-centering TrackIR and the camera view in DCS works best, although you have to make sure that you assign the command in TrackIR and in each module, i.e. F-18, F-14, etc. For freezing TrackIR, I use the mic switch press and then for Push To Talk I use mic switch up for Team Speak, SRS and Voice Activated Commands (DWVAC). I use mic switch FWD for Comm1, mic switch AFT for Comm2, and mic switch Down for Comm3.

I've never had a problem with freezing. So I wonder if there is a correlation regarding the clip? Does it happen with both active and passive? I use active (pro clip).

W/ my wife working from home I notice another problem w/ TrackIR going nuts if she walks through the room behind me. Haven't pinned down whether color of her clothing makes a difference or not but some times it must pick her up, so my view goes nuts for a couple of seconds and then stops at some weird angle. Wagging my head brings it back.