TARGET problem...

Donut

I have a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle and I am trying to assign a keypress to an axis, specifically the scroll wheel on the side and the ministick. I believe I have figured out how to do it in the TARGET GUI, but when I run the script, it doesn't seem to work. The script runs without errors. It looks like a combined controller is created but when I test it, there is no response from any input on the throttle. In DCS , the throttle works fine, but I am using bindings under the TWCS column and not the combined controller.

Any tips or suggestions?

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

The script runs without errors. It looks like a combined controller is created but when I test it, there is no response from any input on the throttle. In DCS , the throttle works fine, but I am using bindings under the TWCS column and not the combined controller.

You shouldn't be able to map in the TWCS category, as the device should be hidden when you run the script. The fact it doesn't mean you have a problem. Apparently it can be due to windows store, see here.

In my experience it also happen when one install the target software while Target compatible device are connected to the PC, please see my post here on reddit.

PS : Once that problem will be solved* please share your script so we can check it.

Edited by Ant0ine

You shouldn't be able to map in the TWCS category, as the device should be hidden when you run the script. The fact it doesn't mean you have a problem. Apparently it can be due to windows store, see here.

In my experience it also happen when one install the target software while Target compatible device are connected to the PC, please see my post here on reddit.

PS : Once that problem will be problem please share your script so we can check it.

Oh boy, why does this have to be so complicated!?

Okay, so I delete TARGET and Windows Store, unplug all Thrustmaster devices, reinstall TARGET, plug everything back in, then try again...

Okay, so I got it to work thanks to the helpful tips from Ant0ine; however, I have to map the hats on the throttle in TARGET as it won't let me in DCS. I am running into the problem that the 8 way hat on the throttle is only recognized as a 4 way...and tips for this?

Okay, so I got it to work thanks to the helpful tips from Ant0ine; however, I have to map the hats on the throttle in TARGET as it won't let me in DCS. I am running into the problem that the 8 way hat on the throttle is only recognized as a 4 way...and tips for this?

I just map 4 as it seems too hard just trying to hit the up right - up left etc.

Edited by txmtb

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

IIRC the 8 ways show in Target as 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 - you need to map each one to get all eight.

I just map 4 as it seems too hard just trying to hit the up right - up left etc.

Could you be a little more specific, I am not seeing anything listed as 0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...

I am using the GUI, I click on the 8 way hat in the 3D view of the throttle and there are only 4 positions available, up, down, left, right.

Another option would be to use the ministick as an 8 way and assign 8 key presses to each direction, but I can't figure this out either.

Thank you for the help.

Edited by =BJM=

Could you be a little more specific, I am not seeing anything listed as 0, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...

I am using the GUI, I click on the 8 way hat in the 3D view of the throttle and there are only 4 positions available, up, down, left, right.

Thank you for the help.

My bad, missed the GUI part, I use it in script mode so it's different. The GUI is only capable of 4 way

And I didn't recall correctly either, the names in the script are:

H1UL

H1U

H1UR

H1R

H1DR

H1D

H1DL

H1L

It's hard to get all 8 ways to work efficiently but in the script to just do one set of 2 would be something like:

MapKey(&Joystick, H1U, TEMPO( 0,
    EXEC(
        "if (Joystick[H1L]) ActKey(KEYON+'8');"        
         "else if (!Joystick[H1R]) ActKey(KEYON+'1');"    
    ),
    100) 
);

Edited by txmtb

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

My bad, missed the GUI part, I use it in script mode so it's different. The GUI is only capable of 4 way

And I didn't recall correctly either, the names in the script are:

H1UL

H1U

H1UR

H1R

H1DR

H1D

H1DL

H1L

It's hard to get all 8 ways to work efficiently but in the script to just do one set of 2 would be something like:

MapKey(&Joystick, H1U, TEMPO( 0,
    EXEC(
        "if (Joystick[H1L]) ActKey(KEYON+'8');"        
         "else if (!Joystick[H1R]) ActKey(KEYON+'1');"    
    ),
    100) 
);

Thank you for the help. I have no experience with the script editor,.but I may need to learn in order to accomplish what I need.

Does the ministick have 8 directions that can be mapped as well?

I don't use the GUI, but I looked to see, and I don't see anything to map an 8-way hat either. I did a search of the manual for "8-way" and didn't find anything.

Thanks for looking and confirming what I am seeing. It's a mystery as to why Thrustmaster doesn't allow the full mapping of it's own controls.

All you have to do is map 4 positions. The software will handle the diagonal. And make sure to select Hold as type.

ZcyYq3M.png

Note that you must remap almost all the other button as the default mapping isn't complete.

According to target.tmh only "simple" button are remapped by default :

int TWCSThrottleMap[] = {TBTN1, DX1, TBTN2, DX2, TBTN3, DX3, TBTN4, DX4, TBTN5, DX5};

Edited by Ant0ine

All you have to do is map 4 positions. The software will handle the diagonal. And make sure to select Hold as type.

Hmm, I don't think I understand...I have 8 separate key presses that I need to map, so I need more than just 4 positions and be able to assign the diagnals as well. I am using it for Jester with the Tomcat.

Hmm, I don't think I understand...I have 8 separate key presses that I need to map, so I need more than just 4 positions and be able to assign the diagnals as well. I am using it for Jester with the Tomcat.

I don't think we can map the diagonal manually. Can't you bind the diagonal direction of a 8 way hat to the Jester thing directly in DCS? IRRC we can for view, I guess they designed that menu to work with 8 way hat.

I don't think we can map the onal manually. Can't you bind the diagonal direction of a 8 way hat to the Jester thing directly in DCS? IRRC we can for view, I guess they designed that menu to work with 8 way hat.

While running the TARGET script, I am unable to map any of the hats in DCS, I have to do it in the TARGET GUI. Without running the script, yes, I can map all 8 directions on the hat.

The TARGET software is really disapointing. I am going to try Joystick Gremlin and see if that can achieve want I want...map key presses to an axis and be able to map the 8 way hat.

While running the TARGET script, I am unable to map any of the hats in DCS, I have to do it in the TARGET GUI. Without running the script, yes, I can map all 8 directions on the hat.

With Target, you map stuff to your controller, THEN you map your controller to the game. Same with Gremlin or any other programming software.

While running the TARGET script, I am unable to map any of the hats in DCS, I have to do it in the TARGET GUI.

If you don't map your Hat in Target, then you won't be able to map them in the game.

ZcyYq3M.png

Note that you must remap almost all the other button as the default mapping isn't complete.

According to target.tmh only "simple" button are remapped by default :

int TWCSThrottleMap[] = {TBTN1, DX1, TBTN2, DX2, TBTN3, DX3, TBTN4, DX4, TBTN5, DX5};

Okay, I finally got everything to work!

What Ant0ine suggested above is what worked.

Mapping 4 of the hat positions to a DX direction made all 8 directions able to be mapped in game,

Thank you to everyone for all the help...happy flying!

Uhm.. So in fact, if I understand correctly you don't need to run a script at all to do what you want. Cause the top hat is mapped as 8 way by default (without running script) already.

Yes, that is correct; however, I needed to run the script to bind a key press to an axis which made is necessary to find out how to make the 8 way functional again in all 8 directions and mapped in DCS. I actually was able to make the ministick function as an 8 way and I use that for the Jester menu, which is what I ultimately wanted to achieve.

Again, thank you. I don't think I could have figured this all out without your help.

I see. In this case it is a bit annoying to have to remap the whole throttle, when we only want to change a few things.

For this reasons I advise you to have a look at Joystick Gremlin. The config you do in Gremlin come "on top" of the "original" controller. The original controller isn't hidden after the execution of a gremlin profile.

Note that joystick Gremlin can also be used on top of a Target script. I do it for exemple when I want my Warthog throttle which I run through target script editor, to be able to modify the behavior of some button on my VKB Gunfighter. Similarily to what we do in Target with IO UMD layer/shift.

Edited by Ant0ine