2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

I was expecting a DCS 2022 and Beyond video today in the newsletter. Might be coming later in the day... Last year's one was published 364 days ago 🙂

Besides that, it's great to see that VOIP is coming along nicely!

Edited by Jafergon
  • Like 4

Concerning the last newsletter,the discussion about the usefulness of modelling the pilot's watch in the Hind has already been discussed and everyone has their own ideas about it, but I hope that the next Open Beta will give us more progress on the Hind than just this one.
There is still a lot of work to do to get a complete and finished module and I hope, and I'm not the only one, that the Hind will not pay the price of other priority modules.
Hopefully Alexander's team is still fully dedicated to the Mi-24's progress.
I'm not sure that bringing forward the modelling of a watch as an advance on the Hind is the most welcome news for fans of this beautiful helicopter.

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1

• NineLine changed the title to 2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

I guess we'll see next week, but I'm wondering about the new Voice Chat Radio feature. From the documentation, it sounds like there will be fixed PTT keys that can be set in the controls for radios 1 through 4.

Now let's say I want my TM Warthog Mic Switch Forward to activate Radio 1 in the A-10C, and Radio 3 in the Huey. Will that be possible?

Edit: Almost forgot, the screenshot with the new radio overlay in the A-10C that shows the current FM and UHF radio control heads, but reads "ARC-210" didn't go unnoticed. 😄

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Yurgon said:

I guess we'll see next week, but I'm wondering about the new Voice Chat Radio feature. From the documentation, it sounds like there will be fixed PTT keys that can be set in the controls for radios 1 through 4.

Now let's say I want my TM Warthog Mic Switch Forward to activate Radio 1 in the A-10C, and Radio 3 in the Huey. Will that be possible?

Personally, it needs to be integrated with whatever PTT/mic switch in the modules. Firstly, because of keybind issues (such as the one you mentioned). But I also don't know how the fixed PTTs (1 for seperate radios) are going to work in stuff like the C-101, where there's only one transmit switch, with a dial to select what your going to transmit on.

There is the communications menu though, and to facilitate that, a short press could bring up the communications menu, and a long-press (which is what you'd do for a PTT) would inhibit the communications menu, and solely be for voice-chat.

I've made a wishlist for it, which can be found here.

The only thing I don't know is how custom radios are going to be handled though, perhaps the separate, fixed PTT keys can be used for those.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 minute ago, Northstar98 said:

Personally, it needs to be integrated with whatever PTT/mic switch in the modules.

Yeah, that would also be my favorite solution. But you already point out some of the modules that have more radios than PTT switches; the Huey would be another example.

These are problems that SRS was forced to solve, and has solved quite beautifully IMO.

4 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

There is the communications menu though, and to facilitate that, a short press could bring up the communications menu, and a long-press (which is what you'd do for a PTT) would inhibit the communications menu, and solely be for voice-chat.

I like that idea. But I also like to respond "Click click" instead of "Two, copy", especially when the radios are somewhat congested (or just generally because of my lazy nature). There's gotta be a reason they do that in real life as well. 😂

That wouldn't work too well with the idea you proposed.

Well, since we won't be getting sound effects right away, I could just say "click click" out loud for starters... 🤣

Edit: Almost forgot, the screenshot with the new radio overlay in the A-10C that shows the current FM and UHF radio control heads, but reads "ARC 210" didn't go unnoticed.
Pretty sure it will be per module, and for the Huey you should just use the trigger anyway.
I wonder more how this will affect compatibility with VAICOM.

EDIT: BTW

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forum.dcs.world/topic/288985-dcs-voice-chat-this-section/&share_tid=288985&share_fid=74365&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Pretty sure it will be per module, and for the Huey you should just use the trigger anyway. emoji6.png

When switching between Hornet and Hog, I keep messing up the HOTAS controls. Instead of going AP on, I toggle zoom one day, and then the next day instead of deactivating the autopilot, I flip off SAS and get a Master Caution.

In hind sight, I consider it a very wise choice that I use the same hat for comms in all modules, regardless of the actual PTT key. 😬

Edited by Yurgon
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Yeah, that would also be my favorite solution. But you already point out some of the modules that have more radios than PTT switches; the Huey would be another example.

Yeah, I don't get how it would work, whether ED intends to make the voice chat PTTs radio specific or module PTT switch specific (if you see what I mean), but currently (from the document in the newsletter anyway) it looks like the former.

10 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

I like that idea. But I also like to respond "Click click" instead of "Two, copy", especially when the radios are somewhat congested (or just generally because of my lazy nature). There's gotta be a reason they do that in real life as well. 😂

That wouldn't work too well with the idea you proposed.

Hmm, good point, perhaps a rethink is in order.

Would pressing the PTT for 2 long presses be acceptable? To use a morse code anaology, like keying 2 dashes instead of 2 dots? Probably wouldn't sound right once the sounds are implemented though...

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

When switching between Hornet and Hog, I keep messing up the HOTAS controls. Instead of going AP on, I toggle zoom one day, and then the next day instead of deactivating the autopilot, I flip off SAS and get a Master Caution.
In hind sight, I consider it a very wise choice that I use the same hat for comms in all modules, regardless of the actual PTT key.
Yeah, I was joking.
I tend to bind everything as close to what the module is anyway, that's easier for me to remember.
And since I use VAICOM, they radio PTTs switch automatically per module anyway. But I tend to use similar for one button airplanes on the Warthog and the trigger on my MS FFB2 for helicopters.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Would pressing the PTT for 2 long presses be acceptable?

As it stands, with SRS the short-press click-noise seems to go unnoticed by my wingies sometimes, so when I do that, I already try to remember to make somewhat longer clicks. But ideally, a single short tap of the mic PTT switch should emit an audible tone to anyone on freq, or at least that's my understanding of how it probably actually works IRL.

On the other hand, I really like the idea to use short and long presses to differentiate between the in-game radio overlay and a voice transmission. Works better than using different keys or modifiers and is probably one of the most elegant solutions in the long term.

11 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I tend to bind everything as close to what the module is anyway, that's easier for me to remember.

Right there with you, that totally makes sense!

With the Huey, however, I just couldn't bring myself to bind the trigger as the PTT key, and seeing how I sometimes mess up my controls between aircraft, that was probably a good choice indeed, seeing as mixing this one up could have 3900 more consequences per minute than just flipping SAS back on... 😄

• Like 2

Known issues: 

• MiG-19. Communication menu doesn’t work. Refuel/rearm workaround using Alt ‘

What does it mean? How shall I use ATC or any other communications (like AWACS in the training missions)?

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

2 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

Known issues: 

• MiG-19. Communication menu doesn’t work. Refuel/rearm workaround using Alt ‘

What does it mean? How shall I use ATC or any other communications (like AWACS in the training missions)?

It means that you won't be able to contact ATC or use EWRs or AEW&C aircraft.

System:

Someone have notice that at the end of the video "DCS WORLD | 2022 AND BEYOND" ...

There's a fast appearence of some coordinates 34° 56'46" 069°15'54" --> this is the location of Bagram AFB near Kabul-Afghanistan
There's a shot of the gun camera of the F-4E Phantom

So those are the "hidden" big news?? 

AFGHANISTAN and F-4E Phantom

😬😬😬😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack_Veil said:

Someone have notice that at the end of the video "DCS WORLD | 2022 AND BEYOND" ...

There's a fast appearence of some coordinates 34° 56'46" 069°15'54" --> this is the location of Bagram AFB near Kabul-Afghanistan
There's a shot of the gun camera of the F-4E Phantom

So those are the "hidden" big news?? 

AFGHANISTAN and F-4E Phantom

😬😬😬😬

yep watch to the end, here comes Afghanistan!! 

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

27 minutes ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

yep watch to the end, here comes Afghanistan!! 

Hind! Hip, Combined Arms…. Think we’ll get some Mujahideen as well? Soviet occupation could be a fun interesting Dynamic Campaign. 

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

Could the gunsight be from an A-6 Intruder? Same generation as the F-4. They are showing the model a lot for an AI only plane.  

Thought Paris and London being modeled is interesting. Hope they expand Channel to do Market Garden.

Edited by Grimleo

• NineLine locked and unpinned this topic