F18 Hornet UFC

tekadept

With my F16 ICP and the F18 Hornet Right Panel finalised the next step is to start working on the F18 Hornet UFC.

I have started to have a bit of a noodle, on it and started to make some design choices.

Firstly I am going strictly 2.5D, For the bottom row of buttons and Comm select rotaries the extra effort involved to get them realistic is not worth it so everything will be on the same level. However I definitely am going to be doing the Bezels, this is important for going by feel and will add some depth to the unit.

The Measurements I have and are using is 183mm Wide, 157mm High. If anybody has an exact measurement for the panels I can use please pass them on ????

A rough render is below showing the look I will be going for.

F18UFCREnder1-1.png

F18UFCREnder2-1-1024x466.png

I have been trying hard to source Decent 4 Digit 16 and 6 Digit 7 segment displays, but despite receiving some samples and testing, when it came to order the china suppliers became very problematic.

Based on the above, and the costs involved of working Displays I have decdied, at least initially to go for a Functional switch unit without displays. This will keep the price down, and me suitable for those in VR anyway.

As part of the design I will try and make it so that I could provide “add in” modules later for Displays, but I think this might be a bit more trouble than it is worth again, but it will still be in my mind.

With the lack of Displays and going for a Tacile only unit I am wondering if I even go to the bother of backlighting this version as well, I will see what impact it will have on the design as i go on.

Next I am going to start looking at how I am going to do the enlosure for this, once thats done I will start cutting out in MDF for test fitting and go from there.

Any feedback at this stage is welcome :)

"Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way" (Gen. George Patton)

https://www.tekcreations.space

This is good news. But I'll wait for the version with display and backlighting.

OS:Win10 64bit*/MB: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING / HD:SSD

CPU Type: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3700Mhz / Ram:32Gb DDR4

Mon: Dell AW3418DW LCD + 3 x CUBESIM displays.

Hotas : TM Warthog #4347 | #80897 | TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick / TM Pendular Rudder / Cougar MFDs / Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC / Elgato Stream Decks / Virpil T50-CM2 Base and Grip / Winwing Super Taurus | PCR | PTO / Monstechtech Desk Mounts 

• 1 month later...

So I have been quiet for a little while, I’ve been finishing off the F16 Right replica panels but I have also been working out the LCD displays.

Well the units I have been waiting for finally arrived china and I have come up with what I am going to do.

I have decided firstly, the unit will be back lit as per the F16 ICP, that is a definite go ahead on that one, the next thing with the scratch pad I have made a decision to go for a 6 digit display. The decimal point will be used for the frequency.

Now I thought I had a winner with the 16 Segment 4 digit displays, but unfortunately with them arriving, they are just too damn big. Using these would mean I would have to make the unit MUCH larger than the real thing which isn’t what I am looking at doing.

A picture below of the 6 digit Display lit up, and a picture of the 4 digits I got showing how big they are.

20191226_222832-1024x664.jpg

So now I have decided I am going full swing ahead with all units by default will come with back-lighting, and no displays (for the VR crowd), but the the 6 digit Scratchpad will be optional.

What I am doing though is with the failure of the larger displays, as I know exactly what size display I will use and how I want them to be implemented I will engineer the design for this. It will be an add in PCB that will be developed at a later stage and can be added into the earlier models.

Now I have that sorted and I have cut the top MDF for sizing, time to start working on the PCB and enclosure, More pics to come soon now xmas is behind us I just have to survive New years and it will be hard at work :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So my F18 Hornet UFC PCB’s Arrived yesterday YAY!

I made a few rookie mistakes, not allowing enough clearance for the pots with connectors but nothing to catastrophic as I can just solder the cables direct to the board. V2 will fix that.

I am a bit short on time at the moment, but I was keen to get this lit up.

I went through and put the top plate on, Next up was putting the buttons on (the bottom aren’t going on just yet as I need to work out the Bezel first before I commit to that) and lit it up, yep works a treat.

20200117_120107-1024x784.jpg

Next was some quick and dirty DCSBIOS coding to enable the scratchpad, voila

20200117_121534-1024x744.jpg

20200117_121537-1024x527.jpg

The 4 Option LED is just a placeholder to check the size, I am not doing anything with those until the base unit is fully up and running and Hopefully by then my stock of this will have arrived and I can begin designing the boards.

For the channel Displays I have something in the works as well, but that one may come later than the options..

Next up I am working on the Bezels, and then the enclosure.

All i can say is i can vouch for your products, your pricing is affordable, and you process orders in a reasonable timeframe (made to order).

Have your F-16ICP and its pretty impressive when flying looks and feels great price also very decent compared to other solutions.

FWrDTnn.jpg

Thanks dailey123, glad you like the ICP and appreciate the feedback.

So now it is time to finish off what we started earlier,

I have now added on some bezels and finished off the bottom buttons, I’ve used MDF to fill in the spaces of future displays, For the initial and versions and those happy without I might just use some black acrylic as the placeholders.

20200120_215013-1024x498.jpg

20200120_215054-1-1024x498.jpg

Now Unfortunately The Matte black acrylic doesn’t colour match with the top plate material, I spent a bit of time researching today but I just cannot get anything that is going to be a better match. It is just going to have to be unfortunately , but I think its a small sacrifice, and by the nature of them if anything does come up in the future its easy to replace.

I finished up the quick and dirty version of the code and we have a brief video below

So now I have a basic functioning UFC I’m going to finish off the enclosure design and do a bit of tidying on the PCB and tweak a few hole placements.

With this design it is just the UFC, but I have allowed for expandability of a unit for the Hud Controls, that will be able to be connected (I just need to figure out how first LOL)

Still awaiting some parts before I can work on the other displays, Slowly getting closer and closer.

Awesome. Looks nice. Any estimates about the price?

Could we see some pictures of the electronics?

Thanks.

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Yep getting close, I have unfortunately been delayed by the china extended break due to the Corona Virus.

I will be releasing 3 units soon that I have on hand that are Purely VR only, no guarantees of future displays other then scratchpad ever working on these 3 units. Signup at the link

https://www.tekcreations.space/product/f18-ufc-usb-controller/ to be notified.

Pic of the electronics

myXAx6Y.jpg

Looking good PeneCruz,

Currently still held up with pushing into full release mode with the China issues.

I keep getting told by the reps "production resuming soon". As soon as I get the needed supplies I can start releasing the base units slowly and resume testing the my option display prototypes. I have the displays just not the chip to control them :/ or a PCB to mount cleanly.

I have parts to build 2 more early VR only designs but they are spoken for by previous reservations, if that changes I'll post here.

Is there any kind of waiting list / pre-order? Would like to pre-order the UFC together with the right replica panel

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

At the moment I don't want to take preorders as its an unknown period of time until I can get back up and running from my suppliers.

I would feel bad hanging onto peoples money if delays dragged on and not how I want to operate, I'm not a kickstarter :)

The best bet is on the page https://www.tekcreations.space/product/f18-ufc-usb-controller/?v=6cc98ba2045f

You can subscribe to register interest. What will happen once I'm able to take orders you will get an email, I can see date subscribed so even if the order doesn't come in a certain timeframe, preference would be weighted towards earlier subscribers..

Unfortunately its the best I can offer at the moment.

Thank you for your answer! I've already subscribed and Keep my fingers crossed your supplier can ramp up production soon! Thanks again!!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb