Walleye

hanab

It allows you to guide the bomb all the way to impact using the camera on the bomb itself. I, personally, don't see myself using it that often.

Maybe in a historic-type mission where GBUs and LGBs are not available.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

• ED Team
It allows you to guide the bomb all the way to impact using the camera on the bomb itself. I, personally, don't see myself using it that often.

Maybe in a historic-type mission where GBUs and LGBs are not available.

It depends, it can be locked on before launch and guide on its own (like a Maverick), or if the datalink AWW-13 pod it is loaded, it supports man-in-the-loop post launch operator guidance. The datalink pod and guidance is taking a bit to develope (being worked on right now), but the same tech will be used for the SLAM and SLAM-ER.

Thanks

I got a question though wasn't the walleye retired from US service in the mid 90's so why are we getting it on our jet? I was just wondering about this as were not getting durandal's for the 18 even though they could carry them, even if they never really did.

Because it’s in this list : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3285514&postcount=13

does the AWW-13 pod need to be on the launching aircraft? can a buddy guide my Walleye?

The Walleye preceded laser guided weapons. The AGM-62 Walleye is a television-guided glide bomb. Guidance to the target is from a little television in the bomb itself and it glides steering with the fins on the rear end.

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

The datalink pod and guidance is taking a bit to develope (being worked on right now), but the same tech will be used for the SLAM and SLAM-ER.

Hey, you did it already once in Jane's F/A-18 :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I got a question though wasn't the walleye retired from US service in the mid 90's so why are we getting it on our jet? I was just wondering about this as were not getting durandal's for the 18 even though they could carry them, even if they never really did.

Because the F/A-18C was not just able to employ it IRL, but actually did so.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi,

I saw that the next weapon will be the walleye bomb. I do not know this bomb. What does she add more ? We already have jdam, gbu or maverick, what will be the advantages or disadvantages of walleye?

Thanks

Easy. Imagine an overcast sky, you need to strike a moving target and you want to stay at safe altitude. You can release the walleye over the clouds to the approximate target location and then acquire the target when the bomb is under the cloud layer.

AGM62 has its own characteristics. But one of the reasons why we expect it is that we need to use the data link pod to throw it. The data link pod is used for SLAM and SLAM-ER at the same time, and the completion of AGM62 may speed up the progress of SLAM and SLAM-ER. This is the most powerful long-range weapon F/A18 can possess.

AWW-13 pod

(...) AWW-13 pod it is loaded (...)

Thanks

My understanding is that the "man-in-the-loop" option means one station is taken away by the pod itself, is this correct? Can it be chin-mounted same as the TGP (not in DCS yet)?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Can the Walleye track a moving vehicle in autonomous delivery?

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

TV on the bomb sounds great. Normally i don't see myself using it but onboard tv guidance will be fun. Certanly i will be using it

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Will it be possible to buddy-guide the Walleye?

It really should be, based on real life, as that is how many walleyes were guided in Vietnam because of a shortage of data-link pods.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

It depends, it can be locked on before launch and guide on its own (like a Maverick), or if the datalink AWW-13 pod it is loaded, it supports man-in-the-loop post launch operator guidance. The datalink pod and guidance is taking a bit to develope (being worked on right now), but the same tech will be used for the SLAM and SLAM-ER.

Thanks

After completing AGM62, does SLAM need to be redesigned and developed? I remember that SLAM already exists in DCS, but only AI can use it at present.

There are some good points here. Dropping through clouds makes it more versatile than an LGB, so is the BDA benefit of seeing exactly where the bomb hit.

I wonder if you can drop multiples. If you guide them in the order they are dropped, you could ripple a bunch of these a few seconds apart, at different targets.

If we get Walleye, I will be dumping my JDAMs, GBUs and Mavericks and ONLY use this weapon. Fire and forget is so yesterday.

I mean, who wants to fire and forget right? I wanna drive that baby all the way to the target so I can see the surprised look on OPFORs faces... :megalol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Because the F/A-18C was not just able to employ it IRL, but actually did so.

c92.jpg

I have been unable to find any anecdotal references to its use by Hornets ( especially c models) in actual combat. Various sources saying hornets could but was otherwise employed on intruders and a7s as late as the gulf war but retired entirely shortly afterwards.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I have been unable to find any anecdotal references to its use by Hornets ( especially c models) in actual combat. Various sources saying hornets could but was otherwise employed on intruders and a7s as late as the gulf war but retired entirely shortly afterwards.

I didn't say combat. I don't know if (C-)Hornets have used them in actual combat, but they did in training. I think Jello from the Fighter Pilot Podcast has mentioned that IIRC.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg